Shopping on an extreme budget

Options
Due to some new financial constraints I need to cut back my spending in a major way in all aspects of my life.
I've never shopped on a budget before. I'm a person who just shops, spends whatever, and deals with the bank account later.
Its never been a problem really, but I wont be able to do that anymore.

I'm thinking I need to spend no more than $100 a month, less if possible, for just me.
Anyone have any tips, ideas, cheap healthy go to meals?
I think I will be doing most of my shopping at Aldi. I'm going to have to say good bye to Whole Foods :<

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy generic. Make sure to look through the ads of the grocery stores near you and check for coupons. Often times, if you shop the sales, it is cheaper to continue to buy brand name things you like, so don't automatically go for cheap stuff as it could still end up being more epensive.

If you have any ethnic grocery stores around you, try them for produce. I've found them to have much cheaper and much higher quality produce than big chain grocery stores.

For meats, check out the large family sized packages (not frozen or prepackaged stuff, but the stuff you get in the butcher section of the store that they'll package for you). The larger packages are often cheaper and you can freeze much of it and use it when you are in the mood for that meat, but it isn't currently on sale.

Also, check out the price per ounce to help determine which is a better deal.
  • badgeronabicycle
    Options
    Are you based in London? If so, I know a place called Bumblebee in Chalk Farm where you can buy things like beans, nuts and veggie mince by weight, which I think is cheaper than buying the tinned stuff from the supermarket, although it takes much longer to cook with dried stuff, especially beans. I've been a veggie student for a while now, and I make veggie chilli a lot - just need cheap tinned tomatoes, cheap kidney beans (Sainsbury's basics of these are great), a stack of spices, peppers, and some veggie mince (whatever's on offer). It's very yummy in wraps with some low fat yoghurt (again, Sainsbury's basics low fat plain yoghurt, or Aldi's one is fine!)
  • $100 a month on just you? No family to feed on that either? You will be just fine just remember to buy only what you need and will eat. Buy things like animal meat in bulk just once a month then go and buy your fresh fruits and veggies weekly.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ...and cook meals like soups and stews which are low in calorie and last you for a few days...
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would recommend e-mealz.com. It only costs $5 per month, and they put together your grocery list and recipes for all your dinners based on the type of diet you are on and where you shop (Aldi's is listed as well.)
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Meal planning can make a huge difference in your weekly food budget. Plan a week worth of meals using similar ingredients- if chicken breast is on sale that week, plan for mostly chicken breast based meals. In general it's cheaper to buy the ingredients to cook a meal than it is to buy a prepared meal. $25 a week will be a challenge to stick to but it CAN be done. Your freezer will become your new BFF as you can cook a meal, portion it out, and freeze whatever you don't eat in meal sized containers.
  • badgeronabicycle
    Options
    Also, when buying things in the supermarket, I always check the price per 100g/ per kg, rather than just checking the packet price, as often surprising things are cheaper!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    $100 a month? Meaning $25 dollars a week?

I guess that is doable, but I'm not sure you'll get all your proper nutrition.

Here are some recommendations:
    1.) Shop Online Coupons - There are lots of free sites
    2.) Buy the Sunday paper - More coupons
    a.) Pay attention to the circulars. You may have to go to multiple stores, but you'll save

Things to buy:
    Frozen Chicken
    Frozen Veggies (I prefer Green Giant Steamers)
    Brown Rice (In Bulk) - Name brand doesnt matter, brown rice is brown rice
    Cous-cous
    Beans and/or lentils

DRINK LOTS OF WATER....The more frozen stuff you buy, the more sodium...Counter act it as much as possible by drinking lots of water...I should say, the more store bought frozen stuff...
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • Whopooh
    Whopooh Posts: 50
    Options
    budgetbytes.com - great recipes and they are broken down by cost.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Try to buy produce from local stands. (This is easy for me to say from sunny South Florida.) But I can get a BUNCH of fruits, herbs, veggies to last me for a week+ many meals a day for $10-15. Plus you can make connections with the owners who might cut you a break. This little old man that works at the stand closest to me always gives me stuff. All it "costs" me is sharing my friendliness and a hug. :smile:

USDA's suggestions for thrifty, healthful meals.
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/FoodPlansRecipeBook.pdf

A list of "going green" links (chosen because there are many on buying produce locally)
    http://www.pocketmoxie.com/forums/showthread.php?392-Links-for-Going-Green

A list of general links on frugality:
    http://www.pocketmoxie.com/forums/showthread.php?403-Links-for-Living-a-Frugal-Lifestyle
  • leikelaferris
    Options
    Well, the good news is that produce is cheap! The bad news is that it is really hard to eat it all before it rots. Do you have any friends in a similar situation? It can be tricky to split bills with friends, but if you can find a healthy eating partner, it is cheaper and easier to divvy up lettuce, vegis, bags of fruit, grapes, etc... And, you can buy basics in bulk (also cheaper) and split those down the middle. Just like rent is cheaper when you are sharing with roomates then when flying solo. I am blessed to have a sister I get along with really well. For awhile I was just out of college starting my first job and she was working her way through vet school. We got away with a really cheap grocery bill by buying toilet paper, paper towels, and some cleaning supplies in bulk, as well as produce and meat, and splitting the cost and groceries down the middle.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Buy healthy foods that "stretch" into other meals, like lentils, brown rice, beans, quinoa, couscous, etc. Big Lots is a great source for buying higher-priced name brand foods at reduced prices. I've found Bob's Red Mill products there for a fraction of what I'd pay at my local supermarket or Whole Foods, plus many healthy cereals and protein drinks. They even sell Nutrisystem meals, if you're into that type diet food.

Here are a few frugal/thrifty websites which hold many tips, recipes and printable coupons:

http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/

http://frugalliving.about.com/

http://www.thethriftymama.com/category/grocery-stores/

http://athriftymom.com/

http://summertomato.com/10-tips-to-save-money-while-eating-healthy/
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Might check if you have a bountiful basket in your area, its where you pay $15 for a huge basketful full of fruits and vegis lasts our family of 6 almost all week...and its all year long and you get whats in season at the time.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Here are some frugal yet healthful foods:

dry beans
    brown rice
    whole grain pasta (can buy when on sale with coupons)
    eggs
    cereal (can clip coupons and buy on sale, ends up being $1.50-2 per box)
    frozen meats (chicken, turkey meatballs, turkey sausage)
    bananas
    large bags of apples
    mixed nuts can be cheap--look for huge containers, coupons, and sales
    and like the others are saying, frozen veggies
    buy fresh food when it's in season
  • steppinup
    steppinup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same kind of restraint for the next few months and most of what I eat is fresh which is often even harder to find deals but I agree with the last post. Find coupons and buy weekly or if possibly daily. For me, I know If I have $25 for the week, I buy veggies on sale like this week i bought a butternut squash, acorn squash, cabbage and 1 sweet potato. I added some things I had on hand (onion, celery, nutmeg, cinnamon, slat and pepper). This made a delicious THICK veggie soup/stew which made 8.5 servings. I coupled it with some salad greens on sale and some fresh fruit and I had VERY filling and delicious meal that will last into next week easily and I spent no more than $16. Throw in some turkey meatballs or beans and you increase your servings and portions.

Also, you can freeze it for individualized portions. Check out the Clean Eating Magazine web site. They have great ideas for healthy nutritious meals on a tight budget. Or just Google eating healthy on a tight budget and see what comes up. If you pick up 1 idea from each site you check out, you will be well on your way to having a slim waist and a fat wallet!

Good luck to you!
  • catintheshell
    Options
    bumping for good info!
  • FindingFit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great info!
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Plan your meals, write a grocerie list and STICK TO IT!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bumpy :o)