How to go low carb but not into ketosis??

Options
Is there a magic number to do a lowish carb diet (due to carb sensitivity) but that will not put you into ketosis? I know there is mixed research on the safety and effectiveness of keto diets and wondered if there is a level of carb intake below which you run the risk of ketosis - or is it different for each person.

I am trying to eat 40% protein for a variety of health reasons and trying to increase my fat intake (mental block!) but don't want to go too low with carbs.

Replies

• hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware it differs for everyone and ketosis is obviuosly not ahealthy place to be. Balanced diet and everything within moderation is the way forward. x
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    100g of carbohydrates is the "accepted" value, but it can differ person-to-person since everyone's body chemistry is different. They sell Ketostix online and at drug stores. Getting some and experimenting with it would probably be wise if you are thinking about going low carb.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    100g of carbohydrates is the "accepted" value, but it can differ person-to-person since everyone's body chemistry is different. They sell Ketostix online and at drug stores. Getting some and experimenting with it would probably be wise if you are thinking about going low carb.

That high??? That is what I am set on here as 40% carbs - I thought keto diets were mostly fat ie about 3x as much fat as combined carb and protein. If I am on a 40 40 20 diet with my calorie goal (adjusted to factor in medication I am on) will put me at 100g carbs.
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    Like it has been said before, everyone is different, however I have found by my own experience and others around me it takes a very restricted carb count to actually get into and stay in ketosis. My number is around 20g a day, any more than that and I am not going to get there. Also agree with getting the Ketostix at the drug store. They usually sell them behind the counter so you need to ask for them.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    50-100g
  • coppercurlz
    Options

That high??? That is what I am set on here as 40% carbs - I thought keto diets were mostly fat ie about 3x as much fat as combined carb and protein. If I am on a 40 40 20 diet with my calorie goal (adjusted to factor in medication I am on) will put me at 100g carbs.

get the ketosis stix at the store, when they don't turn a shade at all, you are NOT in ketosis. Any color turning = ketosis. The level of darkness of the strip doesn't matter. That just shows how hydrated/dehydrated you are. The dark the color, the more water you need. But if you pee on it and it doesn't turn any color, you aren't in ketosis.

The level differs wildly from one person to another. A friend of mine stayed in ketosis until about 70 gr, me, as soon as I get over 40 I get out of ketosis. Low carb does not equal high fat diet...at all. While fats aren't bad, it doesn't mean you can consume them without caution. I try to keep my carbs under 80 and I find that I eat cleaner (more veggies and fruit and less processed food). I think the fattiest thing I eat in any given day is a Tablespoon or so of mayo... Don't go wild on the fat, but remember fat doesn't make you fat, you need it for healthy body/brain functions.

Hit your protein macros, hit your calorie macros, hit your fat macros, and hit your fiber macros...they are very important to feeling satiated :) Your less likely to "fall of the wagon" if you are feeling satisfied after EVERY meal.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware it differs for everyone and ketosis is obviuosly not ahealthy place to be. Balanced diet and everything within moderation is the way forward. x
    There is nothing wrong with being in ketosis, it is not an unhealthy state for your body to be in. Maybe you are thinking of ketoacidosis, which is a completely different situation?