The Wall???

Options
I have heard of hitting the "wall" while running a marathon but has anyone out there hit this while running on their own and not in a marathon. This past week i did ALOT of running ( i live in Ohio and it was great weather this week so I figured I would run almost everyday since we are supposed to have rain everyday for a week this week). But anyways I went for a run on saturday and from the get go I felt like I was lacking energy or something. My legs felt heavy and weak. I made it my normal 7 miles but i had to walk the majority of it because i would get to a point where i just could not go anymore. My heart rate stayed pretty high the whole time and I ended up burning roughly the same amount of calories as I would if I ran the whole thing. Has is it possible to hit this wall while not in the middle of the marathon, and what exactly is "the wall" and how do you overcome it? Like do i need to take time off from running or what???

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's glycogen depletion... lots of resources online, this might be a good start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall
  • tegeos
    tegeos Posts: 20
    Options
    Sounds like you bonked on the run. It has happened to me a few times. You basically exhausted all stored energy in your system. Interesting link on the bonk.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_wellness/tno_nutritionarticle_12.asp
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    While I've never hit it, I spend a lot of time with hardcore runners. I believe a 'wall' is a limit you reach well within a run- you start out fine, you run for miles, you go further/harder/faster than you usually do, and at some point everything about your body stops working. There are videos of it online where people are literally crawling because their leg muscles don't coordinate properly. Not a normal 'tired' situation and there isnt much to get past it, just better energy conservation and pacing practices before you get there.

What you've experienced is probably just short-term overtraining. You've used up all your glycogen stores, and you need to take at bare minimum a day to recover.

There's my 2cents ;D
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's glycogen depletion... lots of resources online, this might be a good start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

So i take it being on a lower carb diet is not the answer if I want to keep running. ( under 150g per day)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible to hit "the wall" at any time. Basically, this just happens when your body runs out of glycogen. If you ran a lot more than you normally do and didn't up your carbohydrate intake, it's very likely that your body ran out. It's harder and takes longer for your body to convert fat to energy, which is why everything starts to feel harder. Carb up!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

So i take it being on a lower carb diet is not the answer if I want to keep running. ( under 150g per day)

Not if you want to keep running for any extended distances. You can still run and your body will adjust, but you will not be able to run at your peak for high weekly mileage on this low of a carb consumption.
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    Could be glycogen depletion or dehydration...try some good carbs and water then try again. You can definately overtrain...running every other day gives your body time to repair and restore itself...running everyday may be too much. Be careful.

Also, do you use gels of any kind during a log run? Over 4 or so, you may find then useful to sustain.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Yes, definitely "carb load" before a long run and generally keep your body's fuel levels up!
  • VixenGddss5
    Options
    my boyfriend reads men's health religiously and I remember his mentioning something about carbs, fat and protein before a big workout (60 min??? or was it 30??) and then protein after. Not sure how much or exactly when since it didn't really apply to me, women have slightly different needs when working out.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My understanding is the it generally takes about 3 hours of exercise to fully deplete your glycogen stores, that's why people talk about hitting the wall around mile 20 of a marathon
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I bonked on runs when I was running every single day. I was also trying to stay lower carb at the time, so it was likely a double whammy.

Now days I mix up my run days with strength days and cross training days (bike, elliptical or skating). And I only do one "long" run a week, the others are shorter. Plus I take an entire day off every week for recovery. I also stopped trying to eat lower carb. Even so, I still have difficulty keeping my carbs up any higher than 40-43% of my daily calories (I'm aiming for 50%) simply because I got so used to the foods I ate on a regular basis before.

Since I made those changes I've only bonked on one run. And it was likely my own fault cuz I did a little over an hour of strength before the run and I hadn't eaten before I went to the gym, so by the time I got to my run it had been over three hours since I'd last eaten, and that was only a small snack. So I was ridiculously hungry and had no energy whatsoever. It literally felt like I was running on empty.

I don't run what's really considered long distance, so the idea of "carbo-loading" isn't really needed. But I tend to do well with runs when I stick something like a Luna Bar around 30-45 min before a "long" run or any normal meal about two hours before. Then a small bit of something that's mostly carbs, with a little protein, after the run. I only do higher protein/lower carb after strength only nights. (1.5-2 hrs of strength only)
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My understanding is long-term, long-distance, low-intensity athletic training is the least compatible with a low-carb diet. "The wall" is a symptom of the body's demand for more readily available carbs (more glycogen). For this reason, I believe you can hit the wall at any time, not just after three hours, because you may not be starting with a "full" fuel tank (ie, the most free carbs or available glycogen your body can carry) - and that low-carbing will exacerbate this effect.

Another sign you may need to up your carbs to be more compatible with your exercise regime is any abnormal dizziness or mental confusion outside of your training time.