Bike NSV

Options
bllowry
bllowry Posts: 239 Member
We (hubby and I) bought bikes a month ago; I had not ridden a bike in over 35 years and have never owned one. Our first rides about the neighbourhood left me panting and with achy knees. I never thought we lived in a hilly area (we do) because I was always in the truck. We've worked up to riding for a hour at a time.

Today we decided to explore a bike path that just opened even though the bridge is a pretty steep arc; I figured worse case I'd hop off and walk up to the top of the hill. We have 7 speeds and I managed to get up the hill in 3rd gear! The path runs along the river and we rode from the bridge to one end, turned about and took it the other way until it ended and then tackled the bridge again. I made it riding the whole way again, though in first gear. We then rode back to our house and took a long fairly steep hill that I had to walk the bike up the first time we tried and I haven't been back on it since in that direction. We rode for an hour and fifteen minutes; the hubby got online and charted the mileage from the bike path maps: 6.6 miles! I never thought I'd be able to ride a mile!

Replies

• joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker:
    great job!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you!!!! Your post is so inspiring. You should be very proud of your accomplishment!:drinker:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    We (hubby and I) bought bikes a month ago; I had not ridden a bike in over 35 years and have never owned one. Our first rides about the neighbourhood left me panting and with achy knees. I never thought we lived in a hilly area (we do) because I was always in the truck. We've worked up to riding for a hour at a time.

Today we decided to explore a bike path that just opened even though the bridge is a pretty steep arc; I figured worse case I'd hop off and walk up to the top of the hill. We have 7 speeds and I managed to get up the hill in 3rd gear! The path runs along the river and we rode from the bridge to one end, turned about and took it the other way until it ended and then tackled the bridge again. I made it riding the whole way again, though in first gear. We then rode back to our house and took a long fairly steep hill that I had to walk the bike up the first time we tried and I haven't been back on it since in that direction. We rode for an hour and fifteen minutes; the hubby got online and charted the mileage from the bike path maps: 6.6 miles! I never thought I'd be able to ride a mile!

Thats a fun NSV!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Biking is a great activity. My wife and I are doing the same and we are regularly riding about 11 miles up and down hills now. But I know what you mean, the first few times it was a real struggle just to get in a couple of miles. My NSV yesterday was going up our super long steep hill just before we get home in gears 1-3 (normally I am in 1-1).

I LOVE my bike. Its a Raleigh COMFORT/Crossover bike. I don't like sitting on a Popsicle sticks hunched over. My wife has a nice Electra that she loves.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! you always could do it.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is awesome.

I started struggling at a couple of kilometres around town and am now riding 27km (16 miles) to work, including some pretty massive hills. Tomorrow I am going to ride to work and then home again on the same day! Up until now I have ridden one way, had my husband pick me up, and then ridden home the next day.

Keep on pedalling.
  • ZoayZoay
    ZoayZoay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ah well done.

I bought a new bike about 2 months ago. I dislocated my kneecap in March and even getting on it was rather precarious. But yesterday, with both my BMI and my age A fair bit over 40, I cycled 12 miles, along with my husband and my 6 year old daughter. Feeling proud today.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Yes I started biking again ~ 2004 after not being on a bike in over 30 - 40 years. It is a great alternative to walking/jogging by working slightly different muscles and not as stressfull on the feet.

I am really enjoying it now. I did the biking leg of a short triathelon. Lots of fun.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Congrats,

I love bike riding.

one question what does NSV stand for?
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats,

I love bike riding.

one question what does NSV stand for?

NSV = Non Scale Victory. Any health, body, or mind accomplishment that does not directly relate to the scale.
    They are great to remember when the scale is not going the direction you really want it to go. :laugh:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You will see progress every time you ride. Biking is such a fun way to get fit!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the encouragement! We're trying to ride as much as we can before we get rain/snow for winter. I'll have to use the elliptical then, but come spring I will be even lighter and stronger!
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks Joy, I see it all the time but couldn't figure it out. I learned a while back that your body is horrible at multi tasking so therefore you will see weight loss then see inches come off then the weight loss will resume..... Formerly tight clothes that you now fit into are the biggest yeahs for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!