MFP vs Spark People

Options
A friend of mine told me about Spark People, but it looks like a very similar program as MFP. I am very happy with MFP, my question is is there any reason you would do both?

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about Spark People, but it looks like a very similar program as MFP. I am very happy with MFP, my question is is there any reason you would do both?

Untill MFP incorporated a recipe calculator, I used Spark People to do the job. I much prefer MFP tho
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I tried Spark People and found it not to be as user friendly. I went back to weight watchers from Spark People until I found MFP. I think it is much easier to look info up on MFP.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would't do both. They are very similar and it would just be double the amount of work! I switched over from Spark People because this format seemed a little better and I like the community here. :)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I use fatsecret.com for my food logging because I like their food calendar better, but the people on MFP are WAY better, so I always find myself spending more time here than anywhere else.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would't do both. They are very similar and it would just be double the amount of work! I switched over from Spark People because this format seemed a little better and I like the community here. :)

Agreed!
  • echokx
    echokx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on Sparkpeople, and like MFP better because it's much more simple and stripped down. One thing, though that I might still use is the exercise video demos they have, or maybe read articles they have. But that's about it.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    i have used both....and mfp is just sooooooooo much better!!!!! trust me, stay where you are at and invite your friend to try mfp!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nope. Tried Spark People. Didn't like it.
    I love MFP :heart:
    I think it's all about finding what works for you, and going with it. I have no idea how anyone would be able to do both SP and MFP (time-wise). I know how much time MFP takes up for me. LOL
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just got an account with sparkpeople just to see what the fuss was about. it is really difficult to add foods and what not...like it's hard to figure out, especially after being on here for so long. i like MFP better. I haven't logged onto sparkpeople since the day i got it lol
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do MFP the most and Spark People just for support and tips. They have alot of good articles and food ideas.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Spark people is more cumbersome than MFP and of course you guys are on here :flowerforyou:
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tried Sparkpeople for a minute but didn't really think it was user friendly and was not really motivated to track my food or exercise the way I am here. I am pretty new to this type of forum but so far I LOVE MFP.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just took a look, MFP is much more user friendly.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I like MFP a lot better. The site is nicer and easier to use. I also like the people here better as the over the top rainbows, sunshine and unicorns of the Uber positive without being grounded in the real world didn't rub me the right way.

People here tend to tell it like it is and there are lot more people that know what they're talking about here.
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    Yeah I would never leave MFP, I just didn't know if there was any benefit to using both... I have way to many friends on here that I would not leave.
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the articles and the newletters I receive which are encouraging from sparks but I haven't used the other things.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Spark people is more cumbersome than MFP and of course you guys are on here :flowerforyou:
    Yup, it really is. Plus they give you a range of calories under the assumption that you will eat the lower amount on the days you don't work out. I don't know about anyone else, but I eat what I can, so I was always eating up at the top of my alloted calories. Here I don't want to see my calories go into the red, so I eat what I'm supposed to eat and not more.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have a sparkpeople account that I use just for the e-newsletters and for "fitness map". You can enter in a running route on a map, enter your weight, age, etc. and hit calculate and it will tell you how many cals you burn running that particular route. Very cool. Otherwise, I dont use the sight for anything else, too confusing.
  • jaxson1974
    Options

Exactly this. I find the SP site very convoluted. I am really liking MFP
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    the Spark website is too busy for my liking.... so much going on. i prefer this site...way more.