Water

Options
2»

Replies

• theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I know this is a long shot, but any comment could help....

I used to use PLJ (pure lemon juice). It's quite refreshing .....without added sugars.

As a diabetic, I hate the aftertaste of most diet drinks.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Caffeine does dehydrate you. I have taken plenty of nutrition classes to know.

funny-gifs-and-headdesk.gif

So there is no-one at all out there who only drink coffee, and lots of it? Doesn't that in itself PROVE it's not dehydrating?
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like sparkling water and also crystal light. I also never used to drink water but now I drink up to 12 cups a day. I have to have mine super cold though.
  • feevis2011
    Options
    I will try and have at least 1-2 glasses of pure water a day lol but i honestly hate it, i just sipped half a glass n then quickly drank the rest then decided to ask the question

Everybody has a different answer LOL now what?? lol
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options

So there is no-one at all out there who only drink coffee, and lots of it? Doesn't that in itself PROVE it's not dehydrating?

I am finding this thread quite unsettling.

Apparently i should have died around 10 years ago.
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    just try a lemon and see how you go x
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The solution to your question is "Mio".. can be found in any walmart or other store like it. It is a no calorie additive that adds amazing flavor to your drinks! I mean it tastes amazing.. anyone who I have ever suggested it to has always loved it. Try it out and let me know what you think.. comes in many different flavors.

Careful with that stuff...have you read the ingredients? It contains propylene glycol.....antifreeze! Granted, you really only add a few drops, but I would use with caution.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you drink? If so have you ever done the binge drinking scene?

Treat water the same way: chug it for the effects it'll have on you later, not for the taste.

The more you drink it the easier it gets, and after a while those things you really liked will start to taste funny (at least that's the way it worked for me).

Except for alcohol, booze is still just as delicious to me now as it was before I started dieting.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

I am finding this thread quite unsettling.

Apparently i should have died around 10 years ago.

Likewise. If i believed the myth I'd be thinking "Hmm...i should be dead, since i never drink water, and only drink tea"...

There's nothing WRONG with drinking 8 cups of pure water a day. But in terms of hydration, for 99.9% of us, its simply overkill.
  • kbcakes
    kbcakes Posts: 84
    Options
    Like you, I really do not like the taste of water. Plus, I never really seem to feel thirsty, so there are some days when I realize that I haven't had a single thing to drink all day. However, when I do remember to get in 8 cups of water per day, and keep at it, I seem to lose more weight. If I don't drink, I stay the same, or put weight back on! Talk about incentive to drink!!!

So, to get me to drink more water, I used to put a splash of lemon juice in with it. But that didn't work when I was away from home. I found a great series of products that are crystalized. They can be found at a number of stores usually in the baking goods aisle, or with the powdered drink mixes. Here is a link to their website: http://www.truelemon.com/

I started with the Lemon, but I really like the Lime better now! The lemon and lime are made from the real fruit and have 0 calories, and 0 added sugars. Since they come in individual packets, they can go with you anywhere! They also have Orange, Grapefruit, Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade. The Grapefruit is unsweetened, but the Orange, Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade all have Stevia as a sweetener.

As an added benefit, the Lemon and Lime can also be used in place of fresh juice in recipies! A definite win-win proposition! Go to the website and you can locate where to buy them in your area. But if they don't sell it near you, they can be ordered on-line. Check it out, and I hope it helps you drink more water!
  • feevis2011
    Options
    I dont touch alcohol now, my taste has changed for it over the years lol
  • feevis2011
    Options
    after reading all the replys i think im honestly now even more confused lol
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The alcohol quip was more a joke than anything. The main point I was trying to make was just drink it since it's good for you.

As you can see, plenty of people don't drink straight water and are fine. I do think that drinking pure water is better you than drinking it as coffee or diet soda or fruit juice.

Important enough that you'll die or gain 5,000 lbs if you don't drink pure water? No, of course not. But I don't think anyone will argue that in terms of hydration, pure water is better for you than any of the other options. Also for the dehydration quips. Alcohol is the only one I know of that's negative. The quote I heard was for every 5 beers you drink, you relieve 6 beers worth of hydration. Don't know how accurate that is, but it's a rough number that I go by. I would argue that the coffee and such that people are claiming have diuretic effects don't cause you to lose more hydration than you take in, but just give you a smaller net positive than pure water. No science behind it, just seems logical to me.

Go with what you can do, and gauge the results. If it works great, if it doesn't try something new. Don't listen to us 'experts' who probably should be working right now but are slacking and posting on forums instead ;)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself onto it.. by started with adding fruit squash and gradually adding less and less and also drinking it in middle of meals so still and taste of food in my mouth.. some people don't recommend this but it worked for me and I'm now able to drink water on it own.

Also try different bottled ones some may have a better taste than others.. I also started with Volvic lemon and lime (non fizzy) and I'd get two cups... one of that and one plain water and drink the plain inbetween sips of the other. I have a couple of waters then something else like a cup of tea then few more waters.
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    I found it helps if water is the only option available. At home I make sure there isn't any soda in the house. When I'm in my car I used to always have a can or bottle of soda in the cup holder now I put an insulated container of cold water there. If I get thirsty I take just a couple of sips. After a while I found myself wanting more and more of the water.

I'm also a cheapskate so I decided to order water ( usually with a slice of lemon) when I eat out. I keep track of the money I save and occasionally reward myself with something special with the extra money.

Do I love water. No, not yet but I'm getting there. I still have a cup of coffee (decaff) every morning and occasionally a soda or tea.

Not sure if this will help but just a couple of tips I have tried.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The 8 cups of water a day thing is a complete myth. You obviously need enough water to keep hydrated, but the amount needed by each individual varies, and it doesn't matter where that water comes from. Your body doesn't care whether there is a little bit of juice or coffee or tea mixed in with the water, it just wants the H20. It doesn't care what comes with it, it just needs the water. It'll absorb the water, and forget about everything else. Eating juicy fruit will give you a decent amount of water. Even soup or other water based foods will help you along your way. Certain things like caffeine can be a slight diuretic (i.e. they make you pee) - but the amount of water far outweighs the amount of caffeine in even the strongest caffeinated drink, so there is no need to worry about it.

As for quantity, as I said, it varies per person. If your urine is a pale yellow colour, you're drinking enough and you don't need to worry about it. If it's a darker, you need to drink more fluid - but as I've already said, it doesn't have to be pure water. Drink whatever you like. As you drink more, you'll notice the colour of your urine change, which is just proof that it is doing it's job and it doesn't need to be pure water.
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The 8 cups of water a day thing is a complete myth. You obviously need enough water to keep hydrated, but the amount needed by each individual varies, and it doesn't matter where that water comes from.

I am not sure I would call it a myth. 8 cups of water per day certainly is not going to do anyone harm and some people depending on their enviorment and exercise habits will require even more than 8 cups per day. As for the source yes I agree you can get water from many sources including coffee, tea, soups, fruits and veggies. But earlier when someone suggests using diet soda as a source of hydration I think you need to consider what else you are getting with that source of water.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    The 8 cups of water a day thing is a complete myth. You obviously need enough water to keep hydrated, but the amount needed by each individual varies, and it doesn't matter where that water comes from.

I am not sure I would call it a myth. 8 cups of water per day certainly is not going to do anyone harm and some people depending on their enviorment and exercise habits will require even more than 8 cups per day. As for the source yes I agree you can get water from many sources including coffee, tea, soups, fruits and veggies. But earlier when someone suggests using diet soda as a source of hydration I think you need to consider what else you are getting with that source of water.

The 8 cups is a "global average". Ofc if you work out you'll need more. Diet soda will give you the hydration you need, and ofc you need to account for the calories, but this thread was about water and hydration :)
  • mhig011975
    Options
    Pop is more likely to dehydrate you.

Completely false.

1st answer was true.
    2nd answer is false.

soda will dehyrate you.

Evidence for this?

It's been proven that even the diuretic effect of coffee/soda is far outweighed by the amount of fluid in it, and the more coffee you drink the better your body gets at extracting the fluid.

Why do people continue to think coffee/soda will dehydrate you? Think about it! Im sure most of us know someone who drinks nothing BUT coffee/soda, and are they dying of dehydration? Of course not.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what