estimating serving size

Options
omid990
omid990 Posts: 785 Member
i'm in a dorm with no access to measuring utensils. how can i eyeball a cup of something?

(Specifically speaking, kashi honey sunshine cereal, which is fantastic. i highly recommend it).

thanks for your help
:heart: aisha

Replies

• omid990
    Options
    i'm in a dorm with no access to measuring utensils. how can i eyeball a cup of something?

(Specifically speaking, kashi honey sunshine cereal, which is fantastic. i highly recommend it).

thanks for your help
    :heart: aisha
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This is a very rough estimate, but when I have a cup of Fiber One bran cereal, it typically fills about 1/3 of my standard sized bowl. Once I add the milk the bowl is a bit more than half way full. I would definitely invest in some measuring cups and spoons though as soon as you can (try the dollar store...they have them)
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh and for the milk or other liquid measurements, I've found that 8 ounces (1 cup) is pretty close to filling one of those small old fashioned jelly jars. It's probably got a 2 inch diameter and is about 4 inches tall if that helps.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    one cup of cereal is about the size of an average persons fist if that helps?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    couldn't you just buy a measuring cup? You can get them at the dollar store...
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    couldn't you just buy a measuring cup? You can get them at the dollar store...

I was thinking the same thing.....

I have a set of good ones ( stainless) and bought cheapo's at Walmart ($1) --measuring spoons, the same thing....$1 is worth it (instead of guessing)
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Buy a cheap set of measuring cups and spoons at the dollar store - they're only a buck.
    We tend to underestimate our portions, so it's important to measure.
    I practice. I pour something into a bowl or cut off a piece of bread, guess how much it is, then measure to check. That way I get better at eyeballing when I'm without measuring utensils.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Perhaps since they are in the dorm, they are eating in the cafeteria? Can't always carry your measuring utensils everywhere...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    She may be concerned with what she is eating tonight, knowing she needs to get measuring cups later.

PS, while living in dorms, I would have been hard pressed to go buy measuring cups! FLAT BROKE!! haha

But can't you borrow someone's down the hall?

But yes, like someone mentioned above, a cup is about the size of a small fist.
  • omid990
    Options
    i have my mom's measuring utensils in the dorm (she doesn't need it, right?) i was asking because i eat 2-3 meals in a dining hall and i'd feel ridiculous whipping out a measuring cup while in line for the salad bar. :laugh:

thank you for the estimates. much appreciated.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    I found this on WebMD... I hope it helps! I also was trying to refind a chart I discovered several months ago that it similar... I like it so I printed it and posted it on my fridge!

A good guideline to help you understand portion sizes is to translate the abstract information represented by the serving size into something visual that's easily remembered. So instead of trying to memorize lists of ounces, cups, and tablespoons, simply compare the serving sizes of particular foods to familiar physical objects. For example, a single serving of:

Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
    Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
    Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
    Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
    Apple is the size of a baseball.
    Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
    Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
    Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
    Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
    Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options