Suggestions for upping my protien

Options
I am definately a carnavore, so I never would have thought enough protein would be an issue. However, I am thinking I need to up my protein a bit more. I never hit my target and my doctor suggested some more protein as I am experiencing hair loss with my weight loss. I could use some suggestions for ways to up my protein that won't break my calorie bank. Thanks so much.

Edited to add: I did up my protein goal and that is the point at which I never make it. On the default MFP setting I was usually over.

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I get mine from eating canned tuna, or sometimes chicken as well.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    grilled chicken breasts, beef jerky (lots of sodium though), eggs (I do hard boiled they're easier to eat at my desk at work), and as was said before tuna. all are great ways to get a large amount of protein in your system.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love meat, but I'm kind of lazy. The idea of preparing and eating enough protein is exhausting for me in itself. That's why I have 3 protein shakes/day on top of my other food. I can make it quick and chug it down.

I also try to get some extra if I'm feeling like a crunchy snack and have roasted soy nuts.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Most of mine comes from greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese.
  • keddabee
    Options
    low calorie/carb high protein shake. I drink 100% whey protein that only has 122 calories and is like a meal replacement. Also egg whites, lean meats (ham, chicken, fish and beef) and tuna :) good luck!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Take a look at my blog. I posted my food plan there and it has a lot of high protein options. Personally I love Clif Builders bars. But eggs, nuts, greek yogurt and more are all excellent choices.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    meat.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i drink protein shakes and eat meal bars a lot, but i also like smoked almonds and laughing cow lite cheese wedges from time to time. greek yogurt is good, if you aren't worried about sugar
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just have slightly larger portions of my protein in my meals. IE, 6-8 ounces of chicken, pork or fish instead of 3-4 ounces. An extra tablespoon of peanut butter on my PB&J. And I :heart: beef jerky! (The sodium sucks in in, though.)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For hair loss, I think you might want to up the fats in your diet too.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of protein shakes -- i make them with chocolate protein, iced decaf coffee, soy milk and sf syrups for flavors... I love them more than food some days :)

Greek Yogurt (the good kind -not the crap with more sugar than protein), nuts, avocado, quinoa -- if you're watching sodium, watch out for the cheese/cottage cheese/laughing cow - they are a shocker but do they give you protein.

I also take Biotin daily -- its specifically for hair/nail health.
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Egg whites- bout 17 calories each!

Whey protein Brownies- I have a recipe that ends up beign about 100 calories a serving and 52g of Protein. Made with apple sauce instead of fat and protein powder instead of flour.
  • mattellis2
    Options
    sockeye salmon, broiled. 5 oz = 250 cals, 12 grams fat, 30 grams protein.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure anything with flesh, and nuts, should supply the appropriate amount of protein.