Soda addiction

Options
I have an issue of sorts. I am addicted to Coca Cola. I have been drinking it since I was 2 years old. I don't think I could ever give it up. Is it possible for me to lose weight and still have my sodas?

Replies

• ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First step would be to change to diet soda...then try and cut it out. Loads of sugar etc...empty calories :(
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Probably; but you really should consider drinking less or none at all. I was in the same boat as you. I was addicted to Diet Coke -- I probably drank 3 or 4 cans/bottles a day. I gave it up cold turkey in March and haven't had any pop since. On the RARE occasion, I will drink a Sprite but that might happen once every couple months. Believe me, YOU CAN DO IT! :bigsmile:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Have you tried alternatives? A splash of cranberry juice in soda water...?
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    OF COURSE!! Limit yourself to one a day!! It will cut into your "good" calories, but where theres a will, theres a way!

Carbonated water is what curbed me off of soda. And that was a long time ago
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try to enjoy your soda in moderation. Switching to diet won't benefit you if you end up drinking a lot more of it.
  • khaggstrom
    Options
    possible probally if u switch to diet, but that carbanation is making you bloated... I quit mountain dew cold turkey ( on the 3rd try) about 2 months ago.. it was 3 days of headaches from hell, but now i crave my flavored water (propel zero, no cal, no sugar, and no carbination) it feels great!! you can do it!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love that stuff too!!!! Coca-Cola is my FAVORITE!!! And --- I just can't seem to drink diet. Cherry Coke Zero isn't too bad; it is the only one that I find halfway decent.

How much do you drink?

First of all, I don't keep it in the house. When I do buy it, I buy a 20oz instead of a 2 liter. I know it is not cost effective, but if there is a 2 liter in the refrigerator, I will drink it. I think you still can lose weight, but you will have to train yourself to drink 6-8 oz per day and that is IT! Just enough to have a taste. I drink it slowly so that I can savor the flavor.

If you drink more than that, I don't think you will lose. It is high calorie and high sugar/carbs. It is almost impossible to not go over your carb goals when you drink this stuff.

Good luck!
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey yeah. When I was in college I drank 3-4 2liters of coke a day. After graduating, I ended up in a place where the coca-cola was free so I drank around 15 cans daily for 10+ years. Switching to diet coke was hard, damn hard. It tasted terrible, It didn't give the right lift, etc. etc. Still, it took me 6 months or so to get back to 10 cans a day --but I lost 40lbs in the process. Now, 3 years later, I decided to ween myself off of it. { I slowed down by setting my timer and bringing a set number of cans per day to consume when the alarm sounded; It seemed to make it more real when I had to pay for it.} So far, I am down to about 1 can a day. It's very hard. You will get headaches. You will get jitters. You will become awesome to live with (:P). But it will work. Just be careful you don't substitute eating for the energy lift. I did and gained 25 lbs back. But you can do it.
  • Alice230
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try. We don't keep it in the house anymore. My parents buy diet A&W rootbeer. I don't like it as much and I get cravings for the Coca-Cola. I think that might be why I have been getting headaches.. I want to switch to some other kind of soda because I am not liking the A&W to much anymore.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Coke Zero? I think it tastes pretty similar to real Coke.
  • mea9
    Options
    Did you know Coke is bright green before they colour it? Poison green. Stopped me from ever wanting it again.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I switched to diet coke about 6 years ago, I had to force myself to drink it I hated the taste so bad. It took about 4-6 weeks but now diet tastes so much better. It is like drinking candy. Coke Zero tastes almost exactly like regular coke but I prefer diet coke. I drink a lot of diet coke and have the last 6 years. I had no problems dropping over 70 pounds while consuming large amounts of diet coke. I have no intentions of giving it up, I enjoy it too much and doesn't hinder my weight loss.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    In the evenings I drink a 32 oz. bottle of flavored sparkling (carbonated) water. This replaces the diet pop and other junk I used to consume. Zero calories, zero fat, zero sugar, 15 mg sodium per 8 oz. serving. It may not be the "pure" stuff that runs from my tap, but it's way more palatable to me and does not make me feel bloated. Kroger sells their brand for 60 cents and it comes in a variety of flavors. Mixed berry and grape are my favorites.

For purists out there, this is probably poison to you, but I do drink "regular" water as well (ugh), and don't drink tea, coffee, wine, other alcoholic beverages or fruit juice. It's certainly better than the 3-5 cans of diet pop I used of swill each day.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just quit the soda addiction. From about six cans of pepsi or more a day. The diet stuff actually makes me crave carbs, so switching was pretty pointless. The pepsi cut into my available calories. I don't want to drink any calories. For me it was the caffiene. I switched to hydroxycut, green tea and water. First few days werent that great, but I feel wonderful now. You can do it!
  • greenemoe
    greenemoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was just like you. I used to drink several glasses of soda every day. I too was addicted since a very early age. I have tried to lose weight a couple of times in the past, but never decided to give up soda until 2/11. It was very hard to do but I did it cold turkey. I have had on occasion cranberry splash ginger ale. When I try to drink Pepsi or Coca Cola it tastes like pure sugar, so it turns me off and I can't drink it. What I did initially was drink 100% real juice such as apple juice and dilute it with water until I didn't have to drink any juice at all. Also, I was the one who never could drink or even tolerate water. But now it is my bestie. By giving up the soda you lose more weight and your stomach gets flatter in my opinion. If I can't drink the real thing that is soda I wouldn't even bother with the diet soda because they are just as bad.

Good Luck!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    its going to be difficult to lose weight if you're drinking regular soda...especially more than one can a day. and there is research that diet sodas may actually hinder weight loss, even though they have no calories. anyway, it is possible to step away from soda. you'll have some withdrawal symptoms for a few days, but once you switch from soda to water, your body will adjust relatively quickly and you won't miss the crap.
  • abradbeary
    abradbeary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least one liter of diet mountain dew every single day. Then I had two strokes and the doctors told me that I had to severly limit my caffine consumption and stay hydrated. Since I am also a college student, I sometimes need coffee late at night to study for exams, so I rarely get to enjoy my diet mountain dew. Now I drink crystal light, and flavored water (like MIO and sobe no calorie water). These are very flavorfull, and come in many options if you want to switch it up because sometimes I get bored with the same thing. I rarely drink actuall water because I think that it tastes like nothing and my doctors says that you can stay just as hydrated from these drinks because many of them contain very little other ingrediants such as sodium and pottasium, etc.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Did you know Coke is bright green before they colour it? Poison green. Stopped me from ever wanting it again.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/green.asp
  • mea9
    Options

I'm not saying they sold it green but it is my understanding that it is green before they add the "rich brown" caramel colour to "hide impurities". Yum:sick:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

I'm not saying they sold it green but it is my understanding that it is green before they add the "rich brown" caramel colour to "hide impurities". Yum:sick:

Still a false rumor. Most likely started because it used to be sold in green bottles.