Lunch ideas/food to bring to work

Options
I know I am not the only one out there with this problem but I struggle the most with finding healthy lunches to bring to work. 3 days a week I work from 10am until 8pm with no more than a 30 minute break for lunch, usually around 2pm. My job is not a desk job and I am with patients back to back every second of the day that is not my 30 minute lunch break so I dont have time to snack throughout the day unfortunately. I need healthy good lunch ideas that are filling and quick. I would usually eat breakfast around 9 am, then go to work and not be able to eat again until 2 so by that time I am starving since I had absolutely no time for a break between patients to snack. Then after 2:30 I don't get to eat again until 8pm when I get in my car and by that time I am soooo hungry that I go and splurge on unhealthy food.

Obviously the solution would be to snack throughout the day but on these 3 days/week that is just not an option. So what are your best extremely filling lunch ideas? They need to be something quick and easy that I can either buy when I shop and throw in my lunch bag or something I can prepare on the weekend to have throughout the week. As a side note, I do not like lunchmeat which makes it really hard to pack lunches because I can't just make a sandwich and go. Thanks sooo much!

Replies

• mandagurlee
    mandagurlee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use a whole can of tuna on toasted bread with iceburg lettuce. The high protein in the tuna will give you a good fuller filling. And throw some fat free low sugar yogurt in there like kroger brand "carbmaster" yogurt.. its really goid and good for you. Try using a wheat bread with flax seed to feel fuller too. :flowerforyou:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I bake sweet potatoes and grill chicken breast on the weekend and then take those for my lunch during the week. I find it filling and nutritious. 2 to 3 minutes in the microwave warms it up.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Salad's with a roll on the side

protein shake with a banana

Peanut butter, nutella, on multi-grain bread...any kind of nuts, with sides of fruit, veggies

You can pre-cook the chicken breast and pre-cut them....for a salad, or dice em up for chicken salad sandwiches

Pasta salad made the night before

you can make wraps with meat you cooked the night before..such as chicken or turkey, loaded with veggies..

Cut up fruit and yogurt with granola

Cottage cheese, fruit and veggies with a side dip

TONS of ideas on allrecipes.com also...
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know I am not the only one out there with this problem but I struggle the most with finding healthy lunches to bring to work. 3 days a week I work from 10am until 8pm with no more than a 30 minute break for lunch, usually around 2pm. My job is not a desk job and I am with patients back to back every second of the day that is not my 30 minute lunch break so I dont have time to snack throughout the day unfortunately. I need healthy good lunch ideas that are filling and quick. I would usually eat breakfast around 9 am, then go to work and not be able to eat again until 2 so by that time I am starving since I had absolutely no time for a break between patients to snack. Then after 2:30 I don't get to eat again until 8pm when I get in my car and by that time I am soooo hungry that I go and splurge on unhealthy food.

Obviously the solution would be to snack throughout the day but on these 3 days/week that is just not an option. So what are your best extremely filling lunch ideas? They need to be something quick and easy that I can either buy when I shop and throw in my lunch bag or something I can prepare on the weekend to have throughout the week. As a side note, I do not like lunchmeat which makes it really hard to pack lunches because I can't just make a sandwich and go. Thanks sooo much!

I don't have your time constraints but I hate a lot of prep time so maybe some of what I take will work. I usually pack my lunch with two snacks and a lunch in mind...if you don't have a break you could combine it all: 2 hard boiled eggs and mini low-sodium can of v-8 juice, pre-cut fruit and veggies in baggies, single serving greek yogurt, single serving protein shake. Sometimes I take a cup of soup, but you'd need to be able to heat that up.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually make something on Sunday evening that I can portion out and eat all week for lunch. Since it's been getting colder, I've been making lots of soups, stews and chilis lately. (this week homemade chicken noodle, last week beef-barley stew and the week before black bean chili)

When it's warmer, lots of salads are in my rotation. One of my favorites is balsamic marinated sirloin steak slices over a bed of romaine lettuce with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and kalamata olives. I also like pasta salads with lots of marinated veggies and chicken breast and shaved parmesan.

I also pack snacks like apple slices, a wedge of sharp cheddar cheese or yogurt.

I don't like lunch meat either. :-)
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always have the 90 calorie fiber one bars and/or some string cheese as a quick snack if you can't eat.

I also have Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers for lunch. The preservatives are relatively low, the calories are between 200 and 350 for a good meal, and they're ready to eat in 3 to 5 minutes. These plus a yogurt always fills me up.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. First of all lets start with breakfast....make sure you have lots of protien....I hardboil eggs by the dozen to have ready for breakfast or lunch. A hakf serving of kashi go lean cereal and an egg is a good hi protien start. Lunch, i would invest in low-carb flat breads...tuna, roast chicken or turkey can be shoved in there. Greek yogurt is verybsatisfying, as is hummus....i would also pack a treat for the ride home....a half of a peanut butter sandwich, some carrots or some dry ceral to get you over the hump. Even a cheese stick. Sometimes, i put this in a wrap.....chopped apples, chopped carrots, mixed with sunflower seed butter, and some craisins.....it is bulky and the protien. I have been bringing carrots and an egg to eat on my way home, we eat late at night! Good luck!
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    I like Sara Lee Deli Oven Roasted Turkey on a bagel thin, with sunchips, or you can substitute with something like yogurt, fresh fruits, or veggies.
  • oldcrazy
    Options
    If you've access to a microwave, I tend bring leftovers in to work - ie risottos or stews.

For more fresh ideas I tend to make a couple of wraps filled with salad, or roasted veg, or hummous with grated carrots and cucumber. Or a pitta with salad and falafel.

The more protein the better as it fills you for longer, unfortunately I'm veggie so protein is difficult.

I hope it helps :)
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Pack a salad in a bowl with some type of lean meat in another bowl so it doesn't get soggy and combine.
    Apples are surprisingly filling and if it is precut it is much easier to eat.
    Lean meat on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomatoes (I put my veggies in a seperate bag and top the sandwich when it is time to eat so it doesn't get soggy)
    You can get cottage cheese fruit cups or yogurt with granola already attached to the container.
    Celery with peanut butter and some sliced cheese with whole grain crackers.... just to name a few. :)
    Oh, Campbells soup at hand is also quick and filling.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are a Godsend. I am completely unpicky when it comes to leftovers. If there aren't any, I also like a smorgasbord type lunch . . . example: some Greek yogurt, a cup of fresh berries or an apple, some carrots and hummus, and a handful of almonds.

Or you could prepare something ahead of time, as others have suggested here. Pasta salad is easy and keeps well. Try whole grain pasta, roasted red peppers, spinach, olive oil, and some feta or gorgonzola cheese with chicken or shrimp or sausage.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a freezer and microwave, Healthy Choice frozen dinners are a godsend when you don't have much time. Even faster would be a big box of lean pockets. But yeah, ideally leftovers are good. I'm trying to cut down on processed stuff but it's better than giving in and eating cafeteria food generally.

Or, soup. Lots and lots of soup. Campbell's select harvest and Progresso lights are good ones that aren't crazy high in sodium.
  • swpdana24
    Options
    Thanks sooo much for all the responses. I just bought some healthy choice steamers and salad kits. I am going to hard boil some eggs tonight and grill up 1 or 2 chicken breasts so I have some meat throughout the week. The good thing is I only have to worry about this 3 days a week. I also like the idea of making a pb sandwich to have on my ride home from work! Thanks again everyone! And if you have any more ideas then keep 'em coming!!!
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

My husband and I eat Emerald Almonds, they come in a little packet and I think that is one of the easiest snacks to eat. You can take a "bathroom" break and eat them really quick. They have several different style roast, natural roast, and even dark chocolate cocoa roast. Just a suggestion for an easy and quick snack that is very healthy! =)
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas...TFS...I tend to get stuck in a rut, taking the same thing everyday, which gets boring...thanks for some new ideas.