New tattoo!! (potentially explicit/offensive)

Options
believetoachieve
believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
Sooo... I finally got my tattoo! I've wanted it for ages, and finally did it as a birthday gift to myself (23, wooo!). It's a black heart on my hip, really low down (which is kinda an issue for healing!). I have some questions!!

1. I got it last night... I heard it shouldn't flake/scab for a few days.... but mine looks like it's almost flaking already, and it's been less than a day. I am a *very* fast healer though, could this be why? A teeny tiny bit of ink came out when I washed it this evening, thats normal too?

2. Should I be putting lotion on it? The artist said 4-5x a day to keep it from becoming dry, but I'd heard it should be left alone. Thoughts?

3. How long should I wait before going tanning? What about sexual activity? And gym (running, MMA)?

4. Should I keep my pants from touching it? It's SO low down on my hipbone that if I pull my pants down, half my bum shows lol. :blushing:

5. What do you think?! :heart:

Pics are below! The first is from yesterday, the rest are from today :bigsmile:

rvvu5h.jpg

33z90dg.jpg

2nuod54.jpg

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    YES KEEP IT MOIST! tat wax is amazing. You don't want it to be dry and flaky or the ink scab will flake off and you'll lose parts of your tattoo (you'll have light spots). Seriously, keeping it lubricated is tip #1 for having a tattoo heal correctly without losing as much ink.

Tanning I'm not sure (google it - a couple weeks?), but put sunscreen on it anytime it sees any sun or tanning bed or it will fade.

Really, I just wanted to comment to tell you that you should get some tat wax if you can find it and to keep it moist. I only have 3 tattoos but one of them lost a small scab prematurely and lost some ink :(

Edit because I forgot to say I like it! It's cute :)
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Any tats that are outline only do peel much faster than colored/more detailed tats...usually in 1-3 days. It is perfectly normal for there to be some ink seepage in the first day or two, even more if there is more ink (colored in). Once it's completely peeled, you don't really need to worry about lotion; the whole point is that you want it to peel naturally and slowly so that the dry skin doesn't pull the ink out. You only need to keep it from touching anything if you're worried about ink ruining your clothes or there is pain. If you are using lotion or neosporin, the goop on the pants is not attractive. I would not jump right in the tanning bed because your skin needs time to heal. Again, most of the general rules only apply to those tats with colors, because colors are known to fade.
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It looks good.

When I got mine a few years ago mine started flaking that night.

and YES PUT LOTION ON IT! I didn't do it one day and it made it very painful.

I was told when I got mine to not go in the sun for at least 7 days (like laying out etc).

I was also told to not let my pants touch it (I have a so called "tramp stamp" so that was hard but when I let my pants touch it it caused some of the scab to pull of and cause it to bleed (which is partly why I think some of my colors not as good).

Ink coming off is normal, but not a whole lot should and it should only be for the first day or so.

Congrats!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Lubriderm lotion works well in a pinch, and you get a whole bottle for cheap. Keep it moist for awhile.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i never have had either of the 2 tattoos i had scab or flake, i use non scented soft soap wash it clean pat dry then i put bacitracin (sp?) on it and put some plastic wrap over it and tape it on to me. i do it longer then they say cause i am cautious about it lol but it always heals and no scab or dryness ever.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the ink!!!!!!! Love it! And you certainly deserve it!!!!! :) I'm addicted with my 8... and i want more!

Because of the position, with the clothing rubbing it, and also, all of my "all black" tats look like they scabbed and flaked a little earlier than normal. It's also possible to squeeze a bit of ink out too, like you mentioned.... just keep an eye on it. Most tat shops offer a touch up about a month after the tattoo is done to fill in those spots that either got missed, or that ooze out a bit.

Yes, put lotion on it. Many places vary on what they want you to use..... but generally, a lotion with no odor, like Lubriderm, or vaseline intensive care. Just make sure it's odor/fragrance free, and make sure that it's not dry!

I wouldn't do tanning for a bit, but if you "have" to, place a small bit of gauze over the area, to keep the UV rays from drying it out. Sex should be fine, but if you're rubbing against things, maybe a bit of gauze would help that, too.

I would do your best to keep things from rubbing it. Obviously, you can't do that if you're working or what not, but at home, keep your pants as low as possible, just to keep it from being rubbed so it doesn't irritate it.

Good luck!!! :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A&D diaper rash lotion. Seriously. Get it. Slather it.

Also, you may want to check the crop on that first pic a little more carefully, girlie. lol
  • jtaigel
    Options
    Looks cute.. i got mine on the top of my thigh and was told not to have anyone else touch it (sexual activity) until its healed... mind you it was my uncle who was the tattooist so I can imagine him saying that - but its best for you to only touch it with CLEAN hands... i used bepantham (pink stripe) and found that it kept mine extremely moist and i didnt flake at all..

If your talking about fake tan.. i was told not to let it get in at all.. basicly dont let anyone touch it or put any other lotions on or around it until its fully heeled that will save you from infection etc..

Hope this helps :) x
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Also, you may want to check the crop on that first pic a little more carefully, girlie. lol

Yea was thinking the same >.<
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options

LOL
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i got a new tat 2 weeks ago, and i will tell you the instructions i got. i got a set of paw prints as part of a charity fundraiser...best charity donation ever :P mine is mostly shading, so it's kinda the same as just an outline.

i had a black bandage they put on after, and was told to keep that on for 24 hrs. after i took it off, i was supposed to wash the tat with a simple soap...such as ivory or dove (fragrance and colour free). pat it dry, and then leave it alone for another 24hrs. after that 24 hrs, i was told to wash it the same as the first time, and then rub a scent free lotion like lubriderm or glaxol base on it 3-5x a day. i was also told NOT to use tat wax or neosporin because they inhibit the skin/tat from being able to breath. hence using just a simple moisture lotion, it will keep things moist, but not be a waxy layer that the skin can't breath through. my tat started to flake pretty soon after the black bandage came off, but it only lasted a few days. and any time it felt itchy i would do the washing and lotion thing. it was fully healed in less than a week. mine is on the front of my shoulder, so i always had a bra strap rubbing against it and it never affected it, just the occasional itchiness as it rubbed, so i am sure pants and underwear will be alright against yours.

i have a big back tat as well, but got that done years ago, i don't remember too much about how the healing went with that except i had to get my mom to wash it and moisturize it because i couldn't reach. learned my lesson for sure...now i will only get tats i can see without the aid of a mirror and can easily reach :P
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep it moist!!!! Wait a few days for the lotion in case it scabs. Dial soap is your best friend!!! The orange stuff with the pump....just the original not the foamy stuff!. You should be cleaning it two the three times a day and apply an A&D or Aquaphor ointment to it as needed.... and you only need a little tiny dab since it's so small. If you apply to much that also will draw the color out. After a few days (3-4) you can start using a non scented lotion.

I worked in a tattoo shop for 3 years (Just left in July) and my best friend is an artist. I have 4 tattoos of all different sizes. One large enough that I sat in the chair for 5 hours (I know people have been there longer). Every artist has different after care instructions and it's best to go off what they tell you since it's their art and their ink. Most inks require as certain healing process. You also have to pay attention to the way your body heals, everyone is different. Whatever you do DO NOT SCRATCH IT anytime in like the next month. Also try and remember that even when I looks like it's all healed up; it's not quite done yet. I'd give it a whole month before you skin is like "ok it's there". Good luck and Congrats!!!!

P.S. - you're hooked now!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

buahahaha. :heart:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    1. What did you tattoo artist say?

2. What did your tattoo artist say?

3. What did your tattoo artist say?

4. What did your tattoo artist say?

5. Very cute :)

Please don't listen to anyone's advice but your artist's!!! Just because people have tattoos does NOT mean they're experts!!!
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    1. What did you tattoo artist say?

2. What did your tattoo artist say?

3. What did your tattoo artist say?

4. What did your tattoo artist say?

5. Very cute :)

Please don't listen to anyone's advice but your artist's!!! Just because people have tattoos does NOT mean they're experts!!!

She's got it right mama!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Our tattoo artist always recommends washing it with Dial Gold Antibacterial and putting lubriderm or aquaphor on it. :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My advice when puttin on lotion. Wash your hands witih s gentle soap and rinse well...

Don't get the bright idea to clean your hands with hand sanitizer....

I have a foot-long tattoo on myself and did that the first time before applying lotion...

Felt like Chewbacca massaging my ribs with an angry upside down porcupine.

So serious.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Yea was thinking the same >.<
    Party poopers.
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Our tattoo artist always recommends washing it with Dial Gold Antibacterial and putting lubriderm or aquaphor on it. :)

Yep, that's what I was told to do with mine too!

I have 2 hearts on my wrist, LOVE the heart tattoo! :)
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's day four today, and it's gotten red again?? I think it's getting dry, but I keep moisturizing and it's not getting much better. Should I put polysporin or something on it? Is it true that petroleum products will pull the ink out? :ohwell: