Gastric sleeve vs. bypass, vs, lap band?

Options
Has anyone had the gastric sleeve procedure done? My doctor outright said to me she wants me to do Gastric bypass. Um, yeah she's not the best doctor and I'm currently trying to find a new one. Every time I go in there, no matter what it's for, she harps on me about my weight. 2 weeks ago I went in for a sinus infection and she spent most of the visit reprimanding me about my weight! That was also the visit she brought up GB.

Now I'm not totally against it, but it does scare me. I know I'm a candidate for either that or Lap band. I have read a little about the Gastric sleeve and it seems a tad bit less invasive then the original gastric bypass.

So, who has been through any of the procedures? Do you regret it? Did it work for you? Any issues?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    bump - I'd Like to see the answers to this
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    can I ask why your doctor wants you to do that instead of working with you to change your eating habits and get your body moving in a healthy way?
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    Probably because I've already tried dieting, exercise and even Phentermine. She's done a zillion blood tests and all of my blood work always comes back perfect/negative. So really it's the last resort and I don't think I'm going to jump on it, but it's an option. I'm 5 feet tall and 100 pounds overweight and although I am healthy at the moment (aside from being obese) I am 33 years old and would like to see my kids grow up, etc.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks out from having the gastric sleeve. I couldnt be happier. Granted some might think this is taking the "easy way out", but they dont always realize all the implications. I chose the sleeve because I didnt want to deal with the dumping syndrome, or the whole rearranging of my insides. I couldnt be happier with my decision. I do know that you can do some research on obesityhelp.com. That is where I did alot of my homework. Your choice is a personal one and make it for you, not based on what others say.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I guess I misunderstand what those surgeries do. I understood that they shrink your stomach so you eat less. SO if dieting and working out hasn't worked.. why would this?
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have someone on my friend list that seems to be well versed in weight loss surgery. Of anyone I have met, or come across on the forums, she seems to have really done her homework. If you would like to shoot her a pm or friend request, i'll send you her mfp link

Best wishes to you
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Imagine that. Some doctor somewhere counseling somebody about weight--what's this world coming to? It must have been a young doctor, the kind of doctor with a mindset on changing America, because most doctors would have simply thrown a pamphlet at you, and wrote you a prescription. Don't hate your doctor for taking his or her precious time to counsel you about your weight. I wish more of them took that opportunity.

My cousin had the lap band procedure, and it helped her.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    my cousin got the lap band and lost 100lbs...it really helped her because it forced her to change her eating habits, if not she would throw up or feel really sick.

It forces you to change your eating habits.

If you don't, you will stretch it out and gain back all the weight.

Keep this in mind when making a decision, this is not a miracle for weight loss, weight loss is damn hard work and a big commitment.

You can achieve your goals when you set your mind to it!
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    Imagine that. Some doctor somewhere counseling somebody about weight--what's this world coming to? It must have been a young doctor, the kind of doctor with a mindset on changing America, because most doctors would have simply thrown a pamphlet at you, and wrote you a prescription. Don't hate your doctor for taking his or her precious time to counsel you about your weight. I wish more of them took that opportunity.

I don't hate her for trying to help me. I'm frustrated because every single time I go to her, all she focuses on is my weight. If I go in there for a sinus infection, or injured shoulder, or whatever, I expect to be treated for that FIRST. Then if there is time and she wants to b*tch at me, fine, whatever. However, literally every time I go in there she barely pays any attention to why I'm there in the first place. 2 weeks ago when I went in she kept trying to say my problems are weight related. I'm sorry, but first of all I have NOT been this heavy my whole life. Up until about 7 years ago I was never even overweight. I really don't think my weight has anything to do with a sinus infection or a shoulder injury (2 things which I have seen her for and have pretty much been dismissed over.)
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I think the first part of your response was completely useless.

Anyway! Back to topic, a friend of mine had gastric bypass. He lost a LOT of weight, but it has been about 7-8 years and he has gained it ALL back and then some. I honestly think it is a bad idea unless you are completely and totally committed.
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    I have someone on my friend list that seems to be well versed in weight loss surgery. Of anyone I have met, or come across on the forums, she seems to have really done her homework. If you would like to shoot her a pm or friend request, i'll send you her mfp link

Best wishes to you

I got your message..Thanks :)
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    Bump
  • Aprl0121
    Aprl0121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess I misunderstand what those surgeries do. I understood that they shrink your stomach so you eat less. SO if dieting and working out hasn't worked.. why would this?

They make your stomach smaller, but with the sleeve the part of the stomach that makes the hunger hormone (ghrelin) is literally cut off. In the gastric bypass the nerves are cut so the hormone isn't secreted for a while (many months) so you don't feel hunger. Also, your stomach is physically only able to hold about 2-3 oz of food and if you eat more than that you get really sick and/or have lots of pain. Does that help? :)
  • BarbaraG97
    Options
    FWIW, I have had lap-band surgery. It took me 2 full years of research and talking to others who had had any kind of weight loss surgery. I also spoke to my gastroenterologist who has treated patients years after their surgeries.

I have struggled with my weight ever since my 1st child was born - over 31 years ago. I found it a challenge to loose weight but keeping it off was the most difficult part. I was always hungry. Both emotional 'head hunger' and physical hunger. I got help for the head/emotional hunger but nothing worked for the physical hunger, long term. The Lap Band has successfully changed that.

I chose lap band for the following reasons (after MUCH research)
    1) Minimally invasive surgery - recovery is much faster than other surgeries. I have 5 small scars on my belly.
    2) It is totally reversible. If you get sick (cancer, severe flu, etc.) or pregnant, and need to be able to absorb food better, you have a full stomach and the saline solution used in the band can be removed to encourage this. My gastroenterologist was VERY vocal about this. He was very anti Gastric bypass or sleeve as they are not reversible and he had been treating patients that he couldn't help when they got sick because of it.
    3) Some of the very things others don't like about the lap band, I LOVE because they keep me 'honest'. For example, if you eat too fast or don't chew thoroughly, you'll get "stuck" and it's pretty uncomfortable (and yes, you can wind up vomiting). I eat like a 'lady' now! LOL!
    4) Weight loss is much slower than Gastric Bypass - but MUCH healthier for you. There are no real short cuts. You still must choose to eat properly but the advantage is it slows you down and you are satisfied with much less food.

There is a learning curve to it, and it takes time to get just the right amount of saline solution for optimal effect, but it is soooo worth it. I will have my 3 month anniversary on the 21st of this month. I feel great and no longer think about food all the time. In fact, I have to remember to eat! For real!

BTW - ALL my friends who had gastric bypass have gained all their weight back and all but one regret having the surgery. One is looking into getting 'banded' as well, something her insurance co. is not happy with but her Doc is trying to work with them.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about my experience.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I am 5 years out from RnY gastric bypass. You can see my blog for my story. My advice is to do your research, go to a information session at a Bariatric Center of Excellence, and then make a decision. Surgery was right for me, but it is not right for everyone.
  • cownancy
    Options
    As Beach Bum Gurl said, you need to find a Bariatric Center of Excellence and find a doctor that you like before anything else. It's SOOOO important! The doctor is going to consult with you several times and can determine from there which procedure should help you the most. It really depends on the kind of eating you do and some of your habits, plus your health.

I got my band on 10/1/2011, but had a large hernia repaired at the same time, so I didn't have any saline in my band until January. Then, I started at the fill most people get for the first six to eight weeks of their surgery, so it wasn't until about April when we started getting close to the "sweet spot" or "green zone" where the band was actually doing something for me. THEN, my otologist decided I needed a radical mastoidectomy and I had the saline out again for June and July while I underwent surgery again for my ear. Mid-August, the saline was replaced and last week, I think we hit "the spot". Despite all of that, which was NOT AT ALL the fault of the band, but my other health issues, I have lost 54 pounds thus far with extended periods of total inactivity.

Attend several informational meetings and do your research. Go to their associated support group meetings and talk to the patients about their experiences and if you find someone who you hit it off with in the group, see if you can exchange emails or phone numbers to speak with them privately, so you can ask all of the nitty gritty about the offfice.

I my doctors office, we pay a one time program fee of $250. That includes the price of the psychiatric evaluation and nutritional counseling "forever". We have support groups (free) several times a month and regardless of your insurance plan, when you see the doctor, you pay a $15 co-pay. I see the nutritionist every 4-6 weeks because I have had such horrible eating habits my entire life that I am making changes slowly. I bring in my log pages from MFP and they analyze them.

I say this to everyone here on MFP, and tonight it was actually the topic at the support group meeting......IF a person has not, PERSONALLY, have not seen the doctors, attended the meetings, seen the video tapes, etc., disregard what they have to say about the operation, even if it is their spouse, mother, daughter, friend, co-worker, etc. ONLY listen to fully informed opinions from the patients themselves. There is so much misunderstanding and miscommunication out there about these surgeries and they all work differently.

I can tell you that the lapband is the simplest and least risky of the three and it also takes the hardest work from the patient. You lose weight slower, too, but as others have said, I actually like that. A thin band with a saline pocket is placed around your esophagus right where it enters your stomach and from the band there is a small tube that ends in a small "port" into which saline can be filled or removed. The port is sutured into your abdominal area on the left side. The idea is that the food you eat will remain in an area where the nerves that communicate the feeling of fullness to your brain, so that you can eat a small amount and be satisfied. In addition, but restricting the opening into your stomach, you must eat slowing and chew thoroughly or you will get "stuck", which can be an unpleasant feeling.

The surgery is about an hour or so and you are only in the hospital overnight. After the surgery, you are x-rayed to make sure the band is in the correct position.

Wish I could give you this much information about the sleeve, but, truthfully, only one person in our group of several thousand people have had the sleeve so far. If you want more detail, email me, I can talk about it for hours. There are also several topics in my blog about my experiences with the band.

Good luck to you. Tonight, when each post-surgery patient was talking to the pre-surgery candidates, the most frequent comment was, "I lose xxxx pounds and it changed my life." I feel the same way. I feel like I have an entire team helping me now and the "tool" helps me.
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't hate her for trying to help me. I'm frustrated because every single time I go to her, all she focuses on is my weight. If I go in there for a sinus infection, or injured shoulder, or whatever, I expect to be treated for that FIRST. Then if there is time and she wants to b*tch at me, fine, whatever. However, literally every time I go in there she barely pays any attention to why I'm there in the first place. 2 weeks ago when I went in she kept trying to say my problems are weight related. I'm sorry, but first of all I have NOT been this heavy my whole life. Up until about 7 years ago I was never even overweight. I really don't think my weight has anything to do with a sinus infection or a shoulder injury (2 things which I have seen her for and have pretty much been dismissed over.)
    [/quote]

....end quote....

And this is why I love my doctor. He has the back bone to talk to me about my weight but he does it AFTER treating my health issues. And I think because I can tell he sees me as a human being who is out there swinging, I am willing to listen to his information. We trust each other's judgements.

I completely agree that a doctor who puts every off to being a reason to hammer you about your weight isn't being a good doctor. Right now I am working very hard to get 75 pounds off so I can have a TKR next year. I'm 45 pound into that 75. And I think a big part of why I working on this instead of just throwing in the towel is because my doctor believes it's possible. It makes a difference.