Need a bit of HELP. SMOKER. Need to Quit!!!!!!!!!

Options
When I started this journey five months ago, I was a non-smoker of about a month. I ended up quitting for about four months all together. Then I had a bit of stress and thought I could just smoke a bit and stop again. Of course, that didn't happen. I am now smoking again. BUT, I do badly want to stop again.

The biggest reason I want to quit is because of what I experience when working out. When I wasn't smoking I never felt it. Now I can't push myself nearly as much as when I wasn't smoking. Cardio makes my chest hurt and causes me to be winded in about five minutes. I was working out on my elliptical for at least 45 minutes straight and now I think that would kill me. There is no way I can go for 45 minutes being a smoker. All my workouts seem to feel so much harder now.

I know that I quit smoking once even though I never imagined I could. It was complete hell but I did it for four months! I know this time will be much harder and I need help to get through.

Basically, I need some motivation and realistic words to help me. I will be trying to stop starting tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone!!!!!!

Replies

• KristanElizabeth
    KristanElizabeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chantix
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    it sucks alot to try and quit, right now im doing the patches and they seem to helping with the cravings and my attutide, i found out all we can do is try different things, patches, gum, hypnothis, ect....till something works.
    BTW YOU JUST BE SMACKED WITH SOME WISDOM FROM YOUR GOD AWESOME....THOR
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have any first (or even second) hand experience, but have you thought about those electronic cigarettes? They even make some that blow "smoke." I think it's just water vapor.

Good luck! If it were me, I'd just think about my teeth getting yellow. That freaks me out.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    CHANTIX!!! Crazy dreams, but amazing product. I haven't touched a cigarette since! No cravings, nothing.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It only takes 3 days to get the Nicotine out of your body. From there, it's all about the "Habit" of smoking. Find other things to occupy your time and hands. I smoke since the age of 9 until December this year...quit cold turkey. Breaking the Routine Habit is the hardest part. If you WANT it, CHOOSE it, ACT it. You will conquer.

Do know...healing your lunngs takes time. But it will happen.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have any first (or even second) hand experience, but have you thought about those electronic cigarettes? They even make some that blow "smoke." I think it's just water vapor.

Good luck! If it were me, I'd just think about my teeth getting yellow. That freaks me out.

They are called "e-cigs" but everyone I know who has used them still smokes. They keep you addicted to nicotine as well as the addictive behaviour. Personally, when I quit I just went cold turkey. Just thought about how stupid it was that I was slowly killing myself for the sake of inhaling poisions that made me smell bad. If you are in the UK then you can get free help from your GP, but I dont know if there are similar schemes anywhere else.
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    My boyfriend is a long time smoker and is try to badly to quit. You need to get out of the ROUTINE of smoking. For example, I know many people enjoy a smoke with their coffee. If you drink coffee switch to tea and it might help you out. Also if you smoke in your house, start taking it out side, especially if you live somewhere where it is beginning to get cooler out, this will make you NOT want to go out for a smoke because you don't feel like freezing your tush off. Its so tough to quit smoking, but if you've done it before you can surely do it again! Good luck (:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It only takes 3 days to get the Nicotine out of your body. From there, it's all about the "Habit" of smoking. Find other things to occupy your time and hands. I smoke since the age of 9 until December this year...quit cold turkey. Breaking the Routine Habit is the hardest part. If you WANT it, CHOOSE it, ACT it. You will conquer.

Do know...healing your lunngs takes time. But it will happen.

Oh, and as for other products, like Chantix, your trading one dependancy for another. Eventually step off Chantix....but you can step off smoking earlier without putting crap into your body.
  • gorgeousgunner
    Options
    I stopped smoking two years ago by reading the Allen Carr book, would definitely recommend it.

You are not giving up or losing anything apart from a filthy habit, it is amazing to be smokefree so just remember one is never enough!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    you can do it.. I quit June 14 and never looked back, I am a person who can quit and pick it up too but normally when I am working out I never think of cigs. you just need to say you are worth it and you have proven all ready you can..Think of you and your health and the money you will save- all win, win.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 months ago, i didn't need Chantix (*although some people say it helps*), no patches... Nope, my secret, is timing. For me, when i woke up in the morning, i would wake up, a light a cigarette, i smoked for about 7 years prior. So what i did, was made a decision, that i was gonna stop, so what i did, I timed my pack out perfectly so when i had my cigarette before bed, it was the last in the pack i had.

The next morning when i woke up, I kept myself busy, trying not to think of smoking, which was rather difficult cause i life with 2 other smokers. But once i made it through day 1, i was fine, after that it was all mental. Dont get me wrong, there have been a couple occasions when i wanted a smoke.. but i know its for the best that i dont smoke. And i keep it that way, so whether you pick, Chantix, pathches, gums, hypnotherapy... or as i did, shear will power alone, its a long bumpy road and all you gotta do in hang on tight and hit the gas, cause you will get through it.
  • Cornwallis68
    Cornwallis68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-smokers/dp/1402771630/

Worked for me in '95, and my partner, and many many friends. You keep smoking as you read the book, and stop at the end.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking years ago, I tried EVERYTHING. I tried dumping an ashtray in a jar of water and smelling it whenever I wanted a cig. I tried gum, lollipops, etc. I tried a rubber band on my wrist, which i snapped when I wanted a cig. Nothing worked. Nothing. I was 'quitting smoking" for over 2 years.

Finally, I saw a movie (this is going to sound so strange) and it was called "Dead Again." In it, Robin Williams tells a quitting smoker "You either ARE a smoker or ARE NOT a smoker. Pick one. Be that." So, from that moment on, every single time I wanted a cigarrette, I simply would take 10+ deep, cleansing breathes and say, "I am not a smoker" over and over each time. I also avoided things like bars and other situations where I KNEW I would want a cigarrette and may not have the willpower to avoid. I've never had another cigarrette since.

Just in case you are wondering, I'm not a new age type person. I dont' believe in weird things. I'm a middle class, middle american and conservative. Try it. It can't hurt, can it?

Good luck!
  • sammeg01
    sammeg01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Quitting smoking is part of the reason I landed on MFP trying to lose weight. I put on like 15 pounds when I quit 2.5 years ago. I used the patches and found this awesome meter that keeps track of cigarettes not smoked, money saved, how many days of life saved... it was pretty helpfull to see those numbers go up. I still have it on my computer and check it from time to time. :) Here's the link: www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx well ok I don't know how to make it a link, but just incase you want to check it out.... Good luck in both journeys you are on!!! You rock!!!! :)
  • WendyWeighsIn
    WendyWeighsIn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you to have a plan. I smoked for over 26 years, 1 pack per day. I have been smoke-free for 6 years now. It is the hardest thing I ever did-but the best thing. It is a choice I must make daily. I choose NOT to smoke. I have met so many people who quit in many different ways. There is no right or wrong way. Some people I know used chantix but had side effects. I did the laser. Others quit cold turkey. Find whats right for you. I do know that the need to want to quit must be greater than the need to smoke. That being said, I wish you luck. Please feel free to send me a message, please post and let us know how you are doing!!! If you need a kick in the "butt" I am sure there are plenty of us who can help!!! So....When is your quit date???
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Hi, being an ex-smoker of more years than I care to remember and being on a 35-40 a day habit, I know how frightening it is to give up but the worst part is the thought of giving up. I used the electronic cigarettes and unlike what others have said I haven't had a cigarette in over a year now and never felt so good, being able to breathe is definitely a bonus in life!!
    I used totally wicked an online firm but there are many firms who sell them and the one I bought was a Titan 510, it was brilliant and really took the edge off the cravings. As far as I'm concerned use whatever it takes to get you off them, be it patches, hypno, spray, tablest or e-cigs anything has to be better than the real thing.
    Good luck with your quest for non-smoking, you can do it, go for it!
  • subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sept. 30 2011 was my 1 year anniversary being smoke free. I used the patch, but not exactly as prescribed. I started on step 2, and used it for 2 weeks. One day, I just said enough is enough. Took the patch off and haven't looked back. I was ready to quit.

You have to "really" be ready to quit. Many people say they're ready when they're not. There's not one single benefit to lighting that next cigarette. There's countless benefits to not lighting it!
  • GotGamble68
    GotGamble68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If it is motivation you need just stop and think about what your life would be life if you had to live with lung cancer, or emphysema. If you think it's tough wading through a workout as a smoker, just imagine what it would be like to be awake and have advanced emphysema . Every breath you take, all day long is an effort and painful. And I think the only real treatment for lung cancer is death and it is a mercy when it comes to those who have it.

I smoked for 20+ years and I did aversion therapy just over a year ago and haven't had so much as a puff from a cigarette since and have no urge to smoke anymore. Get yourself a small jar with a nice airtight seal on the cap and go buy a pack of smokes. Light up as normal, put the butts in the jar, add some water and seal the lid. Every time you want to have a smoke, you have to open the jar, take 5 deep whiffs from the jar of festering death then feel free to light up. Repeat as often as necessary, I couldn't finish a single pack.

I couldn't even handle nicotine gum and you can't chew the patch so I said screw it. The sensation of nicotine in my mount made my body recoil so I just suffered through 3-4 days of withdrawal after my last smoke went into the jar. Looking back I think the secret for me quitting was that I ended it completely instead of weening myself off it with a nicotine crutch. I simply told myself - never again.

Your mileage may vary.

p.s. sorry to be so negative about it but it seems to me that you are putting a lot of effort into living healthier through working out, why would you sabotage your efforts? you don't finish a workout and sit down and eat half a chocolate cake and a pound of bacon do you?

Good luck!
  • Kiimb55
    Kiimb55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey ma, you can do it. I stopped smoking last month preparing for Insanity right, a couple of weeks prior starting. And it ain't or wasn't easy. Trust me I smoked ok, and you know I knew I wanted to kick that habit bad, some day soon. A new body and mind was the ultimate goal and mission. I thought I was gonna rip someone's head off goin cold turkey but I really think it was the help of the whole Insanity experience that helped out. You know and I haven't missed it, I smell it n it stinks. When I think about a smoke, I do push up or something for my abs becuz that works for me, u know. Just find that drive that motivated you b4. But like Cd said, think about ur teeth being yellow or not being fully able to live out ur later years, u kno... Good luck.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    What about enstating a "no smoking" rule in the house? I can't smoke inside the house (student housing) so I find myself sometimes going days without a cig because it's raining outside or involves putting on shoes (hahaha)
    I do tend to get really bad cravings sometimes and to be honest I also indulge them. I think I smoke about 10 cigarettes a fortnight without stress. WITH stress (or alcohol) it's a lot higher ):