Why 1200 calories probably isn't good for you...

Options

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    From the article:

"Fortunately, the solution to maintaining muscle mass while losing weight requires only three things:

1. Keeping calorie intake at around 1,200 calories or more a day so the body doesn't turn to muscle as a source of energy. Fasting or liquid diets with very few calories are particularly effective in producing muscle loss because of their low calorie content.

2. Consuming protein in adequate amounts. The daily requirement for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of body weight. Figure out how much you need by first changing your weight from lbs to kilograms. Do this by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8. If you lose a substantial amount of weight, say 100 pounds or more on your diet, your protein needs will decrease. (If you decide to become a professional body builder they will increase.)

3. Exercising as often as possible. Strength and/or resistance training must be part of your routine. It is not necessary to get a personal trainer or use elaborate machines to build muscle. For example, yoga will build muscles because many routines use certain muscles of the body to hold up or balance other parts. Many gyms, including the Y, offer classes using weights, exercise balls or resistance bands to work and strengthen muscles. Exercise videos also teach methods for muscle strengthening that can be done in your living room. Lastly, don't overlook the pool. Water is heavy and a perfect medium for increasing the muscles all over your body, while eliminating impact on your joints and spine."
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Great resource, good find!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Judith Wurtman's a good one, she takes a more balanced approach than most when offering advice. Thanks for posting!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for that. 1200 feels too low for me and too hard to maintain a regular lifestyle. I try to stay at 1800 and not eat back my exercise cals. *Try* is the key word :) Still working on killing old habits.
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    That protein intake is significantly less than what is recommended in this article - which is highly recommended

www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

The former would have me eating about 45g a day, the latter about 100!
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome article! LIKE!
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    have a look at www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to their podcasts too for great info on eating more than 1200.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thank you
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I still think this depends on the size of the person. I am 5'4" and small boned. 1000 net calories/day is maintaining me at 122lb, and has been for months. I don't think an arbitrary number can apply equally to smaller people. I work out almost every day and always eat my exercise calories so I rarely really only eat 1000 calories.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    That protein intake is significantly less than what is recommended in this article - which is highly recommended

www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

The former would have me eating about 45g a day, the latter about 100!

i agree with you!
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    have a look at www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to their podcasts too for great info on eating more than 1200.

YES!!!! This site a AMAZING. I use it and freedieting.com very frequently!
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    From the article:

"Fortunately, the solution to maintaining muscle mass while losing weight requires only three things:

1. Keeping calorie intake at around 1,200 calories or more a day so the body doesn't turn to muscle as a source of energy. Fasting or liquid diets with very few calories are particularly effective in producing muscle loss because of their low calorie content.

2. Consuming protein in adequate amounts. The daily requirement for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of body weight. Figure out how much you need by first changing your weight from lbs to kilograms. Do this by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8. If you lose a substantial amount of weight, say 100 pounds or more on your diet, your protein needs will decrease. (If you decide to become a professional body builder they will increase.)

3. Exercising as often as possible. Strength and/or resistance training must be part of your routine. It is not necessary to get a personal trainer or use elaborate machines to build muscle. For example, yoga will build muscles because many routines use certain muscles of the body to hold up or balance other parts. Many gyms, including the Y, offer classes using weights, exercise balls or resistance bands to work and strengthen muscles. Exercise videos also teach methods for muscle strengthening that can be done in your living room. Lastly, don't overlook the pool. Water is heavy and a perfect medium for increasing the muscles all over your body, while eliminating impact on your joints and spine."

i agree this part is contradictory with the first part of the article which i really liked. The whole reason I posted it was because I formerly was all about the scale and I'm 100% positive i was losing muscle. I never had even thought such a thing could happen...i was all about seeing low numbers on the scale. Now i rely less on the scale and have significantly upped my protein intake. Bottom line, find what works for you.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking.
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    bump
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is fine as long as the bulk of your calories comes from protein and veggies. A good multi-vitamin also.