male motivators

Options
I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this without coming off wrong. I'm sort of new (again) to MFP and enjoy the message boards for the occasional motivation from others success stories, tips, etc. I've found I am more of a "male-type thinker" than a "female-type thinker" when it comes to motivating myself. No offense to the women out there but I prefer Men's Health (facts, figures, push-through-it motivation) over "Shape" (beauty tips, fashion, shopping and how many hersey kisses you can cram into 100 calories.) And yes, I do read Men's Health more than any other fitness magazine.. thanks to the men in my office. LOL -- At any rate.. I'm looking for a few MFP male friends for that sort of motivation. If you're interested... send me a message or friend request. I also have a mean competitive streak so bring on the challenges. :)

Replies

• PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    "LIKE"
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Hello, Please feel free to add me.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "LIKE"

Me too! Someone message a moderator to create a "Like" icon/button. Lol
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Haha I prefer the men's health too
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Old school Tough Love motivator here. I don't really accept excuses nor do I fall for the pity party. Woe is me, is an excuse IMO and you choose to decide to change it or grovel in it. If you're serious about exercise, check out my threads.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310543-the-no-bs-exercise-instruction-thread?hl=the+no+bs+exercise

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/331789--tlfc-exercise-and-accountability-support?hl=TLFC
  • falconer60
    Options
    Hi,
    Here is a success story that I hope everyone will read I am 60 yrs old and started in a weight loss chalenge at work with 16 other people who are a lot younger than me. We started on June 24, 2011 with our initial weigh in, I weighed 220 Lbs. and was only 5'7" tall and wasn't having a lot of success until I found the My Fitness Pal app for my IPhone and the rest is history as of last Friday I weighed 189.

I walk between 5 and 8 miles a night when the weather permits and go to the gym at the hospital where my wife works when time permits. When I am in the gym I do at least 60 mins. of cardio. when I walk I go to our local cemetaryand do as many laps as I can in about 2 Hrs.. When I started walking I was walking about 3.4 MPH currently I am at 4.5 MPH.

Believe me it can be done with a little will power of which I have very little. I know we all live very busy lives however how would we like to live our lives for a lot longer than we would have otherwise. If your here on this site you have already made the first very important step "Getting Started" believe me that's the hard part. When you get going you just get caught up in it and you can't help yourself. I am constantly changing my recipes to cut even more calories, it's addictive and I feel great. I don't have that sluggish sleepy feeling at 1:00 in the afternoon when I would just run out of energy at work.

I started eating 1600 calories a day and some days I go over but most days I float around 1200 to 1400 calories. I allow myself one sinful pleasure a week just to help keep that demon "boredom eating" in check. some weeks I don't even need to partake in the sinful pleasure, but if you feel that urge and you can't keep it in check by a glass of water or a few min. of exercise then go ahead and satisfy it but keep in mind you have to work it off once you put it on. I have found once I start thinking that I have to work harder to take it off than it did to put it on, that usually brings me to my senses LOL
    Good luck everyone and keep working towards a better and healthier life you won't be disappointed.
  • much2gain
    Options
    great success story falconer! Keep it up!!