My calves are the worst!!

Options
I've never been unhappy with a body part like my calves. All my life. They are big due to genetics I suppose. Of course with weight gain they are bigger and I can tell they have some fat and I hope to lose them. But when I was 105lbs I used to get "comments" about them all the time because they were so big.

I've never seen another person, no matter their weight and size, that have bigger calves than me except perhaps body builders. My weight has been 105 - 160 my adult life; women twice my weight have smaller calves, always.

Recently I've come to notice that they are not equal! One side seems more "built" than the other. I never do exercises specific to my calves, and everything I do is even so I don't know how this happened. I've tried to maybe work the other side a little less but nothing is working. One of them gradually goes out from my ankle; the other has a more sharp contrast (I hope this makes sense). One calf is larger by about half an inch.

It's so bad I want to have them "fixed", there are places that can lipo them, maybe if I have even a bit of fat, anything is better than nothing. But I thought I would ask if anyone else has these issues, and although I know you can do much to change calves I wanted to just see if anyone had something that might help me, exercise specific wise. Not that you can spot reduce esp calves... anyway it's so embarrassing that I do not wear shorts even though I live in one of the hottest US climates. I know I shouldn't let comments and stares bother me, but it's easier said than done.

Replies

• NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about it but I didn't want to read and not post as I find that quite rude.

I have pretty big calves too, but I wouldn't say they are too big. Even slim I always had shapely legs. The thighs I now have an issue with.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yep. My calves are the worst part of my body by far. Hate them. Complete genetics - my dad and brothers have them too. Even at my skinniest - they are awful. I also have thick ankles though too.

I've thought MANY times about having them "fixed." I have no idea what can be done for them, and I have to lose the weight first - but I very much have considered going in for a consultation. The problem is when I'm skinnier - I can't feel any fat - it's all solid so I'm not sure there is much they can do.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about it but I didn't want to read and not post as I find that quite rude.

:huh: .....you do know she wouldn't know you read it if you didn't post, right?

Sorry OP, I have no clue how to fix it.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I typed out a really long-winded response to this and realized it was just a rambling bunch of stuff that would only make sense to me.

Long story short, I have big legs. Abnormally large. I am 5'1" (and a half!) and was ashamed of my tree-legs for a looooong time. I wouldn't wear shorts unless it was at the beach to cover my swimsuit.

Now, I am a runner. Those legs are what carries me 20+ miles on days. I have learned to love them, and be proud of them. I think that's really the best way to handle the parts of ourselves that are not easily changed. Figure out how to use them to our advantage.... ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Calves are mostly genetic. You can increase their size, but it's practically impossible to decrease their size with the exception of some body fat. The only non surgical way is to NOT use your legs and let the muscle atrophy. Learn to love your body. The more you do, the more you'll embrace them.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You are not alone... I have thick calves too. All genetics, I'm sure. Even when skinnier, I still have them. As one of the other posters said... I also have thick ankles. It's very frustrating when I see very heavy people with skinny calves and skinny ankles, and knowing mine will never be that way.

Unfortunately, I don't know what can be done to help. So... I just keep trying to lose fat and weight and hope that I just look good overall when I get to my goal.

Hang in there... everyone is built differently and everyone has problem areas. So... you are not alone.
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - of all the things I get from my dad it's his freaking calves! My current measurement is 18" and the smallest I've ever measured them is at 16" (and that's when I was 40 lbs lighter than my current weight). I've got no help or suggestions to offer... just letting you know that you are not alone!
  • Magic_Girl
    Options
    Hopefully it doesn't get down to "getting them fixed," but if that's the only way you believe they could get smaller and if it really bothers you that bad then do what you got to do. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are your measurements on your calves? My calves got smaller when I did more cardio (elliptical and treadmill). My biggest problem area are my thighs! My thighs are the only place I haven't lost any inches. I also had one calf a half inch larger than the other, but it eventually went down when I kept doing cardio. My arms where a half inch different too. No one else noticed so I guess it wasn't so bad.
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I´ve got big calves to and I´m happy to have a pair of strong legs... They carry me all around the globe. Not everyone is that lucky.
  • wixy15
    wixy15 Posts: 19
    Options
    hello,

i have a good exceris for calves, and so i assume that it will help to reduce their fat and tone them...but i use it mainly to strengthen my calf muscles for running.

all you do is stand with your toes on the very edge of a step (stairs) with the majority of your feet hanging over the edge, and then alternate your weight between being in your heels to your toes. kind of roll your feet up and down.

it doesn't seem like much but if you do it for 30 secs or so you will start to feel it, try to keep your muscles tense.

i don't know if it will help your situation but worth a go?

:)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your calves are used constantly. They support your weight, and they are responsible for moving you around. They should be large and strong in order to do this. There's really no way to make them smaller, not that I can think of a good reason to shrink them, that could invite all sorts of ankle problems.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    Wixy, I've heard of doing that actually.

Everyone, I know you are right when you say I should just be happy. I'm working on it. I think that if I got to my goal weight that they will look better. They are 18 inches, but I am only 5'0" so as you can tell they are pretty chunky.

I hate that I can't wear boots! I want to so bad, but even when I go to the sites that have "Wide calf" sizes, they aren't big enough still! Sometimes I find 18" if I get size 10, but I can't wear that my feet are size 8 they tend to only go to 12-16 inches. So frustrating.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I hate that I can't wear boots! I want to so bad, but even when I go to the sites that have "Wide calf" sizes, they aren't big enough still! Sometimes I find 18" if I get size 10, but I can't wear that my feet are size 8 they tend to only go to 12-16 inches. So frustrating.

I hate this, too!!!!! I have wide feet also, so the only way I can wear cute strappy shoes is if they are 2 sizes too big and then I just trip all over the place all day. LOL. I'm pretty sure that loving ourselves is one of the hardest jobs we're ever assigned.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Get the boots you like and take them to a shoe repair shop. They can cut up the back seam of the boot and add elastic that matches the boot color and a concealed zipper. I used to do equestrian sports and always had to have my tall riding boots altered. No one will know the difference and the boots will look fantastic!

I don't mind my big calf muscles too much. I actually have thin and delicate ankles, so my legs end up looking strong and curvy. But, finding tall boots is a colossal pain!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to learn to love them.
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Reading this and started to get curious about my "big calves". Mine are 16.5" at their widest part. I'm 5'3" and a little over 150 (for now) I naturally walk on my toes and I run for about 50% of my cardio. They don't bother me except when I am shopping for a skirt that hits me right around their widest part. I guess I might look silly in skinny jeans too but they aren't my style anyway.

What I love about my calves is that they help me to run. I know there is some fat in there but they are pretty solid.

If you are losing weight, I am sure they will go down a bit, but try to find the positive aspects and be proud of what you have.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Lol, I wish I could have muscular calves because I think it makes you look fit and strong! Pretty funny everyone is different. :P
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Get the boots you like and take them to a shoe repair shop. They can cut up the back seam of the boot and add elastic that matches the boot color and a concealed zipper. I used to do equestrian sports and always had to have my tall riding boots altered. No one will know the difference and the boots will look fantastic!

I don't mind my big calf muscles too much. I actually have thin and delicate ankles, so my legs end up looking strong and curvy. But, finding tall boots is a colossal pain!

I had NO CLUE you could do this!! I am all over this tip!
  • elemstuck
    Options
    Become a bike rider and you will be able to tear weight off your legs. I still carry plenty of weight up top that I am still working on, but my legs are solid and have reduced in size significantly over the past 6 months from riding 15 miles/day.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    Well I also hate that a lot of jeans and pants won't fit me correctly either. Also of course if my pants fit perfect everywhere else, they don't fit in the calves or hardly go over them. I have to wear pants that are too big everywhere else usually, unless I can find a flared fit.

I don't know, muscular calves are one thing but they are clearly too big for my body.
    But, if they were THE SAME, I might feel better about them. They are clearly "uneven" and it sucks. Completely different shape... I don't know when it happened, I just noticed when I was taking measurements earlier in the year.

As a matter of fact, I am going to start biking. The only thing that has stopped me is the cost, I want a good bike and I was supposed to have it already, I'm waiting for a paycheck to get into my account. That and I live where it's still up in the 90 degree temp range, so I'm not really into going out much for exercise until it's below that. Fingers crossed just another couple weeks and I'll have my bike AND down into the lower 80's.