Rash Decision for C25K

Options
I think I made the decision too fast. I thought I'd start the C25K today, but I honestly feel extremely anxious about it. I'm notorious for makin' quick decisions without really thinking about everything before making the declaration. I'm really in a strange place. I did very well the first few weeks of my journey, but now I'm kinda stuck. It seems as though I can't stop wanting food, I don't want to exercise, etc. I'm no where near my goal, and I'm not sure what's happening. In the midst of all this, I made the fast decision to just go ahead & do something daring...start running. In truth, I don't think I want to run. Oh man, I feel straight-up bananas. I need to really sit and listen for God's voice. No lie. It's not all about the exercise anyway, right? If I don't eat right - I'm screwed. Geez!

Am I the only person that does crazy things like this? Just curious.

Replies

• cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I made the descision the try the C25K and I love it! I run alot now. I used to workout on the elliptical but now I run(well 5mph may be jogging to some but running to me). Anyway, exercise isnt all of it BUT neither it the food. I think it has to be a balance between metallity, willpower, exercise and food choices...its not a diet or exercise 'chore' its a lifestyle change to eat better and move more! HTH!
  • derbylea
    Options
    I started C25K at the end of last May and finished in August. When I started I could barely run the 60 seconds required at the beginning. I can now run for 30 minutes straight. This is the first time in my life I have ever been able to do this. I started C25K before I even began dieting. I have now lost around 15 pounds but am still plenty overweight. C25K is totally doable.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just give it a try! I'm on week 4--I was very scared and anxious to try it but I'm doing it. I can't say as I love running (or that I'm ever going to love running!) but now that I am 4 weeks into it I feel I have to finish just to show myself I can. I think this is what this whole darn thing is about, is it? Proving to ourselves that we can! But if you just don't like it you'll find something you do like and stick to it!
  • Mivarty
    Mivarty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    <<I think I made the decision too fast>>
    The decision to start exercising is NEVER taken too soon!

<<I did very well the first few weeks of my journey>>
    Great - well done! Now build on that by making sure the next 8 weeks are even better!

<<I can't stop wanting food, I don't want to exercise>>
    A sure sign that you need to exercise ;-)

<<It's not all about the exercise anyway, right? If I don't eat right - I'm screwed>>
    You're right - it's about both aspects. It sounds like you're doing well with the eating bit, so time to start on the other thing. cwglosin4vaca puts it really well - "eat better and move more".

<<Oh man, I feel straight-up bananas>>
    Look at the second quote in your signature - you sound pretty excited and scared to me!

Good luck!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself at that point right now, too. I start off really gung-ho and excited, then a few weeks in, my motivation starts to lag. It doesn't help that I'm fighting a horrible cold/cough right now either. This is that point where I have to MAKE myself go work out. That's where this site is such a good thing for me. I feel accountable to all those people I've friended. I feel like they are expecting me to post my exercise today, so I have to go do it. I will have to take it easy today due to this cough, but I will definitely get to the gym and do SOMETHING. Probably just treadmill and some weights today; not sure I have the energy for the elliptical today after all the coughing.

Feel free to friend me...I'm in the same boat as you! I eventually want to try C25K, too, but I have some more work to do before I'm ready to start that.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You'll never, ever know until you try. You won't.

Let me share with you one secret of mine-- working out is good motivation when it comes to eating, too. I think "wow, I worked my *kitten* off running, am I going to ruin it all by eating cookies? Um, no. I did all that hard work, keep up the good work, me!!!" KWIM? Start thinking in terms of that.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Make reasonable goals and bust your as$ to meet them. Then make a harder goal.

I jumped on here trying to cut calories, exercise more, and completely hit a wall. Now I'm lifting heavy and eating to appetite... focused more on the consistency of working out and my regime than on calories. (Although I still try and follow a 40/30/30).

After a while I'm going to see if I can tweak the calories or the diet if my physical goals are slow in coming.

If you try and do everything at once, you'll burn out. Just focus on what matters MOST to you. You can eat your way through any amount of exercise, and you can "get skinny" but be weak and frail as an infant. Strive for balance, and strive to meet your reasonable goals.

Personally........ I don't think it's a "rash" decision. Quick commitment, maybe. But I don't know if you'll be happy until you at least keep your promise to yourself, and give it your all. Even if you bomb halfway through, that's an epic WIN in my mind, because you started it and busted your balls to be true to yourself. :heart:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    You'll never, ever know until you try. You won't.

Let me share with you one secret of mine-- working out is good motivation when it comes to eating, too. I think "wow, I worked my *kitten* off running, am I going to ruin it all by eating cookies? Um, no. I did all that hard work, keep up the good work, me!!!" KWIM? Start thinking in terms of that.

^^^ YES. I am the same way. Fitness and Nutrition seem to go hand-in-hand. When I spiral down, if I can just get a workout in, I'll start eating better..... and it's an uphill climb from there, the view from the top is beyond compare! :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Im crazy like that. I make rash decisions and then have a hard time with the follow through if it's a long term gig. That's why I love my running; because it's an example of something that I really wanted to do and made happen consistently over the course of 15 years. I have been very very consistent in my plan (almost never miss a day) and have followed through all the way to the end, ie, I did my fourth marathon yesterday. It comes down to what you want from your life. You need to address all your needs (physical, emotional, social and intellectual) and keep balance to be truly content. If you WANT to be a runner and make that part of your balance, you will make it happen. You just need to make a plan and follow it. Write it in your calendar/planner like it was an important meeting. Because honestly, it IS an important meeting. Don't let the obstacles give you hesitation or doubt... because there will be many. My husband was one obstacle at first. He thought training for a marathon was "crazy"!! (BTW He later did 3 marathons himself. hehe)

Good luck!!
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Okay, I am scared. I admit it. But you've all helped me tremendously. Originally, I was going to run outside...down the street. I think that really made me anxious. I don't know why, it just did. However, I live in an awesome complex that has a gym with two treadmills, so I really have NO excuse. I'm still nervous. But...I have to move, right? Is there any sanity to this torture I put myself through? ROFL!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Serenity.gif
    If you keep waiting until everything is perfect, you'll never do it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was really nervous/embarrassed about running outside at first too. I was still over 200 pounds when I started doing running intervals and thought I must look rediculous! But I kept doing it anyway...
    Recently I read an article about running that said Joan Benoit, a famous marathoner in these parts, was so embarrassed when she first started running that she'd stop and pretend to be looking at the flowers when cars approached. So, think about that, even someone who'd been very successful with running for years started out feeling those same fears. You're definitely not alone!

Someone mentioned your quotes so I went back and read them and think you should make those your personal mantra on your way out the door (or to the gym if you do go that route). Focus on how much you're doing for your health and fitness and totally dismiss those doubts and fears.

At least give it a try. If you do decide you really hate running, then find something else you'll love.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am scared. I admit it. But you've all helped me tremendously. Originally, I was going to run outside...down the street. I think that really made me anxious. I don't know why, it just did. However, I live in an awesome complex that has a gym with two treadmills, so I really have NO excuse. I'm still nervous. But...I have to move, right? Is there any sanity to this torture I put myself through? ROFL!

Challenge yourself to think of yourself as a runner. Think, "I can do this!" or whatever positive mantra that you need to give you strength to do what you dream to do. Taking risks IS scary. I love that little scare. It gives me the push to do what others might say is impossible. Go outside. Fight that fear that says you can't do it or whatever it is that makes you anxious about running outdoors. Push yourself to be courageous and great things will happen. You will surprise yourself.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    31 minutes before I began the c25k program, I didn't have a thought of ever running. Found the app and I was on the road 30 minutes later. Best decision that I made. DIdn't think about it, just did it. Didn't have time for anxiety.

I am using the Insanity program right now. Had the program for a few weeks. One day I didn't want to run, but knew I had to get some work in. Next thing I know I am doing the fit test.

Bottom line, just don't think about it, do it when you aren't thinking about it.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I gave C25K a little more than 30 minutes of semi-serious consideration before I began, but not a lot. One day it just occurred to me that the timimg was right for it. I was coming in to the home stretch on my weight loss journey and hoped a switch-up in my exercise program would help me to avoid a late plateau. And the running program provided a long series of incremental goals - more than 2 months worth - to distract my attention away from the bathroom scale. It was exactly what I needed.

I was also too self-conscious to run outside in the beginning, or even on the little indoor track at the gym. It would have been really embarrassing if I hadn't been able to complete even one lap on the thing. But the treadmill got really old really fast and I didn't use it except to gauge my speed after the 4th week.

One thing I've noticed since moving my runs out of doors is that very few people seem to have any interest in runners. Strangers were a lot more likely to give me a second look back in the days when I was doing a lot of walking for fitness, perhaps because my intentions were less obvious then. Was I lost? Had my car broken down in the next block? Was I casing the neighborhood for some breaking and entering? Now, when most strangers notice me at all, their minds instantly register "jogger" and then immediately move on to more interesting thoughts. That's assuming I'm appropriately dressed for the activity, of course. I'm sure I'd get a lot more attention if I ran down the street in a skirt and heels.