Anyone eat like this?

Does anyone else find they don't really eat meals or even home cooked things often? I realised yesterday that most days I eat all cans and tubs and packets. Mostly do this to be accurate about calories plus it is easier! Cooking for one isn't great, so much wastage.

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Left overs are great :)
  • Yea left overs are great :] not a fan of packaged/processed food for the most part
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    ok! so for your sweet tooth....and other teeth too

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

give this a read...lots of great from scratch recipes ideas ......... for ONE!!!!!

eat well :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    It's easier to count calories that way, but much worse on your body and overall health. Food that comes in cans, tubs, and packets tends to be highly processed and full of bad stuff.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Not here.. I love fresh fruits and veggies.. I use a food scale to be accurate about what I eat. . I use canned items and such as little as possible. . If I use them. . I get no salt added varieties~
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Actually I am the opposite of you. Before MFP, I was eating out of cans and other prepared meals. Since joining MFP, I actually have started cooking again and actually like it. I do have to freeze a lot of stuff or eat the same thing a couple of days a week but it is still good.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I hated cooking for a long time, but since my husband and I decided to get healthy, cooking together has become a nice relaxing and kinda romantic thing we do every evening. If you learn how to cook for just one or two, you can eliminate wasteful cooking. We waste almost nothing when we cook now, and we've gotten good enough to make a lot of more ornate meals that you'd spend a fortune on at a gourmet restaurant at home for 1/4 the price.
  • Since I joined MFP I have started coking and love it ! It's harder to count yes, but a lot healthier!
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    I used to eat microwave dinners frequently and it helped me lose weight. Yes it has more carbs and sodium in it but it does the trick.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    No I don't eat like this, I cook for a family. Everytime is prepared from fresh raw produce mainly, I aim for four serves of vegetables each and every day. I've actually deleted some American contacts because they ate nothing but pre packaged heavily processed foods and nothing fresh. I couldn't eat like that, how do you go to the toilet?
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    most of the time i am cooking for myself and i almost never use packaged stuff. either i make enough just for me, or yeah, have leftovers! love em for lunch
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Does anyone else find they don't really eat meals or even home cooked things often? I realised yesterday that most days I eat all cans and tubs and packets. Mostly do this to be accurate about calories plus it is easier! Cooking for one isn't great, so much wastage.

Yes, but I have just started using my slow cooker again.....Just chuck in the ingredients and wait a few hours and a beautiful meal......I divide it into containers and freeze......I use the recipe creator here and it gives you how many cals per serve....
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    There are really great creative ways to use leftovers. One of my current faves is to do turkey burgers for dinner. Now granted, I'm cooking for four but this can easily adapted to just one. Anyway, my kids won't eat burgers, so I make one for me, one for my wife, and the rest get cut up for salads at lunchtime. A half turkey burger with some shredded Swiss cheese, possibly sunflower seeds, and some diced tomato, cucumber, and avocado over a mix of baby Romaine and spinach...no dressing needed! Thus, one meal starting with a lb. of ground turkey becomes 3 - 5 meals easily. I know the whole cooking for one thing...but if you're willing to be creative you can really use leftovers as a means of breaking free from the packets and cans. Is it a challenge? To be sure it is, but it can be done and is worth the effort! :smile:
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    No, I cook all the time. I have an occasional organic bar or open a can of organic chicken to use in my recipe but for the most part I cook all the time and love it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

Yes, but I have just started using my slow cooker again.....Just chuck in the ingredients and wait a few hours and a beautiful meal......I divide it into containers and freeze......I use the recipe creator here and it gives you how many cals per serve....

Crock pots are amazing. This is a really good cookbook for slow cookers: http://www.amazon.com/Crockpot-Original-Slow-Cooker-Books/dp/1412729734/ref=pd_sim_b3

We got it as a wedding gift, and it's been wonderful.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    75% of my meals are all home cooked, unless I go to Fresh N Easy to buy a prepared meal like a sandwich or something small.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I cook everyday! I try not to eat too much prepackaged food. You can even freeze leftovers to reheat on busier days or for work lunches, etc. I usually eat salads for lunch...they're quick, easy and healthy if you don't load them up with junk.
  • The freezer can be your best friend! Just cook and whatever you have left over..freeze it and that is one day you don't have to worry about cooking :smile:
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    I'm the same way. I'm getting better about cooking something for dinner, but mostly eat pre-packaged things for lunch at work. I also am only cooking for one. I simply don't like leftovers- I don't know I've always been that way. Food just doesn't taste good once it's been re-heated, refrigerated, sitting out, etc. I don't want to waste my calories on eating something I don't want too, but I don't want to waste as you said. I search for either really small recipes or things I can just make one serving of by cutting down the recipe. Devin Alekksander has some great low-calorie recipes that only make 1 or 2 servings, and they're very easy if you're not much of a cook. I make a lot of stuff from her books regularly.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Thanks for the replies. I know how unhealthy this is and how many additives and chemicals I'm eating, I hate that.

I do cook, just not often enough because I find it more expensive and plans change and I end up going out for 3 days straight and the food goes to waste, etc. Most of what I cook is not great to freeze.

When I cook, I eat the same thing at least 4 times I have no problem eating left overs except the whole being out for meals thing.

Does anyone have any quick, healthy recipes for one they want to share??