Dating Attire?

Options
kimi131
kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
For my MFP friends who follow my posts regularly (and therefore pretty much know my life story since I'm an open book), this post will probably throw you for a loop. Sorry! It's a long story that I'm not quite ready to share because I don't quite know the "end" yet, but I promise to share when I know.

For everyone else, let me jump right into my dilemma.

I believe I'm about to be entering the dating world again. I haven't been in the dating world in a while, and even when I did the whole dating game in the past, I'm not sure I was very good at it. I tend to be very nervous on a first date, and I'm always quiet anyway. It takes me really getting to know a person to be able to be myself around them.

Anyway, with this dating thing comes the question... what to wear?? I have only two outfits that come ti mind when I think of dating attire. One is a dress. It's cute, but it feels over the top for some more casual dates. Here's the dress (note, this is an old pic. Not sure if I'm heavier or thinner here than I am now, I think I was heavier. This is also before I had eye surgery): 100_1425.jpg
The other "date attire" is my blue jean skirt which I absolutely love and recently just got back into for the first time in years. It would be perfect EXCEPT I'm wearing this skirt in my... umm... dating profile (yes, I do the online dating thing too :wink: ) I don't want it to look like I only have one outfit. IMG_1093.jpgIMG_1056.jpg (These are very recent pictures :smile: ).

So... what is cute for a first date and follow-up dates without being over-the-top or underdressed? I want to attract the opposite sex without making it too obvious that I'm trying to attract the opposite sex :wink: . I also don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on a brand-new wardrobe since I'm losing weight anyway. And, while we're on the topic, I would also welcome any suggestions for making myself relax on a date so that my quietness/shyness doesn't run the boys off.

Replies

• cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have 4 jean skirts and my boyfriend can't tell which is which on a good day. I'd wear the skirt unless you feel more comfortable in the dress! There's nothing worse than having to fidget with clothing while you're trying to focus on conversation.

Also, it depends on where you guys are going. If it's a walk in the park or picnic, go for jeans and a cute top.

If it's restaurant/movie/coffee, skirt or dress.

If you are going to be outside for the majority of the time, I'd go for the skirt then too. A good breeze always makes me want to hold a flowy dress like the one you have in the picture down.

As for the jitters, straight up tell him you're nervous. That always makes me feel better and it's something you can both giggle about.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Lovely PIctures of you!!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Everyone is nervous on the first date, so will he!!! Wear what feels more comfortable, and it doesn't matter if it is the same thing as on your profile pic, either it will make you easier to recognise or he won't notice, either way is a win!

Good luck.

GG
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Go for comfort, not comfy - you want to feel confident, and beautiful, which you are by the way - and THAT is what will help calm your nerves. As for attire, TJ Maxx and Marshalls and Ross can get you dressed head to toe for pretty reasonable, and if you get a fun new outfit it will help your confidence. I only shop sales, and only get articles that I LOVE. If its not something I can't wait to wear, it does not come home with me!

The book The Rules is pretty fantastic also for help with dating confidence. Its A LITTLE over the top but its got ALOT of very good truths in it and I will not deny that it helped me to snag a REAL catch with my hubby :-)

Remember dating is supposed to be FUN even if its Scary at first, the more you do the better you'll do at it. Get out there and have a GREAT time!!

good luck!!!!!
  • djenna8girl
    djenna8girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever makes you feel good - be it confident, beautiful or relaxed. If you're feeling it, you'll be looking it.

Unfortunately the same goes for any outfit that makes you feel bad, eg. self concious/daggy/frumpy etc :(

Just remember: YOU have to love what your wearing, no matter what.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I often wear the dress in my profile pic (and it's my profile pic on okc too lol). I'd rather be overdressed than under and it's not really that formal. If I do feel it's too formal, my next go to outfit is a flattering dark pair of jeans with a long sleeve top that I love. It's super flattering and sexy but still doesn't show too much. A little Spanx never hurt anyone either lol (guilty- the other night I felt like my love handles were a little too prominent!)

IMO I like the dress better but I'm not a fan of jean skirts.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the second outfit~ <3 You look sooo cute :D

I am really bad at this too, but I think the second outfit is amazing! >_<
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimi!

I like the second outfit! It looks great on you! If you feel more comfortable in jeans or other trousers, so wear them! I personally prefer to wear jeans/trousers! But just wear the clothes you feel comfortable in.

Don't worry about the date! I'm sure he'll be nervous too! In the end it will be a great date!

Good luck and enjoy the date!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'd pair the denim skirt with a cute, semi-snug black t-shirt and a long, dangly necklace. And then a pair of those strappy sandals or a cute pair of flats!

I realize that wasn't in your list of options, but I recently started dating again, too-- I met my boyfriend online!-- and thought I'd offer up my 2 cents.