Signs that you need to eat more

Options
During the last 3-4 days, I'd get weak and shaky towards the end of my cardio sessions. I'm interpreting it as a sign that I need to up my calories, so that's what I'm going to try for the next couple of weeks. Going from 1250 net to 1350 net.

For those of you who have also upped calories during your journey, what were your signs?

Replies

• Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Being hungry and irritable all the time.
  • Lydialane
    Options
    I'd black out after standing up from sitting or laying down. Sometimes I would wake up on the ground or it wouldn't last long enough and I'd catch myself from falling.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I upped mine tonight because I am tired and hungry all the time. It makes me nervous that I won't keep losing, but I reset my goals from losing 1 a week to .5 a week, at least until I feel better. Hope it works for both of us!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I upped mine tonight because I am tired and hungry all the time. It makes me nervous that I won't keep losing, but I reset my goals from losing 1 a week to .5 a week, at least until I feel better. Hope it works for both of us!

You may find that you will lose even faster by giving your body more fuel.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body first of all. If you feel sluggish, etc. during a calorie deficit. Adjust your intake until you don't feel sluggish. That's usually a platform to start from.
  • saw12183
    Options
    Sometimes it's not the number of calories you consume, it's the origin of the calories. Shakiness and weakness could be a sign of low blood sugar. Try consuming more complex carbs, i.e. proteins. You can also try having a small snack before intense workouts, this may help, too. Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not the number of calories you consume, it's the origin of the calories. Shakiness and weakness could be a sign of low blood sugar. Try consuming more complex carbs, i.e. proteins. You can also try having a small snack before intense workouts, this may help, too. Good luck on the rest of your journey!
    I'm already eating 1g per body weight in pounds, so I'm not sure if I should eat any more protein! Maybe I should try varying the source of protein though... some red meat and fish here and there instead of Greek Yogurt and chicken breast every day.

But it could very well be blood sugar issues as you said. Which could become a problem... My mom is diabetic, and I really don't want to have to worry about my blood sugar the way she does!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Stopped losing weight was my sign. It worked! I do a 1600 net now.
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can't tell by your username if you are Male or Female however, have you kept track of your iron intake? I added Iron in my Food Diary and was surprised to see that I never reach the goal amount. If your iron is low you can also experience fatigue and weakness. Today I confirmed that my iron level are fine, but then I started to take a One-a-day plus iron vitamin at least 3x /week.
  • withchaco
    Options
    Can't tell by your username if you are Male or Female however, have you kept track of your iron intake? I added Iron in my Food Diary and was surprised to see that I never reach the goal amount. If your iron is low you can also experience fatigue and weakness. Today I confirmed that my iron level are fine, but then I started to take a One-a-day plus iron vitamin at least 3x /week.
    Female :) I'm considering that too, so I started taking multivitamin.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm still tweaking mine. I tweaked it from losing 1.5 lb/week to 1 lb/week. I've gone from active to very active back down to active and I'm debating going back up to very active. If I'm being careful to eat mostly protein, fiber and complex carbs and am still really hungry, I try upping it and seeing how it goes. So far so good. Also sorry if I missed it but you're eating back exercise cals right?
  • withchaco
    Options
    Also sorry if I missed it but you're eating back exercise cals right?
    That I am! Almost every one of them.
  • adhillman01
    Options

Proteins are not complex carbs. Complex carbs are whole grain breads/pastas, legumes and starchy vegetables. These will release sugar into your blood stream more slowly and prevent a "crash" of your blood sugar. Proteins have much less of an effect on your blood sugar than carbs. You could also try a small simple carbohydrate snack right before your workout that will provide glucose immediately. I just started using Powerbars (not the protein ones) right before my runs, you could try that.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I get light-headed. I have to say it doesn't happen often. My daughters ask me at least once a day what my net calories are. If it is too low, they bring me a healthy snack all on their own. I have the sweetest girls!
  • withchaco
    Options
    I get light-headed. I have to say it doesn't happen often. My daughters ask me at least once a day what my net calories are. If it is too low, they bring me a healthy snack all on their own. I have the sweetest girls!
    Aww, that is awesome.
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    After my workout tonight my stomach got nauseated. I figured I didn't eat enough today so I had some almonds and that did the trick. Tomorrow I will up my calories.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Definitely make sure you eat something 1-2 hours before working out, preferably something with carbs. I usually do strawberries or raspberries. If I don't, I sometimes get dizzy, especially if I'm doing strength training.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That was exactly what I was planning on saying! :) I notice the same weakness/shakiness if I didn't eat well before working out. I'm fine for 30 min after eating whatever, but a 60 min routine requires a little more!
  • saw12183
    Options
    I'm sorry, i misspoke. I meant a combination of more complex carbs and protein would help.
  • jennmo77
    Options
    Im having a hard time with the weight loss this week. I lost 2lbs and then gained them back after I changed my calorie goal according to my weight. I dont make up the extra calories lost wehn I exercise, does anyone eat the calories they lost during exercise????