Wow, my "good" lunch at Red Robin was 900

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
calories! HALF a burger and a side salad.

Replies

• V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Flipping heck...
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think it's their buns. I get the Ensanada platter (two chicken breasts and a salad) and it's around 500 calories even with dressing. That sucks, though! Which burger did you get?
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! They have a really good (and somewhat low calorie) chicken sandwich there for next time you go. I usually take the top bun off to help out with the sodium. Glad you only ate half!!!!
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I had lunch at Red Robin last weekend and got one of their salads, only to realize when I looked it up later that day that it was over 1000 calories! I usually try to look up the restaurant's nutrition info before I go somewhere, but I didn't have a chance. I don't think there is much on their menu that is lower in calories.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    pretty sad how quickly eating out can add up. on the bright side, at least you avoided the 2,000 calorie meal :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It's kinda crazy.

A big mac from mcdonalds weighs in at about 500 calories, seems like a lot eh?

A plain mushroom hamburger pattie (just mushrooms i presume are ground into the meat and no bun..no condiments)..from walmart, 400 calories. Imagine how dirty it'd get if you added a bun and toppings?

Dirty.
  • dinnae
    dinnae Posts: 28
    Options
    Yeah, I had dinner there the other night, the Mesa Chicken Salad... 1000 calories!!!

But, the way I look at it, there was LOTS of fibre in it (lettuce, veg, beans), dairy (cheese), and grilled chicken. And, even WITH that "binge"... I still lost .8kg (almost 2 lbs) since my last weigh in, and I attribute that to all the water that I've been drinking, AND the fact that the salad was very low in simple carbs. :) (oh, except the dressing, I'm SURE O_o)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's kinda crazy.

A big mac from mcdonalds weighs in at about 500 calories, seems like a lot eh?

A plain mushroom hamburger pattie (just mushrooms i presume are ground into the meat and no bun..no condiments)..from walmart, 400 calories. Imagine how dirty it'd get if you added a bun and toppings?

Dirty.

That is insane!

I was shocked at what I thought was "healthy" food before I started reading the labels. Some of the items on Panera's menu that look to be good are far worse than a Big Mac.
  • daylewinslow
    Options
    OMG - we were going to share a grilled oriental chicken salad at applebees until we "app'd" that it was 680 for each half - OMG - without the dressing - so we got the half salad and shared that - for about 340 each - you can never "let your guard down," right?
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Probably because restaurants make portions three times more than necessary. If a restaurant tried to sell a meal that was accurately portioned so that you were not eating so many calories, that restaurant would go out of business. You'd have a big plate with barely any food on it. I know, I use to manage front of house shifts at one.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of sit-down restaurant burgers are death traps. Better to just get a petite sirloin steak... If you really want a burger, most fast food places have better options! :noway:
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    +1 for in n out burger :)
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    w/out the ranch it would have been 615
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is crazy!!! One of the reasons I try to go to restaurants that have their nutritional statements online....and I look over them before I go. Guess I won't be going to Red Robin anytime soon!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    w/out the ranch it would have been 615

Yeah, I should have gotten the balsamic. It was yummy ranch though.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Calorically speaking, Red Robin is a scary place but every once in while I still go there. My only saving grace is while I love the burgers I absolutely despise steak fries:)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Red Robin is one of my favorite spots....they are everywhere. They have a printed version of their menu with nutritional information at every restaurant. Ask to see it before you order. Saved me more than once.

If I want a burger, I get it without the bun, or I get a Boca patty as a sub.

The main reason I go there is because I love their fries. They had to go and invent the sweet potato fries. :ohwell:
    SMH.

The Ensenada platter (the one breast one) is a great choice, and they will serve you a half order of any of their monster salads, too. I like a half Chicken Ceasar.

Ask for a box at restaurants as soon as your food appears and box up half of it before you start.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Red Robin is my hubby and son's favorite restaurant. Its really hard to eat there though because everything is such high calories. There a lot of places we eat that I have found a way to eat there with a healthier option but I still struggle at Red Robin. So instead of trying that is someplace we rarely go anymore and when I do I have what I want and work it in somehow.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Reeeed Robin Yummmmm!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Yeah, I love their burgers just the way they are, which is why I make my husband split one with me and today gave him all the fries. I guess the ranch was the only really surprising part.... Or that they are 1000 per burger. 700-800 was more what I imagined. I know, I should have looked before we left but it was a last minute switch and I forgot my phone.