What's the difference?

Options
Ive been hearing lately from some "Friends" and family memebers telling me I dont need to lose weight because im Big not fat.
Uh....on the BMI iam in the Obese level im 268 pounds. Can someone please explain to me what's the differnce of fat and big.
Also I told them im doing it for me and my health I dont want to suffer from high blood pressure and Dietbetes. Somehow they dont believe it.

Replies

• alung2k3
    alung2k3 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is just my view but when someone says fat, they mean disproportional to your height and build. For example two people weighing the same, but each person having a different frame/build makes them look totally different.

Also good on you for deciding to go for it. Your friends should show support and get on board! X
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BMI is BS, worry about your body fat%. At 268 pounds unless you are really really tall (well over 6 feet tall) then you are obese. When I started at 217 (I'm 5'9") I was obese. That amount of body fat is unhealthy.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Family did the same to me, oh you're just big etc, no I'm FAT, and finally doing something about it.
    It really depends on perspective though, someone "normal" weight from the 70's may well look like a rail compared to what passes as normal these days ;)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to suspect the difference is that if they agree that you are fat then they might have to acknowledge that they need to make changes as well.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think the difference might be that "big" is someone you love, and "fat" is considered an insult.

My husband is a big guy. I love him and his size/weight doesn't change how I feel about him. I'd never call him fat, because that just sounds mean. But when he wants to lose, I'll encourage him. And he did drop about 20 pounds as the result of me eating healthier and not buying & cooking as much junky stuff.
  • Hippititimus
    Options
    fat is unhealthy

rugby players are big (20 years old, 280 pounds run 100 metres in 11 seconds) likewise American footballers

Im fat, same weight as the rugby player and would probably choose to drive the 100 metres

Hippi
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There's a definite cultural factor involved in what different people think is too big, and loved ones many times see us in a more flattering light than what's reality. But in general I think people tend to think you're "big" when you're not disproportional - you probably don't have a giant spare tire around the middle of your stomach, that sort of thing (like I've been known to have lol), and/or you're built pretty solidly for your weight (maybe you carry a lot of muscle already and/or have large bones). But, you're definitely at an unhealthy weight, and in a good place for that! :)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think the difference might be that "big" is someone you love, and "fat" is considered an insult.

My husband is a big guy. I love him and his size/weight doesn't change how I feel about him. I'd never call him fat, because that just sounds mean. But when he wants to lose, I'll encourage him. And he did drop about 20 pounds as the result of me eating healthier and not buying & cooking as much junky stuff.

This. The people close to me have been very supportive. They understand why I'm doing this and what I'm trying to accomplish. In their eyes, I've never been fat, but they'll tell you there was a time I was big. Even at my heaviest, I never looked... wrong? I guess.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

We have a winner!

Family is weird about weight loss. They either don't want to offend you or, and especially if they are obese, they are threatened by your weight loss which is unfortunately more common that you think.

I am also 5'7" and think no matter what size frame you have, over 200 is likely too much, with exception to the rugby player example someone posted above.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to suspect the difference is that if they agree that you are fat then they might have to acknowledge that they need to make changes as well.

Sounds very likely.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Remember, also, that different body types are valued in different cultures. "Big" may be a synonym for beautiful, powerful, sexy in some families - in mine, my mom calls me "big" when she thinks I am getting too fat but wants to be tactful about it.

But one thing that doesn't change across cultures is your health, and what extra weight means for your health! Carrying around extra body fat means a lot of things about your risk for diabetes, asthma, heart disease, and even some types of cancer. You can make a goal of getting HEALTHY without necessarily making it your goal to get SMALLER. Think of all the good things that help your body be strong, fight off disease, and repair itself that come in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats. Think of all the good things that come with being able to run farther, lift more, move more quickly, and have less pain in your joints and muscles that come from exercising more.

If you make a commitment to really learn about what is healthy and to follow that, both with food and exercise, no one in your family can object to that! You may lose fat on the way (and probably will) - but the main benefit will be a more vibrant, stronger, healthier you!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ive been hearing lately from some "Friends" and family memebers telling me I dont need to lose weight because im Big not fat.

Uh....on the BMI iam in the Obese level im 268 pounds. Can someone please explain to me what's the differnce of fat and big.
    Also I told them im doing it for me and my health I dont want to suffer from high blood pressure and Dietbetes. Somehow they dont believe it.

Honey, at 5'7" and 268 lbs, you're FAT. It's an ugly word, but I'm FAT, too, so I can use it.

I suspect some of your "friends" and family members are telling you that you're big and not fat because they're FAT too and in denial about it.

I used to tell myself I was "big boned" and "large framed" to give myself the excuse of carrying around an extra 30 - 50 lbs above what the height/weight charts told me I should weigh. But then I actually got my BMI measured using a "bod pod" chamber, and found to my severe disappointment that I was neither-- I was just FAT (like, BMI 36.1% FAT.)

A healthy body-mass index is below 25, and although height to weight ratio is not the ONLY factor that affects BMI, a chart or calculator like this one is a place to start: http://www.bodyshapingtips.com/body_mass/bmi_chart/

Good on you for challenging what your peers are telling you and setting yourself on a path towards better health!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Honey, at 5'7" and 268 lbs, you're FAT. It's an ugly word, but I'm FAT, too, so I can use it.

I suspect some of your "friends" and family members are telling you that you're big and not fat because they're FAT too and in denial about it.

I used to tell myself I was "big boned" and "large framed" to give myself the excuse of carrying around an extra 30 - 50 lbs above what the height/weight charts told me I should weigh. But then I actually got my BMI measured using a "bod pod" chamber, and found to my severe disappointment that I was neither-- I was just FAT (like, BMI 36.1% FAT.)

A healthy body-mass index is below 25, and although height to weight ratio is not the ONLY factor that affects BMI, a chart or calculator like this one is a place to start: http://www.bodyshapingtips.com/body_mass/bmi_chart/

Good on you for challenging what your peers are telling you and setting yourself on a path towards better health!

THANK YOU im printing this out!
  • kaldroa
    Options
    B, you know fat is the stuff that shakes when you jump up and down. :laugh:
  • kadoodle76
    Options

I agree. They were prolly just being nice. People say that to me all the time and I'm like...um, I'm 270 pounds. thats fat okay? lol Just take it as someone being a sweetheart and not wanting to make you feel bad about yourself.