Beginner runner with Ashtma

Options
Hi

As part of my exercise I would love to start running. However, I have quite bad Asthma and not sure where and how to start. So any help or advice would be appreciated.

Also please add me, the more MFP friends, the better

Kelly

Replies

• suechristian65
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your doctor can advise you on this but I find that asthmatics I know have tossed their puffers after learning to run/jog at a steady pace reguarly.
    Good luck in this endeavour.
    X
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi iKel, i'm doning the NHS version of the C25K i'm sure that would ease you into running slowly enough, you can find the podcasts on itunes or here is the like to the website.
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Enjoy running i do

BTW for to say i am an Asthmatic also but haven't used my pumps in about six months
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Agree w Sue- I have suffered from asthma in the past. Probably not nearly as severe as yours, but try starting out at a pace that seems really really slow. You can adjust depending on how you're feeling. The biggest mistake that new runners make, in general, is going out too fast and too hard. No one is timing you and it's not a race. You will speed up over time. Just enjoy the activity :) Best of luck to you!!
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your doctor can advise you on this but I find that asthmatics I know have tossed their puffers after learning to run/jog at a steady pace reguarly.
    Good luck in this endeavour.
    X

Agree

I just finished c25k.

My puffers are in a drawer somewhere now... and I used to carry them around all the time.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Are you diagnosed positively with asthma? I only ask because for years my daughter thought she had exercise induced asthma because whenever she jogged or danced, she couldn't breathe and inhalers did not work. Turns out, it wasn't asthma at all, it was GERD. Running caused the acid to bounce up to the esophagus and make the trachea spasm. Antacids got rid of the problem. So just on the outside chance this info could help you, I have offered it. Otherwise, I'd say, ask our pulmonary doctor to advise you on how to adjust your meds so you can run effectively and maybe do it indoors during high allergy season.
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    Hi iKel, i'm doning the NHS version of the C25K i'm sure that would ease you into running slowly enough, you can find the podcasts on itunes or here is the like to the website.
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Enjoy running i do

BTW for to say i am an Asthmatic also but haven't used my pumps in about six months

Absolutely!! C25K is a great program and eases you in to it slowly. If you are concerned, lengthen the time over which you complete each level.. eg. each level is three sessions in one week, instead you can do 6 over two weeks at the one level. Adjust the pace and progression to suit yourself, and don't push too hard your first few times out.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, I run almost every day and/or take classes at the gym, kickboxing, spinning, etc....I am also an asthmatic, I take an inhaled steroid (advair) every day.

You can be a runner with asthma....just get clearance from dr., take your meds according to drs. orders, get a really good pair of running shoes, and start. I have heard the C25k program is excellent for beginners. It will be hard on you at first, so just take it to your own speed. Stick with it, you will soon be breathing easier and easier and running longer.

I have stopped needing to double dose my meds prior to a run with a rescue inhalor, but I will never be off of the advair....We will see a huge difference in lung function with running and/exercies, but depending on what type of asthmatic you are you might still need your meds.

Just don't use your asthma as an excuse to not exercise, it isn't going to hinder you...asthma is like having blue eyes or brown hair, it is a part of you that you need to learn how to make it work for you.

good luck...feel free to add me...I understand the trials and tribulations of it all, like weather changes!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I've had asthma for 28 years, take steroid inhalers every night and morning, I have another inhaler that goes everywhere with me in case an attack should come on. I still need my meds every day, but I can run 14 miles without stopping at a good pace, I cycle hills for 5 hours and not need a hospital visit afterwards.
    There are many top athletes out there that are asthmatic and the best thing you can do is exercise. Take it steadily to start, baby steps as they say, walk a bit, jog a little bit, walk a bit and so on. Don't think change will happen overnight but one day you'll be surprised at how far and how fast you can go. Talk to your Dr, mine encourages me all the way, I know the state I'd be in now if I hadn't started running and best of luck, we'll all be here to support you. x:smile:
  • KelCanDoThis
    KelCanDoThis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I know some of you are "Across the pond" so probably have a bit more support from your doctors. Unfortunatley the NHS over here normally consists of crap doctors who just have no care at all! We are rushed in and out and they are so happy to just throw pills at us!

Anyway. I have looked in C25, the nhs version and also have the Couch5 app! I have most of my stuff needed to get running, so im going to start very slowly this week!

Again thanks for all your advice

Kelly
  • 2Live4Life
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

Definitely get advice from your doctor first as most have suggested- everyone's asthma and environment (outside and inside) are different. I too have chronic asthma and allergies- amazingly I do better "off" meds, inhalers, steroids, and injections but I don't advise that for everyone- that is just me! As for running, I would suggest starting out slow with regulated breathing, if you feel your chest tightening--- listen to your body, slow down or stop. Definitely bring your inhaler with you the first few times... in fact I suggest bringing a running partner with you "just in case"... As your lungs get used to the running effects, they should begin to adjust/calm down (hopefully). I think running indoors initially is your safest bet, and then gradually moving outdoors. Humidity affects my oxygen intake/cycling as does different plants/trees/etc outdoors. For me because of allergies to wasps/bees/etc I also have to carry an epi-pen with me everywhere, if this is the case for you- bring your epi and inhaler on your initial runs.

As someone else mentioned, doctors are quick to diagnose "exercise induced asthma"... they did that to my daughter as well when she was having difficulty running during soccer. In going to a pulmonologist over a general practitioner, come to find out her vocal chords were having spasms- it was not asthma because the inhaler did not improve lung functioning. She had to learn breathing exercises from a speech pathologist to overcome this. But being an asthmatic my entire life- I knew hers was not asthma. Thank God!

Although I am no longer a runner (back surgery/probs), I still spend a lot of time outdoors being active and have learned to control my asthma rather than let my asthma control me. Anyhow- get the advice of your doctor, and most importantly listen to your body- you know it best! GOOD LUCK with everything!!!