Cant stop eating potatoes

Options
I love potatoes and just cant stop eating them. I try to make them as "healthy" as I can by oven roasting in garlic and olive oil. but I feel like eating them every day. that cant be good Right? how do I stop?:explode:

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just make yourself start incorporating different veggies into your diet. Limit yourself to potatoes like twice a week or something.....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Or keep eating them but still hit your calorie and macronutrient goals each day.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    Potatoes are not horrible for you! It is okay to eat them. I moved my carb eating up to my noon time meal and at dinner try to have a side salad instead of a starchy side. Then i get to enjoy my starch but I know it's earlier in the day and will get burned off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, you could try not purchasing and/or growing them for starters.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion control, usually 4 oz for potatoes:drinker: . As long as it fits into your goals. Eat away.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    stop buying them! and if they're home grown, give them away to friends and coworkers.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    try this. slice your potatoes into french fries. cut some turnips and carrots about the same size. spray cooking spray lay down veggies and sprinkle a little sea salt. super yummy.. your turnips and carrots should make up about 75% of your sheet. (i found turnips adn acorn squash taste just like french fires)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Listen... it's potatoes not potatoe chips or worse..... as long as you are hitting your goals, you should be ok. If you get stuck, then revisit this option. :brokenheart: Who said you can't have potatoes every day, anyway? :tongue:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! A fellow potato addict! I know exactly how you feel. I LOVE potatoes and crave them like other people crave sweets.
    I love them anyway you cook them (except for German Potato Salad). Love baked potatoes and can now eat them with salt & pepper. I used to love to put a ton of butter on them, but nixt that. I will use some fat free sour cream too. You have to figure it's better than having a candy bar :happy:
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If they fit in to your calories and other nutrients, I say go for it!! :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Or keep eating them but still hit your calorie and macronutrient goals each day.

^^ Thank You.

I eat ate potatoes every night last week (roasted in olive oil and spices) YUM btw. And I lose steadily :]

If it fits into your macros, then eat it. Nothing wrong with potatoes -.-
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Potatoes are a great way to have something satisfying, they have protein too so can bolster them up to a decent filling item themselves with a touch of shredded cheese or whey protein, my potatoe from my diary today indicates 10% calories from protein, my goal is 35% protein so I added protein powder to it. With the balance it goes a lot farther.

Shredded potatoes and carrots cook up in almost no-time unlike their unshredded counterparts ;)
    Options
    stop buying them! and if they're home grown, give them away to friends and coworkers.

why? xD
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that if they aren't prepared with tons of saturated fat (assuming you don't have a medical reason to limit carbs). Try to eat other veggies with your potatoes to make sure you get all your essential nutrients.
    Options
    Potatoes are a great way to have something satisfying, they have protein too so can bolster them up to a decent filling item themselves with a touch of shredded cheese or whey protein, my potatoe from my diary today indicates 10% calories from protein, my goal is 35% protein so I added protein powder to it. With the balance it goes a lot farther.

Shredded potatoes and carrots cook up in almost no-time unlike their unshredded counterparts ;)

I like red potatoes too. and they are LOADED with potassium! Which most people are greatly lacking.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes several times a week and have for years. I say keep eating them. Potatoes = good!
  • Jessicadollyy
    Options
    OMG!! THERE IS ANOTHER ONE OF ME OUT THERE!! lol I love potoatoes, it is my favoirute food and not having them is soo hard for me to stick to my diet! i started about a week ago and I am going strong!! Good luck!
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have found our brains crave what we feed them, a very true statement. White or yellow potatoes have a higher glycemic index, which makes you crave more carbs than the red or sweet potato, which have a low glycemic index. Like any food we feed our brain, the more you eat of it the more you will crave it, it's how our brain works. Try first switching to the red potatoes, then stuff them with healthy foods, like broccoli, or corn/black bean salsa. Take some of the potato insides out before you stuff and keep adding more veggies each time taking out more of the potato. Also try a plain sweet potato on other days, you can sprinkle it with cinnamon or just eat plain, again adding veggies to your plate as well. It's amazing over time how the brain reacts to what we feed it. I hope this helps.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Boil them! Or steam them.... they're fine until you add all that fat on! 40kCal per TEASPOON in olive oil! You probably use about 5 teaspoons worth when roasting.... do the math! Add healthy dressings like lemon juice and herbs and a tiny bit of olive oil or olive oil spray so it's just enough!
    Options
    Boil them! Or steam them.... they're fine until you add all that fat on! 40kCal per TEASPOON in olive oil! You probably use about 5 teaspoons worth when roasting.... do the math! Add healthy dressings like lemon juice and herbs and a tiny bit of olive oil or olive oil spray so it's just enough!
    Umm... olive oil is incredibly healthy for you. FAT IS GOOD. You need fats in your diet and olive oil is an excellent source!