What to eat before workouts?

Options
I am going to a spin class tonight and my friend said I should eat something "light" before I go. So like would an apple do?

Replies

• bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Apple and some type of protein, you're realy gonna need it!! and you may not feel like it, but you need to have a good high protein snack or meal soon after spin class to help with recovery!!

Keep going, I LOVE my spin class!! But haven't been able to go lately :( hoping to get back to 3 days a week of spin real soon!!

Just keep going!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person. Some people have better performance with some form of food in their system. Others train better fasted. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is to eat something large and dense very shortly before a workout as it could lead to an upset stomach.

Have an apple and a go workout and see how it goes!
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat something high in carbs 20-30 mins before my workout. It's usually a banana and an orange, or something along those lines.

Then I eat something high in protein right after my workout.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stupid double post...
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    An apple and some nut butter (almond or peanut). Bananas are good too, with PB, or maybe a granola bar. A few carbs, with some good protein, but nothing too heavy. I'd try to stay below 150 calories, if I were you....
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I can't eat or drink anything more than a 1/2 hour before I work out or I'll be puking (stupid reflux). But everyone else's ideas sound good, if you can handle it!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I will also endorse the peanut butter with that apple you got handy.

I personally quit eating an hour before I workout so as not to have anything actually in the stomach. I promptly follow the workout with a protein shake or bar.

Enjoy the spin class.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Back when I could eat crackers, I liked 5-6 Ritz with some peanut butter on top.
    It was perfect!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half a pb sandwich before i head out, if I'm rushed out the door..

and then I have my peanut butter smoothie shake after.. but tonight I am also doing spin before dinner..soooo, I will have my dinner prepared before I come home...Turkey chili sounds about yummy tonite..:wink:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing but an Apple, some Cheese, and maybe a granola bar before I go for a run.

Afterwards its Banana's and Chocolate milk which are awesome for rebuilding tissue. Decent blend of carbs, proteins, and electrolytes.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    If it's an early workout (7am or earlier) then I can't eat anything. I will feel so sick if I do. If it's an afternoon/evening workout, I try to eat light an hour before, then protein after. Apple with PB is a great option!