Working out alone

Options
How do you get motivated alone. I've always had somebody push me to the max and I always got a great workout, but alone its tougher.

Replies

• 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: I have almost always had to work out alone which I agree is hard to keep yourself motivated. But last Christmas my son bought me an IPod so I use it and it really keeps me going with the many different types of music that are on it! :ohwell:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I push myself harder than anyone else can. I actually feel like Im annoying to anyone who works out with me because I think that other people quit too easily.
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    on my walks i usually do them alone. I am hoping my actions motivate others to join me.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone...if you fail it's all your fault....pushes me harder to NOT fail. I also don't like to talk to anyone while I'm working out..I like to be in my "zone". My IPOD is my workout buddy.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I always work out alone, too. I find that I get a better workout if I'm doing it by myself, at my own pace.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I listen to books while working out, or music that gets me going. It is hard to keep motivated alone, but it can be done!
  • savismommy
    Options
    Music always helps me.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone. I can - so far - motivate myself.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit! I live on own and can't afford a trainer.. I find Wii Fit great cos it includes games too and don't get bored.. There's many exercise games out there now... and if you got kids too they can play on it when you aren't exercising! :laugh:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Strength training I need somebody to push me, to get me fired up and if I fatigue I may need a spot. Music helps but not the same.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree...buy an iPod! My gym also has TVs in front of the cardio machines, and you can tune to a certain radio station (I have radio on my iPod Nano) to be able to hear the TV. If there's something on that I like, I'll do that instead of music. Usually work out in the afternoon, though, so it's hard...not a soap opera or talk show fan (though I occasionally catch The Doctors when working out, and that's a pretty decent show--I usually listen to my music and read the captions, though!).

I'm hoping to get my parents to join me after they get back from out of town. I think they'd really like my gym, and it would be fun to workout together.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone, I push myself harder in a group I tend to give up if I'm not totally the best (its kind of a competitive spirit working against me).
    To me the gym is ME time. The people who I see working out in pairs seem to spend most of their time chatting.
    RESULTS are the best motivation.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    One of my friends was telling me that what helped her was to post it on Facebook, etc. Then people ask her all the time how her workout is going, and she doesn't want to let them down or feel "stupid" by saying that she quit, so it pushes her to keep going.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I have trained by myself the last 20 years. Occasionally I get someone who wants to train with me, but I better at training myself. If I need a spot, I ask for one.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Good answer tbudge. I have a gym in my basement, 600lbs of free weights from back in the day. Can't afford a local gym.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    As I am ultimately responsible for my health and wellbeing - it is up to me to motivate myself and make my own choices.

When I feel like eating crap or not working out I remind myself of this very fact.. It doesn't always work (I do still eat some crap and I will istent o my body and miss a work out if I am tired) btut ont he whoel knowing that it is only myself that can make a difference does motivate me!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    yeah for me there would be nothing more annoying than some workout buddy trying to motivate me when I'm not motivated. It would definitely work against. I love going to the gym and if I"m not motivated I'm probably too tired and need a rest anyway.

I think if you really have problems motivating yourself to train in a gym environment you might be better off finding some exercise that you find more fulfilling.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I love strength training, well the workout buddy helps by motivating me between sets and spots during sets. I love working out in big gyms just can't afford it right now.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I rely on my iPod and I secretely compete with the other people around me in the gym,
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Lol, I used to do that at gyms too.