Converts from Weight Watchers - questions, please

Options
Hi! I'm currently on WW and am looking at MFP as a place to continue my weight loss. I was on Momentum and did well; however, PointsPlus just isn't doing it for me.

If you were on WW but are now doing MFP, do you mind if I ask you some questions?

1. On WW you were allowed to dip into your weekly flex points. On MFP, you are supposed to stay at or under your calorie target. Do you do that or do you go a bit over, the way it would have been on WW?

2. Have you been more successful on WW or MFP or about the same?

3. Do you find it hard to "deprogram" yourself from counting points?

4. Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Are there any boards I should know about? I'm still learning my way around here. :)

Thank you so much!

Replies

• shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm currently on WW and am looking at MFP as a place to continue my weight loss. I was on Momentum and did well; however, PointsPlus just isn't doing it for me.

If you were on WW but are now doing MFP, do you mind if I ask you some questions?

1. On WW you were allowed to dip into your weekly flex points. On MFP, you are supposed to stay at or under your calorie target. Do you do that or do you go a bit over, the way it would have been on WW?

4. Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Are there any boards I should know about? I'm still learning my way around here. :)

Thank you so much!

I have had way more success on here.

?1) MFP gives you a deficet of 500 calories already, plus if you work out you get extra calories to eat, so yes it is like dipping into your extras.

?2) MFP has been way more successful for me.

?3) I did at first, so I counted points and calories. Now I just count my workouts and my food log.

?4) I found that once I started making friends on here, everything else just fell into place.

Good luck on your journey, and you can add me if you would like.
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    I found WW to be a waste of time and a huge waste of money for me.

1. The problem is that those "flex points" would let me overeat on the weekends. Now I just stay at or under my calorie goal. If I go over, I go over, but I am very conscious about NOT going over. If you're honest with MFP, it'll work for you.

2. Way more successful counting calories.

3. No way, it's so much easier counting calories than calculating points! Besides, if I ate some of those 0 or 1 PP items, I'd end up diabetic!

4. Just be honest. Record EVERYTHING. Get a food scale. Don't cheat yourself!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I switched over a while ago (before Points Plus). I am in maintain now but when I joined MFP I was still losing so I'll answer your questions based on when I switched.

1. I stayed within my MFP calories but I did eat my exercise calories back. About once a month, I would have a "cheat" day but not go totally crazy.

2. I like MFP better but my success has been about the same. I never did the Points Plus though but I have heard nothing but negative about it.

3. Not at all.

Welcome to MFP and best of luck to you! :)
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    Hello, I was on weight watchers a few years ago. I lovedddddddd it. Lost all my weight from having my baby girl. As soon as I reached my goal...surprise surprise. Pregnant again! Now I'm trying to lose the weight gain. I wanted to go back on WW but the Points Plus was not cool. Its not accurate. I found MFP and I did a little research. Found that 1200 calories per day was like eating 21 points. I love MFP because of the support and not having to leave my house to go to meetings. There are lots a forums so If I have a question tons of people reply. Feel free to add me as a friend and try to count your points vs. the calorie intake and you will see that its almost the same. I have all my tools to continue the momentum program. I know all the points value for my fav foods by heart but I wanted a change. Change is good :) -rosalie-
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To the question about the calorie goals.... when you first started this it should have asked how much you wanted to lose a week, the cal goal that it gives u per day is the allowed cal's. From what I've been told, you have to at LEAST eat those cal's to lose those pounds per week. It's ok to be a lil under the goal but if your alot under it will tell you that your not eating enough. Has far as WW, I haven't done WW in a long time but when I did i lost 20 lbs but put it back on when i stopped. I think either one would be a good tool but I feel a lil more freedom to eat certain things using MFP. If you have a smart phone you can download the app for MFP and log ur items on your phone if your not close to a computer (ie: at work, out for dinner...) Hope all that helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to friend me and ask away! We are in this together !lol :flowerforyou:
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hey everyone. i'm so curious! i was practically raised on WW. My mom always cooked from their recipes for dinner (yum!) and i understood the idea of points etc. however, i've heard about the points plus plan but have no idea what it is. how is it different? (for the record, i do not do WW, i'm just on MFP)
  • Granny1227
    Options
    I too have tried WW points plus. I like MFP much much better and I find it is alot easier to keep on track. Add me as a friend if you want and we can support each other.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just switch from WW to MFP for maintenance. I was doing Momentum program and has A LOT of success with it. I actually still want to lose 3 more lbs and i am not able to with MFP i have been stuck dead even at the same weight for 3wks, so i am thinking about going back to points and finishing up with weight loss and then coming back here for maintenance. I love this site because of the support group and friends! I hope you have a LOT of success :))
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was more successful on WW, but that's only because I started on WW when I weighed 217 lbs. I weigh 149 now, which I've managed to maintain and even lose a little on MFP (when I signed up, I was about 152), but overall weight loss is much harder now that I'm smaller. I'm happy with my body now, though I would like to lose more and I've thought about going back to WW to see if I'd be more successful, but unfortunately I can't afford it.

The main problem I have with MFP is that it gives you 1200 calories -- no matter what! I'm participating in a Weight Loss program at my gym right now, and they figured out my BMR (the calories I burn at rest) and gave me 1800 calories a day. I eat that much or under every single day, even if I work out. I changed my calorie goal on MFP to that and it works for me -- even though according to MFP, I should be GAINING weight eating that much (I'm not, I'm actually losing about .5 lb/week -- it just comes off slower when you weigh less, I guess -- I miss the days when I was heavier and lost 2 or more lbs a week, but I like being smaller!)

I like MFP because you don't have to focus on weight loss. I went through the summer just focusing on maintenance because it was hard with all the fun and vacationing to stick to a restrictive diet.

But, overall if you think about it, they are really the same thing -- keeping track of what you eat, exercising, staying within a calorie range. It just goes to show that being diligent about calories in/calories out is the way to lose weight -- even if it takes a while!

P.S. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I only have "real life" friends on MFP now and I'd love to have more people to follow!
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    PointsPlus didnt work for me either. I gained 10 pounds with it. Personally, I find MFP really easy to use and it was not hard at all to stop counting points. So much easier counting calories and when you go grocery shopping, the info is right there in front of you. No trying to guess the points on something. I dont always stay under my calories for the day, most of the time I do, but once in a while I need that splurge day or I am going to seriously hurt someone. MFP also takes into account your exercise for the day like WW does with Activity Points- except MFP is daily, whereas WW is weekly, if I remember correctly. The only thing I miss from WW is that fruits and veggies are 'free' whereas MFP you have to track your fruit and veggie intake as well. Not a big deal though. Overall, I prefer MFP. In the end, as long as it works for you that is all that matters. Good luck to you!
  • nayri1
    nayri1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was doing really well on PointsPlus between Jan - April and then broke my ankle. It was impossible to do WW when I wasn't cooking for myself and I am lucky that I managed to only put on 5-6 pounds in my five months off. I am trying to get back up and running...I have started doing MFP in the last few days and think that this is a much easier and manageable way to lose weight and actually live life normally.

As someone mentioned, with WW the points calculations are not accurate and you spend half your time trying to figure out how many points something has. Calories are a bit more defined - even when trying to guess when eating out. I also think that it is easier to overeat with the flex points they give you. Their product sales also really start to get you after a while...

There are definitely issues with MFP but it is more about the product/site vs the concept.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

I made up the difference for this by upping my pound per week goal from 1 to 1.5. This way, if I do go over a bit, I should still be able to lose 1 pound per week

I've been losing less weight but I think part of that is getting through the summer, allowing myself too many indulgences and partly because naturally, the closer you get to goal, the slower your weight loss will be. It can be much easier to lose 1-2 pounds per week consistently when you're 100 pounds overweight, not so much when you're 30 pounds overweight.

It wasn't for me, I feel like this is the same idea as WW Momentum - you stay within your limits, exercise to earn extra calories and if you set it up, have those extras to dip into as well. I would say "points" instead of "calories" for a while but not anymore.

The calorie counts given by MFP for exercise can be a little overestimated. Invest in a good HRM (heart rate monitor) if you can or plan on only eating back some of the calories you earn. Add sodium to your food diary. Know there are a lot of smart-@sses on here so if you ask questions on the boards, you may get silly answers. If I remember correctly, that happened on the WW boards too.

Good luck!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years and was successful, but slowly realized that while it helped teach me portion control, it seemed like the program was about "getting the most food for the lowest points possible". So they were big on selling their snacks and frozen foods, which, to me, didn't seem like the healthiest options. I quit counting points and concentrated more on calories and eating more healthful food.
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I liked weight watchers at first but it was too expensive and I since every nutrition label has calories listed it is a whole lot easier than calculating points.

1. I try to stay within a range of -250 to +250 calories a day and I only have to eat back the exercise calories that put me under -250 for my day. That way even when I'm "bad" I'm still in the losing range. That range is based on my calories at losing 1 lb and at losing 2 lbs per week. I have had friends that "banked" whatever calories they saved each day and used them like flex points.

2. MFP definitely! I lost 27 lbs in 4 months and when I stopped watching what I was eating and exercising, I gained most of it back, but when I was ready to start over, I came right back to MFP. I'm a really shy person when it came to talking or being singled out in WW meetings so I rarely got the support I needed. It's a lot easier to ask the questions I need here. And there are thousands of people here to support you 24/7 instead of once a week. MFP allows me to experiment on what really works in my life and I feel like I have more control.

3. Not really. I've found that I can eat more of the foods that I like because even though they were high points, they are lower in calories. I still try to get lots of fiber, and I know that a good leftover habit from using the points scale.

4. Find friends with common goals, as well as some you can learn something from.
  • soulatomic
    Options
    Wow - you ladies are AMAZING! So many responses already. Thank you so much. :) On the WW boards, I am sure I would have been pulverized for asking questions (they are *very* snarky over there - I can be snarky too, but come on!).

I've done the online program, so no experience with in-person meetings. This web-based MFP seems right up my alley!

Today for example, with all my meal planning, I'm -75 calories for the day. Hmm. From what I've gathered, I'm still ok, right?

PointsPlus makes me feel like I can't eat a lot of things - bread, for example. I felt penalized for wanting a sandwich! Momentum wasn't that way. So then I lost my motivation and haven't been following WW for months now. I really need to get back to it - I'm only 25 pounds from goal!

Thanks again for all your helpful responses! :)
  • soulatomic
    Options
    On PointsPlus, the focus really became more on whole foods. Which is great! Instead of calculating calories, fat and fiber, it moved to fat, carbs, protein, fiber. Everyone was given a minimum of 29 points, with 49 weekly points? Why? Under the new formula, a lot of points values went UP. 1% milk went from 2 to 3 points, for example.

The thing that I think is really "getting" people is the change in NOT calculating fresh fruits and veggies. They are now all "free." What's been happening is that people are eating 300-500 calories in fruit/veggies that *aren't* being included in their daily points intake. Result? Maintenance or gaining weight. (My opinion.)

My problem with the new program is I feel a helluva lot more restricted. On the old program, I could enjoy a sandwich. On the new program, a sandwich suddenly became 6-7 points. Ridiculous. The odd thing is, white pasta vs. wheat pasta calculates the same now. On the old program, the wheat pasta would have been one point less. Things like that just aren't resonating with me.

Hope that helps!