Taller Women

Options
Women 5ft 10in and over. What is your current/goal weight and your daily calorie goal? Do you find it harder or easier to lose weight than shorter people?

Replies

• Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have my goals set for 1350/daily. I'm close to my goal weight but the closer I get the harder it seems to get. It almost seems like I'm not supposed to be any smaller. But that's not the case. I find it very challenging to find the magic number to make things happen.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    HI there~ 5'11, currently 203. Calorie intake is set at 1420. Lost a lot at first. Definitely harder now, but that is not unique to tall girls! I am making cardio more intense and doing more strength/weights. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • skarr28
    skarr28 Posts: 98
    Options
    5'10, last I checked, it was 215 lbs.

I actually do notice it seems easier for me to lose weight than my shorter friends. However, because of my height, 20 lbs on me looks like 10 on a lot fo them.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and I am currently 200 lbs with a goal weight of 150. I personally will lose weight fairly easily. I don't know how I stack up compared to shorter people regarding that ;)
    My daily calorie goal is 1730. :)
  • hollyrlambert
    hollyrlambert Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey!

5ft 10.5 and definitely is that little bit harder now. Lost just over 3kgs (6.6 pounds) easy but now im just over a month in and its taken me 2 weeks to go from 64.6kg (142.4 pounds) to 63.8kg (140.6 pounds) - so I think it is slowing up a bit.

BUT, I am only 3.8kg away from my goal weight so could be that too?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 188lbs at the moment. I'm not too sure about my goal weight but according to BMI it is 179. I have it set at 174. I'm going to wait till I get there and see how I feel. I started at 229 and have worked hard to get this weight off but it has come off at a rate of around 2-3 lbs average which I'm really pleased with. My cals are set at 1200. I eat my exercise calories.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft. Starting weight was 291, I'm now at 256. It hasn't been easy, but it's been relatively quick since I started at the beginning of July. I've got a long way to go though, another 65 pounds.

My cals are set at 1560 and I don't eat my exercise cals
  • talilakay2
    talilakay2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'11" and currently 173lbs. I started out at 178lbs last week, and I have found that reducing my calories to between 1250 and 1500, the weight has dropped off me. This includes going to the gym twice, for a medium-intensity workout. I can't see any difference in my clothes yet though! SO i think maybe we do burn it off a little quicker.

I think that being tall, any fat that I store tends to distribute itself all over my body, and not just in one place like my tummy or thighs.
  • dream_litotes
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I think I'm around 198 right now (I don't have any scales). I was down to around 185 in April but then exam season and going back home for the summer happened, plus I moved to France a month ago (so much delicious food! and no exercise routine yet) so now I have to retrain myself to get back into the good habits I learned in the spring. My ultimate goal weight is 165 but I'm definitely going for feeling/looking good (and being able to run as much as I want!) rather than obsessing over numbers.
  • angelica9477
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and currently weigh 186.5. My lowest weight was 135. I would love to get down to at least 166 before the end of this year. It's hard losing weight when you're tall because it doesn't really show as much, not complaining mind you, so then when I reach out for support all I get is that I don't look like I need to lose weight. Not so, but trying to tell them I need to just ends up in an argument becuase they just don't understand. I would love to sit down and not worry about my belly poking out over my jeans. I want my flat tummy back. I feel your pain when it comes to this.
  • cdonkin25
    Options
    I am too 5'11... Anyone else get fed up with "your tall, you can carry it off"?? Drives me crazy!!!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"11 with a medium build and i currently weigh 180 with a goal of 160, i did go from 198 to 170 but let my appetite get the better of me so i'm beginning again from 183! Its taken me 4 weeks to lose 3lbs and im on 1600 cals and only eat about half my exercise cals.
    I'm considering doing a version of the dukan diet i.e. high protein, low carb and less fruit sugars!

I'm just tired of feeling big and lumbering next to everyone else and would like to feel happier, not skinnier, happier.
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls,

Wow, really useful thread, yes cdonkin25 it always annoys me how people say you can 'carry it off' too! I'm 5'10 and 180lb, my Wii Fit (which I weigh myself on) tells me that to be my ideal BMI I need to lose 28lb, I think it's a realistic goal but it is tough when you're taller as people think you're slimmer than you actually are!
  • jaygee2772
    Options
    Hello I am 5"11 and I weighted 294 (320 was my highest weight 1year ago) it makes me mad when someone says I carry it well. I have lost 10pounds being on MFP and my calories is 1700. I want to lose 120 pounds. I try to never eat my exericss calories unless I am starving after a long workout. Would love to make friends with other tall women.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9".
    151lbs
    I'm kind of maintaining* at 2000 calories a day plus exercise calories.

*basically I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds but am happy where I am and want to make sure I eat enough for the strength training I'm doing...
  • I'm 5'9'', and my daily calorie limit is 1730. I'm set to lose a half pound a week. I think as a tall person, you have to lose more weight for people to notice, but you have to gain more weight for it to be noticeable.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    I am almost 5'11" and weigh 148 currently. I started at 165 in early July. I am set at 1400 calories to lose a pound a week plus I run 4-6 miles about 5-6 days a week so that ups my calories quite a bit...but I never eat them all. I average eating about 1500 a day. My goal weight was 145 but I am going to shoot for 140 now that I am getting close and because in the past I liked my body best at that weight.
  • Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    6 FT - 170

My calorie goal is set at 1200 (not that I hit it every day) but I CANNOT MOVE OFF OF 169 - 170 and I'm working out 5 x a week. It sucks. Do I look like I've lost NO! WHY? Oh because .5 came from my toe, .5 came from my ankle...I think it's a WHIP to lose as a tall woman. Good luck gals!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11". I've been maintaining at 160 for 6 months and have really wanted to get down another 10 lbs, but my weight won't budge. So I'm really amping it up now, I've started to lift heavy weights now and will keep up my running (I run about 30-40k a week). I have been doing Weight Watchers for almost a year now, it worked for me for the first 41 lbs off, but that last 10 just does not want to budge.

And people are dumbfounded when I say I've lost 41 lbs, they always ask 'where do you hide it?!'. In my size 16s, I guess!! :laugh: I do always seem to lose the weight quickly, but I thought it was just because I'm super motivated! I have moved over to MFP for a while so I can really manage my calories and not go so crazy with the 'free fruit' on WW. My calories are set around 1730 (plus whatever exercise I do--and I eat MOST of my exercise calories!).
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, currently 137.2lbs. I'm toning mostly now but still have a little fat to take off around my midsection to really see some ab definition. Mostly focused on building strength and toning up though and pretty soon looking to see the scale go up as I build more muscle. This is the hardest stage for me, so I'm working with a personal trainer who has been so fantastic and a great support.