CALLING ALL WOMEN!

Options
Hey, when you have your "time of the month", how do you deal with the cramps? I get quite sore ones, i have taken some pain relief but it never seems to last long, went to the gym before and I struggled because I felt sick and worn out with bad cramps. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing today. I usually take 2-3 ibuprofin every 4 hours as I need it. Make sure you take them with food. It usually helps for me.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've found is Moon Cycle tea. Drink a nice big unsweetened cup of this before you hit the gym or anytime your cramps are making things rough. It really works and lasts for a good while.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I usually just grin and bear it, but if it is particularly bad, I take ibuprofen (Advil). Believe it or not, exercise is known to help reduce it as well. It has worked for me. Good luck!
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill, microgynon as my cramps were too bad. I got put on mefenamic acid a painkiller by the doc but it wasn't strong enough, with the pill they stopped straight away.
  • Tams297
    Tams297 Posts: 15
    Options
    I find that a hot water bottle helps - in fact i keep a wheat bag at work which is great because i can tuck it in my trousers and still walk round as long as i have a baggy top on (usually do at this time of the month!!) and for when i get really bad back cramps i have found that a tens machine helps. I got mine on amazon and it's really good. Hope you find something that works for you x
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    yeah i'm on the pill too but for the other reason lol
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Working out regularly, eating healthy, staying away from caffeine and limiting sugar, plus flax seed has been magical!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    regular exercise has really eased up on my cramps. And I watch the salt more around that time for bloating.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I take ibuprofen and warm up my magicbag to keep on the area that hurts the most. Then I'll lay in recovery position on my bed until I pass out. Usually after a 2 hour nap I'm good.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    all good suggestions . thanks :)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When it’s REALLY bad, I’ll take some ibuprofen and drink some hot herbal tea and use a heat pack. I’m too cheap to buy a heat pack so I made one out of an old sock and white rice. It sounds goofy, but it works. Basically fill a sock up with rice, throw a couple unused mint tea bags in there if you want it to smell minty, and then tie the top of the sock REALLY well. Pop it in the microwave for about a minute +/- and then set it on your lower tummy. It helps me deal with the pain when it’s really bad. Of course, I still just lay on the couch and whine but it helps the pain. Getting exercise, such as walking, seems to help also.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I got put on the pill. It helps a lot.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I feel the first twinges, I take ibuprofen. When they get bad I put on one of those pain patches or rub Icy Hot, lol. I get some killer cramps.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Working out regularly, eating healthy, staying away from caffeine and limiting sugar, plus flax seed has been magical!

Cutting out coffee and black tea has changed my life - esp. regarding PMS and TOM!!! Working out helps a lot too - as well as eating mostly whole foods rather than processed crap.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    Of course, I still just lay on the couch and whine

hahhaa yeah :D my boyfriend takes the brunt of that XD
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I get cramps bad where I can cry.....:sad: I just take hot tea and IBuprofen. Still doesn't go away!!! Why cant GUYS HAVE THIS??????
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I get cramps bad where I can cry.....:sad: I just take hot tea and IBuprofen. Still doesn't go away!!! Why cant GUYS HAVE THIS??????

haha yeah, i feel like rubbish all week long, even if i do exercise, and i want to eat everything in the kitchen !! haha , i usually get satisfied with my meals but when i do get my period i just want to eat like there's no tomorrow haha i restrain myself though :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I take some tylenol and go on with my day. Exercising and moving helps dull the pain.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I always feel better exercising. I may not feel like exercising but I feel so much better (less cramps and ect) afterward. I force myself to move.