HCG diet...

Options
Has anyone tried the HCG diet? I started it yesterday and tomorrow is the beginning of the low calorie part. I wanted to know if anyone has gotten seriously sick while doing this diet. Thanks.

EDIT!!!! Please no bashing or being insulting. That is not why I posted this. I'm only asking the people who HAVE tried it to comment. Thank you.

Replies

• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Who doesnt get seriously sick from doing this diet?

I've not known one person who has kept the weight off after stopping the diet.
    Not ONE.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    500 calories.....that will make anyone sick! :sick: I have heard of ppl getting very ill from it and have heard ppl that didnt! If you have ANY type of medical conditions, I wouldnt do it!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The amazing thing about this "die"t you're on is that it will "work" even without you taking the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). Why will it "work"? Because you're eating an insanely low amount of calories per day. It's truly an amazing scam..I mean "die"t. Good luck.

P.S. "work" is in quotation marks because it won't work. Cheers. "die" is in quotation marks because that is what you would do if you made this "die"t your lifestyle. If it can't sustain you for life why do it at all?

cheating-20110415-1704251.png
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you FEEL sick, you will be making your body sick by not giving it enough energy and nutrients. HCG is a starvation diet and it's not a healthy way to lose weight. I've lost 62 pounds eating more than twice what that diet requires and I didn't have to pay for any expensive supplements made from urine.
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have done it. Lost 40 pounds......gained 40 pounds....I did use it as a jump start on this site for a couple of weeks. Then started counting calories.....I am doing good without the HCG.....Also my hair is not falling out as fast as it was.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this is an appalling diet choice. I wish you well, but this diet will make you sick, and the 'HCG' element has, for forty years, been proven over and over in medical research to be a total scam.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I would never do it but I saw the show Dr. Oz did on it. Yes, people have become very sick on it.
  • naturallyflyy
    naturallyflyy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i must agree with that! everyone i know that has done it has gained back the weight plus some! very unhealthy diet!
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wont criticize I think if your going to use it as a jump start to get fast resultsand get motivated go on it , but when the month or so is over get serious about counting calories and exercising I know u dont exercise withHCG because of the low calorie intake.
    My sister did it los 28lbs
    and is gaining it all back because she went back to her old ways......
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day on this 'diet'... if I remember correctly, Auschwitz prisoners were fed 600 calories/day.

Stay away, its incredibly dangerous.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have done it. Lost 40 pounds......gained 40 pounds....I did use it as a jump start on this site for a couple of weeks. Then started counting calories.....I am doing good without the HCG.....Also my hair is not falling out as fast as it was.

You're lucky, you just lost and regained. I know someone who lost lots, then added it back on and half again, and they've messed up their pituitary gland in the process.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law, her parents, my mom, my sister have all done this diet. I've also seen numerous other people do this diet. It's true, sometimes, people after the diet don't keep the weight off. Most of the time its because they don't do anything AFTER and just expect the weight to stay off. My sister-in-law, her parents, and sister have all had great success. But, they are also very conscious about what they put in their bodies now and are very strict about their diet. My sister exercises 5+ times a week on top of that. And so far, hasn't had any problem with it.

But of course, everyone is different. If you personally start to experience any problems with it, call your doctor right away.

I have to disagree with it working regardless of the chemical being there or not though. Putting your body in starvation mode doesn't automatically cause you to lose a substantial amount of weight. In fact, your body sometimes holds onto it more so than previously. (I haven't done HCG, but I have tried eating very little as possible when I was younger and it certainly did me little benefit).
  • Jorra
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that part of this diet is not being able to exercise. If you aren't exercising and starving your body, what are you losing? Yup, muscle, not fat.
  • elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the hcg drops i bought says that light to moderate exercise is fine but not vigorous exercise. So i will continue to work out.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If it can't sustain you for life why do it at all?
    This is genius...all summed up neatly in one little sentence.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that part of this diet is not being able to exercise. If you aren't exercising and starving your body, what are you losing? Yup, muscle, not fat.

The whole point of the reason that people do this is because you -don't- lose the muscle. It puts your body in a type of "pregnancy mode" and activates your body so that it starts burning the fat -instead- of the muscle.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Mission hcg needs to be aborted stat!
  • ewiedemann360
    ewiedemann360 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Never did this diet...used five meals a day at 2000 calories with regular work outs - three days of strenght training, three of cardio. Disciplined dieting, and no binging. Using that method, I have lost 37 pounds in just over 3 months. The better part of doing weight loss this way is that keeping the same diet will allow you to maintain healthy weight after weight loss. Read a book called Younger Next Year (there is a men's and women's version), and they will discuss the vicissitudes of this type of diet. Best wishes on you journey!
  • Jorra
    Options

The whole point of the reason that people do this is because you -don't- lose the muscle. It puts your body in a type of "pregnancy mode" and activates your body so that it starts burning the fat -instead- of the muscle.

There's never been a scientific study that's been able to replicate this result. No study has ever found it more effective than just starving yourself on 500 calories a day either.