Cheating Days

Options
What do you all think of the Cheating a day in a week? Many trainers recommend that you have a rest and eat what ever you want once a week. I've lost 3kg (7lb) since starting 3 weeks ago then I went out to dinner a couple of nights ago and put on 1 kg. I'm so annoyed and now thinking that's not a good idea.

Please write in with your experiences and thoughts.

Ta.
11192906.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hm, I'd maybe cheat for a MEAL... you can do a lot of damage in 1 day if you completely drop everything. I'd suggest just treating yourself whenever you want, but making it fit in your calories and macros. Then you'll never go crazy and need these binge days.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i've had major cheat days like once a week for the past 3 weeks or so.. because my boyfriend has been concerned that i've lost a little too much weight so he treats me to fattening meals ...& then end up being a pound less the next day or two simply because my stomach isn't used to taking in the "cheat" foods so they give me the runs! "/ .. & i really don't want to lose any more weight!
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    Yes, a Trainer @ my Job tells me the same. But then I go to work it off by riding 12 mi. on the bike :) lol....
  • bnigh001
    Options
    I have a cheat day. and I do, eat what I want.. if it's out to eat, I still make a way better choice than I used to, and usually only eat half of what I get and take the other half home or just dont even bother. If it's pizza or fast food, I'll eat/order half of what I used to consume.. that way I still get the taste, just dont over do it.

I still keep my limits in mind, but I do splurge and eat what I want, just not a ton of it! Also, the typical person's weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs a day, so just because the day before you were 1 lb less than the day after, doesn't defeat your accomplishment. It could be water weight if you had too much sodium on your cheat day?

Don't beat yourself up over it! Hope this helps!! (:
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been logging on here for over 100 days straight and have not had a cheat day. I'm too worried to lose track of everything. However, my boyfriend is making me take a cheat day for my birthday, he's taking me on a date and wants me not to look up the menu and calories before we go and just not worry about it.

I get kind of obsessed and he wants me to relax lol I obsess when I lose less weight one week than the one before.

However, I think one cheat a week is too much. Maybe every other week. Especially for people who just started, you have to get used to this.
  • deb_sully
    Options
    I have found that if I don't let myself cheat once in awhile, I will absolutely go bonkers craving things. It is something about our subconscious that goes a little crazy when we believe we are deprived. I kind of agree with others that a cheat is something you can do for a meal but maybe not all day. Who knows? It's kinda different for different people. Personally I treat myself now and then.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    My day is Sunday since it's my hubby's only day off we usually take the kids somewhere fun and eat out at some point. I don't call it a cheat day though, I call it my day.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I used to follow the MFP guidelines during the weekdays, and go out to dinner on the weekends with my sweetheart...followed by a movie with sweets and popcorn...
    Totally NOT worth it! I ended up gaining-of course-!
    I'm a total sweets monster, and constantly crave cookies, chocolate, ice cream, donuts...
    so every now and again I'll allow myself a fun sized chocolate, or something, but I'll make sure it fits in to my calories. :>
    Cheaters never prosper :o
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm too paranoid to have a cheat day. I migt have like a cheat meal maybe if you count a slice of pizza, but its still counted in my calorie count and its a planned cheat cause I know we're having it when we do. so its not really a cheat. I'm afraid if I stray from my plan then I'll fall off the wagon as I've done so many times before. I'm not gonna do it again. this time I will succeed!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I say if you're going cheat-eat the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight 200+ calories you can get from exercise that day, that way you won't gain or lose. Otherwise eating too much may make you fall off the wagon.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I believe in having "rest" days from exercise and "treats" with eating, but not full-blown "cheat days." As another user pointed out, you can do a LOT of damage in one day! I'm a number-nerd and I like to view my calories as if I can choose how to "spend" them. Do I want two Hershey's Kisses or do I want an apple? My choice depends on my mood and my hunger, but I choose how to "spend" them. So going with the spending theory - If you're trying to save money (like with dieting - you're trying to "save" calories), does it make sense to go on a shopping spree once a week? Even if you've been SO good the other days, it's still dollars (or calories) "spent" and won't help you attain your ultimate goal. LITTLE treats every day or a special meal once in awhile are more the way to go. Just make sure it's not too often. :)
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i dont cheat.

i have all things in moderation and have been successful since i joined back in may, this isnt about depravation and it is not a race. its about learning how to make healthy choices for the rest of your life, you have to take the good along with the bad and just get back on track starting today keep working out and and eating right, you body will adjust and the pounds will drop off again.

the fact that you have trainer is a nsv by itself.

good luck and keep it moving.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I definitely treat myself from time to time. I'll get ice cream, or a cupcake, something like that. But I don't have a day where I don't log calories or go over my limit. No matter what I stay underneath, but sometimes it's with less healthy food.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a cheat anything! Call it a treat :) we all need them! A whole day is never a good idea.. Is there ever a place or time cheating down a box of Oreos or whole bag o' chips is ok?? Of course not! But to go out & enjoy a dinner without worrying too much is good! If a 4 ounce steak will fill yah then get that & don't bother with the 6 or 8 ounce.. Enjoy your baked potato with all the toppings or enjoy that big plate of pasta.. But if you get full stop! don't say oh this is my cheat day I can finish!

I also find that if your good most days & a special day like a birthday comes along then enjoy yourself! Don't let food rule your entire life just make the best choices you can most of the time :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    That sort of anarchy is why I'm here in the first place :P
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days and rest days but RARELY are they the same day. If I have a rest day where I don't exercise then I try to make sure I stay well within (under) my calorie goal - currently 1200 - 1600 . If I splurge food wise I try to make sure that I have done at least something to burn (at least some of) it off - i.e. an evening walk, trip to the gym, a bike ride... whatever. But allowing a cheat day helps your metabolism catch up and reset... it shakes up your system.

not to mention that for me allowing myself a cheat keeps me on the straight and narrow in the long run.

When we go out I rarely look at menus before hand but I still try to be reasonable. This has back fired a number of times - you would be surprised some of the things that are still horrible even in small portions - but I learn and get going again the next day.

But going out is a treat to be with the people not for the food. And one day is not going to derail anything unless you let it. we are here to make true lifestyle permanent changes. Are you going to go through the rest of your life never having a cheat or rest? Learn how to do it now. And don't make yourself crazy.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    I have cheat meals..I don't throw the whole day away.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    That sort of anarchy is why I'm here in the first place :P

LOL touche
  • mtnmaw
    mtnmaw Posts: 15
    Options
    I go for a splurge now and then...say one meal in a weeks time or so. I think it slows my weight loss down, but helps me with my cravings, and helps me so I don't feel deprived. My husband enjoys those meals (usually out) also, and sometimes tells me I need a splurge.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days.

I eat what I want, when I want it - but I eat it in moderation. I read labels, measure out serving sizes, eat those and move on.

For me, having to wait for a certain day or certain meal to consume foods that I love -- well, that feels WAY too much like a diet. If I'm able to eat what I want, when I want it - it feels more like a lifestyle change and something I can live with for the rest of my life. :)