Ways to keep a young child entertained on an airplane?

Options
myiceisonfire
myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
My husband & I are going to Jamaica with our 16mo old. We have a 3hr flight, 3hr lay over, and then another 2hr flight.

Our son is at the age where he just wants to run around. What are some ideas to keep our 16mo old entertained on the airplane?

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of toys (not noisy ones) on your carry-on. Make sure on take off and when landing that you try to make him yawn or drink to keep the pressure down in his ears.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm flying with my then will be 19mo old over xmas. I'm up for ideas too! I feel for you, I don't think I'd be brave enough for that!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Baby Benadryl! Lol jk. Toys, snacks so he doesn't get cranky, and if you let him watch movies, bring some DVDs and a laptop or portable DVD player.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    two adults and one baby = ridiculously easy.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Small toys, finger food are the best. If your baby is old enough to watch tv, we uploaded a couple of shows/movies onto our ipods when we flew to Hawaii. :)

Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a DVD player or laptop that he can use and bring his favorite DVDs and a set of headphones that go over the ears.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    With him being that young, I feel for you. Not much in the toy department (that doesn't make noise) to keep him busy. Take a laptop or I-pad and watch videos of his favorite cartoons or educational shows.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    toys toys snacks and almost all planes have computers on the back of the seats with kids movies and tv shows on them so that will keep hi preocupyed
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Portable DVD player with lots of batteries.

Leapster with headphones.

V-Reader with headphones.

Yes, I am a techno-geek. My son started riding airplanes when he was 9 months old and has gone on a good many since. I have been blessed to (almost) always have a seat next to us that he could sit in (before I was required to buy him his own seat). Actually, the first flight he took at 9 months, we ended up sitting next to a pediatrician who was on his way home from a pediactric convention!! It was AWESOME! He was super nice and my son just loved the heck out of him. Totally blessed by that man being a row mate. Thankfully, he rides in air planes really easily and understands that running about is not acceptable.

Forgot to add: He always had his own carry-on with all the necessities: Diapers, sippy cups, snacks, change of clothes, blanket, pillow, small coloring book and crayons, and wubby.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    DVDs on a laptop of DVD player for the plane. I have traveled alone with a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year, and I made it without killing anyone....although the snippy gate agent in Atlanta almost bought the farm.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    We always take our car seat and stroller to keep them contained in the airport and on the plane. I can't imagine trying to keep them still on the plane without it! Also, lots of books, maybe a leapfrog if you have one, and a portable DVD player if you have one or could borrow one. Also, all favorite snacks and drinks. Bring an empty sippy cup. You can't bring liquid through security, but you can buy juice on the other side to fill it. Sometimes the stewards are slow getting drinks out and its hard to wait. Favorite toys, blanket, etc. Whatever the baby needs to sleep. Our pediatrician recommended some benadryl also b/c both our kids have severe allergies and ear issues, so that helps cut down on the pressure in the ears (but check with your doctor on that). I was amazed last time we flew with our 2 year old, she slept the whole way in the plane (without the benadryl - haha!). It was just like being in the car for her b/c she had her blankie, her favorite toys and her own carseat. It was like a big adventure for her. :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Read to him. Try to schedule your flights to coincide with his sleep times so that he sleeps after the initial excitement. Wear him out before your board. Drawing. Age-appropriate games.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I second the dvd player idea! Also, I dunno about yours little one but mine is an eater! I always packed like 6 or 7 different types of snacks. Also, if you have a phone that can download apps, there are tons of free toddler apps you can download that may keep him busy for a little while. Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    toys toys snacks and almost all planes have computers on the back of the seats with kids movies and tv shows on them so that will keep hi preocupyed

I fly all the time, and only rarely do I ever see computers on the backs of the seats especially with non-international flights.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Make sure that he runs/moves around during the lay over. The exercise will keep his energy in check, and hopefully make him tired for the last leg of the trip.

If he still drinks from his bottle, have it ready at landing and takeoff to relief the pressure in his year, and if possible try to walk with him a little in the plane.

Have fun!!
  • pritichandran
    pritichandran Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    lots of stickers with a blank pieces of paper to keep those hands busy; a few picture books where there's lots to point at and play "I Spy"; having them suck on a lollipop during take-off and landing may help with change in pressure; doodle app on iPad; your own blanket (a travel towel works great) and inflatable pillow (Eagle Creek) for comfy naps.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We always take our car seat and stroller to keep them contained in the airport and on the plane. I can't imagine trying to keep them still on the plane without it! Also, lots of books, maybe a leapfrog if you have one, and a portable DVD player if you have one or could borrow one. Also, all favorite snacks and drinks. Bring an empty sippy cup. You can't bring liquid through security, but you can buy juice on the other side to fill it. Sometimes the stewards are slow getting drinks out and its hard to wait. Favorite toys, blanket, etc. Whatever the baby needs to sleep. Our pediatrician recommended some benadryl also b/c both our kids have severe allergies and ear issues, so that helps cut down on the pressure in the ears (but check with your doctor on that). I was amazed last time we flew with our 2 year old, she slept the whole way in the plane (without the benadryl - haha!). It was just like being in the car for her b/c she had her blankie, her favorite toys and her own carseat. It was like a big adventure for her. :)

He's actually sitting on our lap the whole way, but I like he idea of he carseat so she's restrained hehe! Would make things MUCH easier! =)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Favorite board books with different textures, crayons and paper or a travel size etchasketch. Rhymes, pattycake, anything interactive. Not a lot of attention span so as soon as they tire of one toy or activity, switch it up. And they generally let you get up to stretch your legs, so take a little walk up and down the aisle. And point out and talk about everything you see or experience on the plane. And when all else fails, a good long snuggle time with a sippy cup and blanket.
    Regarding the air pressure on takeoff and landing, chewing helps too. Feed em cheerios one at a time, or whatever other small snack that keeps their jaws moving. I was still breastfeeding my 13 month old when we travelled by plane, so he nursed and fell asleep on takeoff and stayed asleep for the hour and a half flight, woke up during landing. It was great! :-)
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Already lots of great ideas, can I just add a couple (my babies are now 30, 28, 25, 17 yrs lol).

If you take toys and drawing activities, bring them gradually so he only has 1 or 2 at a time.

And make an arrangement with your husband to have 'shifts' - you look after him for say 1 hour, then hubby has him for an hour so you can each get some space and peace. I know you adore your child but the plane can be very confining if you don't have some time off.

And when all else fails, if the flight is calm then abit of walking the isles will break things up.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Also, on your layover, do NOT let him sleep! Run him around (within reason), play with him, get him excited. See if you can get him some warm milk for just before your second flight. If you do all that, he's almost guaranteed to sleep on the second leg.