Shopping List

Options
I need some new ideas on things to get at the grocery store that are healthy, filling and preferably low calorie...this includes anything from snacks, to main dish type foods, oh and/or sides...So if anybody who responds could list a few things I'd appreciate it. :-)

Replies

• aprendoespañol
    Options
    I'd just say eat whatever you wanna eat but do workout atleast once in a day for minimum 1hour. It helps, my waist was 37inches and now it's 31inches and that too within a year.

Buena suerte.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    spinach is low calorie but filling. I also saute mushrooms and mix them up together.

sweet potatoes are also one of my favs. It's filling and yummy!

yogurt often does the trick. I get dannon light and fit. :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Fill your time with activity! Be at the gym, rearranging your room or shopping with a handbasket instead of a trolley! Also filling foods/beverages that are low kcal... hmmm cup of green tea, a bowl of salad no oil but a bit of balsamic vinegar and salt and crushed black pepper? Low GI toast (wholemeal) with a mashed banana on... will keep you full for ages..espesh with a beverage like green tea! Sweet enough that you need no butter or sugar or honey added! some oat bars are low ish calore too. Apples- about 66calories an apple... vegetables like carrots... very low, filling and great source of fibre/vitamins and minerals!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    My shopping list begins with LOTS of fruits and veggies (more than my fridge can fit - no kidding). I love low fat string cheese, and I also eat 2% cottage cheese and nonfat greek yogurt.

Old fashioned oats are a great breakfast (sometimes I add roasted sunflower seeds with no salt added). Also whole wheat, multigrain bread (including bagel/sandwich thins and english muffins).

For snacks, I like fat-free pretzels (I buy large bags and then pack snack sized portions - ~24 pretzels per ziploc bag) and I also make my onwn trail mix with pistacchios, almonds, raisins (or dried cherries) and dried apricots.

And lots of beans!! In case you were wondering, I'm a vegetarian ;)

Also Campbell's select harvest soups (the light ones) are pretty amazing. One can of those with some raw veggies make a meal for me.

Hope that helps! :)
  • owlcalls
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great spaghetti replacement if you are into that sort of thing.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with aprendoespanol at all. What kind of food are you eating now?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I shop the big outer isle of the store, includes:
    Dairy, meat, fruits and veggies, I only go down the isles for flour( to make my own bread) coffee, and rice and noodles, maybe tomato sauce, the rest is not important to me!! Oh and oatmeal!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    here are some ideas...
    breakfast

oatmeal (old fashioned if you have time or steel cut)
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    whole wheat frozen waffles (if you're in a hurry in the mornings)
    whole grain english muffins
    2% cheese slices
    berries
    whole grain cereal

(you can make parfaits, "mcmuffins," sandwiches, or have cereal with fruit)

lunch/dinner
    rotisserie chicken
    whole wheat tortillas
    black beans
    shredded lowfat cheese
    lettuce/tomato/avocado
    whole wheat bread
    peanut butter
    whole fruit preserves
    (pb/j sandwich, grilled cheese, wrap with veggies/chicken/cheese, chicken salad with black beans on top)

sides
    brown rice (cooked in veg broth or chicken broth)
    steamable veggies
    quinoa
    sweet potatoes (baked like fries or "baked" in the microwave)
    whole grain pasta with a bit of olive oil and parmesan cheese
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus or yogurt dressing, fruit and cottage cheese - I try to get at least two types of fruit and two or three types of vegetables

Eggs - good for protein and you can cook them different ways

Oatmeal - I like to add ground flax to it for extra fiber and protein

Maybe some things to make sandwiches and salads...

For dinner I'd go with a lean protein, veggies, and maybe a grain.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great spaghetti replacement if you are into that sort of thing.

DITTO!
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    Oh and FYI...I go to the gym 5 days a week...for anybody who thinks I just eat.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about low cal so much as making sure that the cals you do consume fill you up. My favorites: old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats) for breakfast; wrap with protein for lunch, and for supper at least 6 oz of chicken/beef/fish and 1 cup of pasta/brownrice/quinoa. The rest all fruit and veggies. With that base you are never hungry.
  • mslh84
    Options
    here are some ideas...
    breakfast

greek yogurt
    eggs
    2% cheese slices
    berries
    whole grain cereal

lunch/dinner
    rotisserie chicken
    whole wheat tortillas
    black beans
    shredded lowfat cheese
    lettuce/tomato/avocado
    whole wheat bread
    peanut butter
    whole fruit preserves
    (pb/j sandwich, grilled cheese, wrap with veggies/chicken/cheese, chicken salad with black beans on top)

sides
    steamable veggies
    quinoa

WOW...lots of ideas! Fantastic...are there eggs out there with less than 70 calories? Anybody know?
  • mslh84
    Options
    I would not worry about low cal so much as making sure that the cals you do consume fill you up. My favorites: old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats) for breakfast; wrap with protein for lunch, and for supper at least 6 oz of chicken/beef/fish and 1 cup of pasta/brownrice/quinoa. The rest all fruit and veggies. With that base you are never hungry.

Ok I've done some food research from Web MD, and it does mention quinoa...what exactly does this taste like?
  • RLW0930
    RLW0930 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a lot better with snack type foods, but always keep chicken in the freezer to make meals, grilled chicken salads, soups, etc. Some of my favorite snack type foods are:

Almonds
    Pistachios
    Yoplait Light Yogurt (for my sweet cravings, and only 100 calories)
    Light or reduced fat individual serving cheese snacks
    Baby Carrots
    Grapes (I wash them and seperate them into the snack size zip locs - great for grab-n-go)
    Apples
    Dried fruit (make sure there is no added suger)
    Turkey Jerky - low sodium if you can find it
    Tuna, Tuna, Tuna!! (high in protein and super easy to fix with light mayo)

There are a few ideas for now. If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies. If you buy what is in season and on sale and it is very affordable to eat this way. I also buy peanut butter, eggs, whole wheat bread, cheese and lean meat. For snacks, I either buy granola bars or trail mix. Just watch portion sizes.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My staples are Sara Lee 45 calorie Wheat breat or honey wheat, tuna fish, and Dill Pickles are more filling than you'd think! I also rely on my wheat thins to replace chips and Fiber One 90 calorie brownies for my sweet treat!
  • RLW0930
    RLW0930 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A lot like brown rice (IMO), but takes other flavors really well, for example, I usually chop up some tomato and green onion and sprinle on top, sometimes add a little squeeze of lime juice for a mexican type flare.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    here are some ideas...
    breakfast

greek yogurt
    eggs
    2% cheese slices
    berries
    whole grain cereal

lunch/dinner
    rotisserie chicken
    whole wheat tortillas
    black beans
    shredded lowfat cheese
    lettuce/tomato/avocado
    whole wheat bread
    peanut butter
    whole fruit preserves

sides
    steamable veggies
    quinoa

WOW...lots of ideas! Fantastic...are there eggs out there with less than 70 calories? Anybody know?

no, eggs are always 70 cals (for the most part) but they are one of the best sources of 70 cals you're going to get ;) don't worry 1-2 a day won't kill your calorie budget and it's worth it!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    here are some ideas...
    breakfast

greek yogurt
    eggs
    2% cheese slices
    berries
    whole grain cereal

lunch/dinner
    rotisserie chicken
    whole wheat tortillas
    black beans
    shredded lowfat cheese
    lettuce/tomato/avocado
    whole wheat bread
    peanut butter
    whole fruit preserves

sides
    steamable veggies
    quinoa

It's like I am reading my current grocery list. I think I want to marry you.