Tips for Jogging/Running

Options
Hello MFP!

I really want to get into running but I really have a hard time doing it. I don't understand because I'm great at doing areobics which is just as strenuous. But with running I have a hard time breathing. I will start for a few seconds, and then stop, start, and then stop and so on and so forth. Anyone have any practical tips? Anything would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Aerobics isn't as strenuous. I do aerobics as well as running, and at first I found it exhausting, and I am more achy after, but it isn't anything like running aerobically. I burn around twice as many calories an hour running as doing aerobics (700 vs 350).

Start slow with the running, really slow. You won't feel like you are moving much faster than a walk at first, but keep going. Your aerobic fitness will improve really fast as you run. I started a bit over a year ago and have now done 3 10ks and am doing a 9 mile race next weekend. You CAN do it!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Can you try it first on a treadmill? Run for a ¼ or ½…., set a goal. It’s easier on a tread & you are more apt to goal orient yourself. Add distance every other day. You can also adjust your speed on a tread…, starting out maybe at 4.5mph & increasing as you get use to it. Don’t forget to hydrate before too. I love to run, it frees my mind & I leave the world behind me. I also do P90X & that is nothing compared to running.
  • Ksnoddy87
    Ksnoddy87 Posts: 121
    Options
    Aerobics isn't as strenuous. I do aerobics as well as running, and at first I found it exhausting, and I am more achy after, but it isn't anything like running aerobically. I burn around twice as many calories an hour running as doing aerobics (700 vs 350).

Start slow with the running, really slow. You won't feel like you are moving much faster than a walk at first, but keep going. Your aerobic fitness will improve really fast as you run. I started a bit over a year ago and have now done 3 10ks and am doing a 9 mile race next weekend. You CAN do it!

Well I only say aerobics is just as strenuous because I do Turbo Jam which (to me) is more of a high intensity work out. But yeah running is more intense, I agree on that because if it wasn't I would be able to do it right? lol! But I will take that advice to the track and see if I can do at least a mile. Although I am loosing weight with Turbo Jam I really want to add more to my work out and running would be the best thing to do! Thanks so much for your advice! My goal is to one day run a 5k race none stop. Compared to the races you've done that seems like nothing! lol! Hopefully I will get to that point someday! :flowerforyou:
  • Ksnoddy87
    Ksnoddy87 Posts: 121
    Options
    Can you try it first on a treadmill? Run for a ¼ or ½…., set a goal. It’s easier on a tread & you are more apt to goal orient yourself. Add distance every other day. You can also adjust your speed on a tread…, starting out maybe at 4.5mph & increasing as you get use to it. Don’t forget to hydrate before too. I love to run, it frees my mind & I leave the world behind me. I also do P90X & that is nothing compared to running.

Ok I take it back! Aerobics does not compare to running! :laugh: lol!! O my, I couldn't hang with P90X! kudos to you! lol! Yea that's what I might have to do is at least start on a treadmill. Thanks so much for the advice! :smile:
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Start by walking for 5 minutes, jog 2-5 min, walk 5 min, jog 2-5 minutes. Gradually walk less and job more! Running rocks!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Google couch to 5k! It help you with your breathing. If you are already exercising you might be able to skip ahead.
  • dkhamees
    dkhamees Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Google couch to 5k! It help you with your breathing. If you are already exercising you might be able to skip ahead.

I very much second this! Excellent way to ease into running, with a built-in goal to meet! I will start my 4th week next week and I love it. I'm already registered for my first 5k about a week after I finish the C25K program.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Aerobics isn't as strenuous.

^^^this.^^^

Slow and steady. Try to keep running, as slow as you are going you are still not walking! GL.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising, it was all I could do to WALK the 1.7 mile loop around my neighborhood. I eventually started trying to jog a little. I'd see a mailbox/streetlight/sidewalk curb up ahead and tell myself I had to jog to that spot, then I could walk. Eventually, I started setting my sights further and further away. Within 3 months, I was running the entire 1.7 miles (which included two hills) without stopping to walk. Now, as long as I go slow (12 min mile), I feel like I can go and go and go and go! It's just a matter of getting your body used to that activity!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of my problems with running are mental. I do a lot of fast walking, cycling, spinning and DVDs (like P90X's Plyo workout) so I'm not completely unfit. But I find that after I've been running for 5 or 6 minutes I want to stop. Not usually because I'm too tired (unless I hit a hill!) but because there's a voice in my head that tells me to. It's not boredom - I don't know what it is - but it does stop me. I've found trying to set goals on my route beyond where I stopped on my previous run helps and now I can run for 25 minutes or so before walking. But even now I get that little voice saying, "come on! Stop! You know you want to" as I pound along It's strange, as I don't get it with any other kind of exercise. And I do like running, too, so it's not as if I'm forcing myself to do something I'm not mentally suited to.

Weird.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm going to third Couch to 5K (which is often shortened on here as C25K). I am starting week 8 (of 9) tomorrow. I still have trouble with the long runs but can comfortably run 10-15 minutes without having breathing issues. Breathing during running used to be my enemy, but I've really got it down! Also, I picked up at the end of week 2 because I was joining my sister, who'd already started, and I was dying during the 90-second runs. It was pure torture. I was scared before the 5-minute runs, but now that sounds easy. (To be fair, we do it 6 days/week vs. 3 days/week, which is the plan.)

You just have to start slowly, push yourself a little past what makes you comfortable, and you'll see improvement.

It if's any motivation, I have seen major positive changes to my body since I started. I might weigh 185 now, but I look better at 185 than I have ever looked at 185 before. I am wearing size 12 jeans, whereas previously I would be wearing 14s at this weight :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising, it was all I could do to WALK the 1.7 mile loop around my neighborhood. I eventually started trying to jog a little. I'd see a mailbox/streetlight/sidewalk curb up ahead and tell myself I had to jog to that spot, then I could walk. Eventually, I started setting my sights further and further away. Within 3 months, I was running the entire 1.7 miles (which included two hills) without stopping to walk. Now, as long as I go slow (12 min mile), I feel like I can go and go and go and go! It's just a matter of getting your body used to that activity!

THIS.

I also run slowly. I do about a 12-minute mile. I don't time it, though, nor do I really care if I'm "beating the clock." All that matters to me is that I'm jogging. Faster running will come in time, and I don't care that much about distance. I am focused on running consistently, without stopping, for a certain amount of time (starting tomorrow, 28 minutes). Trying to focus on more than one thing might not work.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When a friend of mine started running she would run to a light post, then walk to the next, then run to the next, etc, etc, etc. Then she would run two light post, walk one, etc. until she was able to run without stopping.

As far as breathing, make sure you keep your head up, if your even slightly leaning forward or have your head down a bit, it can restrict your breathing.

I started running in high school and best advice that was given to me was "once you realize its only going to hurt so much and you realize you can handle it, then you know you can work through the pain and keep going".

Another tip, try to find a running buddy. Having someone to run/exercise with keep you motivate & keep you going. Plus talking while exercising helps me to keep my mind off how longs its been and we're done before I know it.
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some previous posters about looking up Couch to 5K (aka C25K)
    I have never been a runner or good at running - I'm always the stop after 30 second sprint because I'm winded and have side stitches kinda gal.... but this program has been amazing. Starts you off small getting used to it and builds you up gradually over 9 weeks.

Started out where I was winded at 60 seconds of running and now I've just completed week 4 where I am running for 3 and 5 minutes consecutively anywhere between 5-6mph (my best pace was under 10 min/mi according to adidas micoach).

Try it out! Great beginner program.