spaghetti squash

Options
jec228
jec228 Posts: 67 Member
i just lugged my first one home from the store... now what do i do with it?

any recipies or tips for cooking? TIA !

Replies

• Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    That is my fav place to learn new foods. I appreciate that it has the nutri info.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Love Spaghetti Squash. They are easy to make. Cut in half long way, scoop out the seeds. Put cut side down in a baking dish add a little water in the dish, cook in the microwave until you can poke it with a fork and easily scoop out the insides. It will come out in strands like spaghetti.

You can eat it plain with some butter, salt and pepper or I like to make it like lasagna and bake in the oven for a bit. You can add meat, sauce, cheese or whatever lasagna type ingredients you wish. It is so yummy!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I had some last night. I just put the same spaghetti sauce that everyone else had over pasta.. I do microwave mine, it makes it faster.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    are you from the uk? if so where on earth did you find it?!?
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just cut it right down the middle, get rid of the seeds that I can and place it on a non-stick or PAM sprayed baking sheet, 45 minutes at 375°F. When its done give it a good 10-20 minutes to cool (its mostly water like a potato! OUCH!). Then take a fork and scoop out the initial layer (I usually get rid of this gooey part). Then it will start stringing off like spaghetti! Its really cool. One squash usually yields 4 cups of spaghetti (from what I've measured) and its ridiculously low calorie. I typically buy cheap spaghetti sauce for real spaghetti, but the key to spaghetti squash is to 'disguise' it with a delicious/name brand sauce (I prefer red sauce with it, not cheese).

Actually, I find that usually the salad I make to go with this meal has more calories than the squash!
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i live in boston, ma - it was the last one in the grocery store so must be popular...!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i live in boston, ma - it was the last one in the grocery store so must be popular...!

Arrggghhh gutted!! I can't get it in the uk for love nor money!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just cooked one last night, then I portion and freeze it to have with my meatsauce. I cut it in two, take out the seeds etc., sprinkle with garlic and pepper, place upside down in a pan and bake it until it forks easily from the sides.
    It's fantastic with meatsauce n so lower in cal instead of using pasta.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    are you from the uk? if so where on earth did you find it?!?

DITTO! i can't find it anywhere!!
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For the two UK ladies, take a look at this post. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/345511-uk-users-spaghetti-squash
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

I second that! We had spaghetti squash for the first time last week and used Gina's spaghetti squash lasagna recipe. We liked it so much that we're having spaghetti squash again tonight!
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

I second that! We had spaghetti squash for the first time last week and used Gina's spaghetti squash lasagna recipe. We liked it so much that we're having spaghetti squash again tonight!

I made a modified version of that recipe this weekend, and just had some left-overs for lunch today. I added ground turkey to make it higher in protien. It was yummy!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I've been really lucky buying it here. The farm down the road sells them. I usually walk down there with my dog and buy a bunch of fresh produce. The squash were 2 for a dollar!