I am NOT 'overweight and 40'!

Options
UpEarly
UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
I joined MFP on April 10th, 2011 with the goal of losing enough weight to be in the healthy BMI range by my 40th birthday. I didn't weigh in on my actual birthday, because there was lots of champagne and cake involved in that day, but I did weigh in today. I am so proud to say that my BMI is now 23.9! I'd like to lose another 10-20 pounds for vanity's sake, but that's just the icing on the cake (so to speak). :-)

What worked for me was moderation. I did lots of low/moderate intensity cardio (mostly long hikes in the mountains near my house) and circuit-style weight workouts every now and then. I watched portions and total calories - but I did not 'diet', count carbs/fat/sugar/sodium or have a list of bad foods I vowed to never eat again. I found success while still enjoying foods like pizza, cheeseburgers, fries, ice cream and cupcakes. (and of course, lots of veggies, fruits, lean meat, yogurt, etc) I just learned how to eat everything in moderation. I consumed between 1750-2500 calories a day, depending on my exercise calories. I set MFP to keep me on track to lose half a pound a week, but my actual loss exceeded that. (I ended up losing about six pounds a month).

Beyond the smaller clothing sizes and numbers on the scale, I have seen vast improvements in my overall health. My blood pressure, which was borderline high (130/85), is now normal and healthy (110/75). My resting heart rate in in the low 60s. And I have tons of energy. I feel fantastic!

I'm hoping that my weight loss will continue at a slow, ambling pace and that sometime next year I'll be back at my high school weight. If I don't get there, that's OK too. I'm happy to have made it this far. :-)

Replies

• Prettyasmi
    Options
    Great Going Dear!!! I too wish to loose 40 LBS lets see..
  • Clairelola
    Options
    Wow well done you that's fantastic.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Yeahh you!!!

That sounds very similar to my journey, although I am a few years older than you. I too, used portion control, moderation, and exercise to lose my weight. I am currently trying to eat more fruits and veggies, and less junk food, but I never plan to cut anything out completely. I don't think that would ever work over the long haul for me. I have now maintained for a full year, and if you count from the actual date I started mfp, it is almost 2 years now! I truly believe I can do this for life.

Also, like you, my BP is now normal, and I feel fit and healthy.

As a bonus, for the first time in my life I actually LIKE exercising. I look for opportunities for running, etc! What a change!

Good luck to you, and cngrats!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP on April 10th, 2011 with the goal of losing enough weight to be in the healthy BMI range by my 40th birthday. I didn't weigh in on my actual birthday, because there was lots of champagne and cake involved in that day, but I did weigh in today. I am so proud to say that my BMI is now 23.9! I'd like to lose another 10-20 pounds for vanity's sake, but that's just the icing on the cake (so to speak). :-)

What worked for me was moderation. I did lots of low/moderate intensity cardio (mostly long hikes in the mountains near my house) and circuit-style weight workouts every now and then. I watched portions and total calories - but I did not 'diet', count carbs/fat/sugar/sodium or have a list of bad foods I vowed to never eat again. I found success while still enjoying foods like pizza, cheeseburgers, fries, ice cream and cupcakes. (and of course, lots of veggies, fruits, lean meat, yogurt, etc) I just learned how to eat everything in moderation. I consumed between 1750-2500 calories a day, depending on my exercise calories. I set MFP to keep me on track to lose half a pound a week, but my actual loss exceeded that. (I ended up losing about six pounds a month).

Beyond the smaller clothing sizes and numbers on the scale, I have seen vast improvements in my overall health. My blood pressure, which was borderline high (130/85), is now normal and healthy (110/75). My resting heart rate in in the low 60s. And I have tons of energy. I feel fantastic!

I'm hoping that my weight loss will continue at a slow, ambling pace and that sometime next year I'll be back at my high school weight. If I don't get there, that's OK too. I'm happy to have made it this far. :-)
    Congrats! This is also how I view weight loss/maintenance. You don't have to eat like a total health nut to be healthy. There are so many other factors that play into it and it's good to hear from others who are having success with moderate eating and activity.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I love that positive attitude! Yours is truly a success story!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Moderation all the way!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I'm happy to have made it this far. :-)

Great job! Of all that you've said... this is by far the most important. Like you, I've got a "goal" of losing more weight... I do... but it's kind of become secondary to being healthy & having fun since I lost 25lbs & 24ins. Now that I'm down from a size 13 to a size 7, I don't really focus on what I eat so much anymore either. True, I still buy low cal salad dressing, lean meat, fat free yogurt, & eat fruit like it's going out of style (well, it's going out of season anyway), but I don't restrict myself from the occasional fish and chips dinner (OMG - that was SO good!) it's not like I eat that way every day anymore.

And really? The weight is still being maintained. Sure, I'd like to drop about 10-12 more lbs, but again, that's for vanity. I feel good. Stong. Successful. I know I CAN lose the rest if I want to, if I put the work in. And it's the believing in myself that's new, & makes all the difference in the world.

Congratulations on your success. Cheers! :drinker:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Great work!!
  • Goalinsight
    Goalinsight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Many, many congratulations. I think the method you have chosen is the way to maintain a healthy weight. At the moment I am celebrating being not obese and in my 40s! But I'll definitely use you as my inspiration to keep going. Well done to you.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    great going ! inspirational. thanks for sharing
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Nice job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!