question for runners

Options
I am new to running or what I do is a slow jog right now. I am down to a 15 minute mile right now. Trying to get down to at least a 10 min mile. My question is when working up to running faster and longer how often should I be running? everyday or every other? I dont want to injure myself and have a major setback but want to move forward! I find that when I wait a day between I do really well the next time, but is that how you train?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Every other day, especially for the first few months. You need to give your joints a chance to get used to the abuse. :laugh: If you feel like you need to do something on the days in between, find a low or non-impact exercise like swimming, biking, low-impact aerobics, yoga or weight lifting.

I run only every other day now, 6 months after I started but I'm running up to 6 miles per day. Some of that is time constraints but I also find that I have better runs when I only get out there every other day.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The only way for a new runner to get faster is to build your endurance. Run at whatever pace you are comfortable at, but increase your distance.

Every other day is good way to start.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would look into couch to 5k. Run at a pace you are comfortable at. Once you are regularly running try speed bursts during runs. Running hills help, too.
    For me I wasn't looking to get faster per say, but I wanted to work on how far I could run. Now I can run 5k faster than now that I am running farther.
  • jonesbrookea
    Options
    I just started running, too, and found a marathon training guide by Jeff Galloway. It's been super helpful; it's only been 2 weeks and I'm getting much faster. I'd just Google Jeff Galloway marathon training guide and that should take you to it. Good luck!
  • stephaniealexander
    Options
    I'm just starting out as a runner as well, what I did was went online to www.runnersworld.com and they gave me really good tips about running. I wish you the best of luck!
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I run 3x/week, never on consecutive days.

As for getting faster, it depends on who you ask. You can integrate any of the following and see if they help you:
    - trying to run negative splits
    - running sprints/intervals
    - running at the 10 min/mile pace for as long as you can (works best on a treadmill if you're not using a sport watch)
    - running hills
    - increasing the amount of time you're running each session
    - increasing the distance you run each session
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I started by running small distances a few times a week (3 or 4) with rest days, then I started upping the distance, then I started getting more regular. Now I pretty much run every day. I ran 15.9Km today, I struggles to run 5 back in December! As in lots of stop/start/walk ... now I have managed to get down to 8 minute miles! so about 12km/ hr or 7.5 mph!

It'll happen, be patient with it, invest in good APPROPRIATE footwear for your biomechanics, sort niggles out early, strengthen joints by doing strength/resistance training too and push yourself but don't break yourself! Adequate hydration required too! :)
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think every other day is the way to go and building endurance is the key as mentioned above. Do not worry about going faster it will come on it's own as you get stronger. Do not be afraid to use walk /run intervals as you progress to longer distance. Check out the Jeff Galloway books mentioned above he has some great programs to keep you going injury free.

As for the couch to 5K that is how a began running 5 years ago and I am thankful I found it but I like Galloway's plans better and find them more adaptable to current fitness levels.

Good Luck
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would definitely take it easy at first. See what your body is comfortable with and then make adjustments.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    The only way for a new runner to get faster is to build your endurance. Run at whatever pace you are comfortable at, but increase your distance.

Every other day is good way to start.

This is what I've been doing. Went from a 2km to 6km jog 8 months ago, then a 7km and 14km race, then my long runs have been increasing 1-2km a week since. I'm now on 20km long runs, still quite a slow pace but much faster than 4 months ago.
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One more thing to keep in mind is training and races are two different animals. Many new runners go out and train like they are in a race. You should train 10 to 20% slower than your best or race pace for most runs.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    One more thing to keep in mind is training and races are two different animals. Many new runners go out and train like they are in a race. You should train 10 to 20% slower than your best or race pace for most runs.

Good advice, I always keep reminding myself of this during my long runs... this is not a race.. this is not a race... As impatient as I am, I know the faster pace will come eventually.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think every other day is the way to go and building endurance is the key as mentioned above. Do not worry about going faster it will come on it's own as you get stronger. Do not be afraid to use walk /run intervals as you progress to longer distance. Check out the Jeff Galloway books mentioned above he has some great programs to keep you going injury free.

As for the couch to 5K that is how a began running 5 years ago and I am thankful I found it but I like Galloway's plans better and find them more adaptable to current fitness levels.

Good Luck

I agree with the above poster. here's Galloway's site talking about walk breaks. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion mixed with what I have read over the years regarding running.

You can run more than one day in a row... Just go by how your body feels. As you work up to a more experienced runner you will find yourself running multiple days in a row. Variate your speed will help. Having two to four days of shorter distances 2-5 miles with one or two days of longer distances 5 + Perhaps do some speed work to help you gain speed. I also will run on a treadmill for a bit at a certain speed so I can "feel" what it is like to run that fast. You could also go to a high school track to gauge your speed or use a running app on your phone to keep track as well. Also, if you want to get quicker find a running buddy or group that runs faster than you. If you push yourself then you will improve.

Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    This is what we teach at the Running Room.

Learning to Run is like building a house. You have a foundation, the walls and the roof. Every house needs a strong foundation and that is the base mileage that you do. It is your endurance running.

The walls are strength training... use this portion of training to make your legs, and core stronger. This includes things like running Hills.

As with any house, the roof is the last thing you put on... this is your speed training, intervals and speed drills. You can't put a roof on a house until the walls and foundation are built. Work on these first.

In all likelyhood, you will gain speed by building your base anyways. The more endurance you have, the easier it will be to run faster. Run more miles and work on your endurance and your speed will likely improve over time anyways.

I teach a 10 week course thru the Running Room, we don't normally touch on speed drills till week 7-8 and hills are usually about week 5. We stress the importance of your base mileage and long slow runs. Keep in mind also that you should only increase your mileage by about 10% per week to prevent injuries.

Cheers!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I am new to running or what I do is a slow jog right now. I am down to a 15 minute mile right now. Trying to get down to at least a 10 min mile. My question is when working up to running faster and longer how often should I be running? everyday or every other? I dont want to injure myself and have a major setback but want to move forward! I find that when I wait a day between I do really well the next time, but is that how you train?

In answer to some of your other questions;

1. You can run as often as your legs allow... if you are comfortable running 5 days a week, go for it, otherwise listen to your legs.
    2. A successful training program incorporates rest... think Stress -> Rest. Most of the programs I have seen recommend running no more than 5 days per week with rest days built in. I personally run 4 days per week, cross train 1 day a week and rest 2.
    3. Never increase your previous weeks mileage by 10% and throw in a fall back week for rest once a month (basically run a little less this week to allow recovery).
    4. If your legs feel the need to rest every other day... you can still build an incredible amount of endurance doing this. It is better that than getting an overusage injury like shin splints, ITBFS, etc Although I am repeating...Always listen to your body.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeff Makes tons of sense to me.