13 diet food that make you fat!

Options
dls06
dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/diet-foods-that-make-you-fat#0

Some of these surprised me. Among them were Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and more. Very interesting.

Replies

• Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Greek yogurt...I've been eating it everyday. WOW!!!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Funny, I eat a lot of greek jogurt and keep losing weight.
  • Lelafin
    Lelafin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hmmm I eat a LOT of cottage cheese.... INTERESTING!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to grab some popcorn for this one.... :tongue: I smell a debate coming on...
  • Jenh714
    Jenh714 Posts: 14
    Options
    The low fat or 0 fat kinds are just fine. Just read labels or put it into food search on mfp.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Funny, I eat a lot of greek jogurt and keep losing weight.

From the article:

Culprit: Fage Total Plain Classic Greek Yogurt has 23 g of fat (18 g saturated) and 300 calories in 1 cup. That's not to say there aren't good reasons to buy this ultrathick and creamy yogurt. It's a great source of calcium (you'll get 25% of your daily value in a 1-cup serving) and protein (15 g), plus it has those good-for-your-gut live active cultures. But the whole-milk variety has 5 times the fat content of the 2% fat version and twice the calories (300, versus 150 in the 2% product).

Smarter choice: Fage Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt is made with fat-free milk so it still provides all the calcium and cultures, and it even has a power-packed 20 g of protein, all with no fat and just 120 calories.

So, it's not to avoid Greek yogurt completely. Just watch that you're not eating too much. I think what we do here on MFP by tracking what we eat eliminates this concern. You definitely have to read the articles all the way through, to see what they're really saying.

Yahoo, especially, likes to create these dramatic article titles to get readership. The content of the article is usually a lot less shocking.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Why don't you read first what it has to say about Greek yogurt - it lists the fat content in full fat Greek yogurt. An alternative is always 0% fat greek yogurt. Or you could always just work it into your daily goals.

This article is rather misleading - it lists movie theatre popcorn and processed foods such as frozen dinners and sausages as supposed "healthy" foods. Clearly someone is being paid to write articles with buzz words without doing even an inch of research... And that's my 2 cents.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Why would they list "movie popcorn" as a diet food?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The low fat or 0 fat kinds are just fine. Just read labels or put it into food search on mfp.

It's not just about the fat. The sodium content is concerning also.
  • fitkitty1
    Options
    Thanks for this post!!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's so important to always read the labels before purchasing things. I find myself looking at sugar and sodium a lot when in the grocery store nowadays.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Um, why is anyone listening to what Yahoo has to say?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't get suckered into "diet foods". I just eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, some whole grains, and everything else in moderation.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Why would they list "movie popcorn" as a diet food?

LMAO! I agree!!!

Sadly, there's some people who might think that getting a movie popcorn without butter is a healthy option. I should know, I used to think the same thing! But it's popped in oil, so that negates the healthiness of it I suppose.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can eat any of these foods if you are paying attention to what you eat. None of these foods will "make you fat" unless you eat more calories than you burn in a day.

Lately, I've been getting really tired of articles like these that just contain, as someone already mentioned, buzzwords to make you interested.
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are healthy versions of these foods. You can't beat Liberty nonfat greek yogurt for a good hit of protein. Not salty, not fatty and not sugary.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I don't care, what I eat, just, watch the calories, never the fat, carbs etc......as long as I eat my 1200 cal, I keep losing weight.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It really should read "15 foods that make you fat"..

14.) Your mother's cooking
    15.) Your mother-in-law's cooking - you end up throwing it up because it was so bad, you almost end up in the hospital for food poisoning, and then when youre ready to eat again, you gorge yourself just so you have an excuse NOT to go back!

***raises hand for experiencing #15!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If you're still eating at a deficit then they won't make you gain.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They are really buying into the myth that fat makes you fat and saturated fat is bad. Give me good coconut oil and full fat yogurt and I lose weight easier ; ).