Nutrition advice

Options
Help! Can anyone give me nutrition advice? For the next several months I'll be working 60+ hours a week. Basically I'm home an hour before I go to my second job. (don't feel sorry for me, I have two fun jobs. :)) I've been having cereal for dinner & thought I should probably eat healthier, better. For my evening break I usually have a greek yogurt, maybe a banana. I'm wondering if a protein shake would be a better choice for dinner than cereal? What has been your experience? Will it keep me satisfied? I need something to keep me strong & healthy. I've never made protein shakes before but have read a few posts about them. My p.m. job is physical & fast paced, if that makes a difference.

Replies

• luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes and smoothies. Very filling and healthy. I have one every morning. Here is my favorite:

Keifer, nonfat
    1/2 cup berries
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    1 packet splenda or crystal light
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats. Chicken/Brown Rice/Veggies, Salad with some protein. Apple and some peanut butter. Homemade veggie/barley soup.

Cereal for dinner is bad. Too much carbs, probably too much sugar, not enough protein or fiber.
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow, two great suggestions! Thank you! Soup is something I can make on the weekend in prep for the busy week ahead. Why didn't I think of that?! And I will look into protein powder to make a smoothie, thank you so much for a recipe. Now I'm getting excited to try something new. :)
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't eat carbs as the last meal of your day- eat a protein and vegetable instead. Often for dinner I'll use one egg to make an egg salad and I'll put celery, spinach and sprouts in it. I don't know how you feel about certain foods, but I also will sometimes have a nice bowl of peas...complex carbs plus protein!

Another very important tip...make sure you bring enough food with you for your jobs. If you get too hungry, you'll (out of desperation) raid the candy machine or gobble up the donuts that a co-worker brought. Make sure you always have enough food with you, and keep a couple extra snacks in your car (maybe some cashews in the glove compartment?)
  • HappyByChoice
    Options
    I love Fage Greek yogurt (0% is 100 calories for 6 oz). I put a couple packets of splenda in it and a little sugar free strawberry jelly. It's yummy. It is way less sugar than the other yogurt I used to eat and at 18 grams of protein it keeps me very satisfied at work. I also like raw veggies (carrots, sugar snap peas or cauliflower); again great filling without a lot of extra calories.