Calories Needed Per Day To Lose Weight.. Take a look!!!

Options
Ha ve you ever Wondered what How many Calories Needed Per Day To Lose Weight?????

To determine the number of calories needed to lose weight we must first try to calculate the calories required by the body. Only then is it possible to slowly lower the calories needed by the body until we are in a negative energy balance. The Schofield Equation is a method to calculate the basal metabolic rate (BMR) in calories of adult men and women.

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Women Men

10 - 17 years 13.4 x W + 692 SEE = 112 17.7 x W + 657 SEE = 105

18 - 29 years 14.8 x W + 487 SEE = 120 15.1 x W + 692 SEE = 156

30 - 59 years 8.3 x W + 846 SEE = 112 11.5 x W + 873 SEE = 167

W= Body weight in Kilograms
SEE= Standard error of estimation (The SEE value means the calculated BMR could be this number of calories out, in other words either too many or too little. As an example, if you are very muscular and possess more lean weight than an average person of the same height and weight, then you may have to add the SEE value to the BMR calculated. The simple reason is more lean weight means more calories needed!)

Calories needed per day to lose weight

The gradual reduction in calories required encourages the body to slowly use up fat stores rather than burning up protein from muscle - this is what often happens when calories are cut too quickly and results in a lowered metabolism!

That's why it is important to know how much of a calorie cut could make a big difference. Many dieters make the mistake of cutting calorie intake too much, too soon. They choose to follow a very low calorie intake diet in the belief that more fat will be burned from their excess fat stores.

Sometimes, dieters lose weight rapidly, but fail to realize that most of the loss is simply fluid lost from the cells. The body ends up using up a large portion of protein and carbohydrate stores (glycogen in the muscles), in order to balance energy.

The calorie intake depends on:
•height
•weight
•activity levels

In the UK, it has been estimated that the average woman needs around 2000 calories per day to maintain weight. This calorie requirement rises to 2500 for average men. These figures are based on averages and may be completely different for many individuals. Women who weigh more will generally require more calories although, if the same person becomes less active then calorie requirements will be lower. Also, men tend to need more calories than women, often due to a leaner body composition. For this reason calorie requirements are highly individual and require a more accurate approach.

Cut down calories

Sensible weight loss for healthy adults should start with a 500 calorie intake reduction from what the body requires. Then if progress holds for a week, the calorie intake can be reduced by burning a further 200 calories. This way the body can slowly establish a new energy balance, rather than shocking the system into breaking down lean weight, which actually helps keep the metabolism high, meaning more calories can be burned.

It is also recommended that light exercises should be performed, in order to increase calorie burning. Relying solely on diet to lose fat weight may lead to disappointment......

Hope this is Helpful To you... As it was for me :wink:

~Rachel

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It's helpful but misleading. It's a good base point but everyone's body is different.

For example per that formula, I require 11.5 * my weight of 225 to maintain. Reality is if I go over 1800 calories in a day I gain weight. I have charted this for myself extensively to find my basic metabolic resting rate.

It does show that as you get older your body slows down so it's important to note that.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    ...to calculate your BMR, there's also that handy tool for finding it, right here on MFP.
  • JCMercyGrace
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for the great information. I'll need to digest it (no pun intended) a bit, and so some calculations, but hopefully it will help with these crazy weight swings I've been on since late June, not really changing anything until rather recently.
    Looks like you've done a wonderful job!!! Congratulations!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am so ADD sometimes, LOL. I have no idea what I just read. MFP says my goal is 2600, but I try to stay under 2K....that sound about right?
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Good stuff!
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    That's a lot of words. :tongue:
  • paravision
    Options
    OMG YOU LOOK AMAZING! I AM HOLDING BACK TEARS LOOKING AT HOW MUCH YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED. Youare inspirational!
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused also,but glad to see I'm not the only one...I have been noticing alot of change in my structure here as of late...The weight came off fast to start with,now it appears to be maintaining itself...I'm hovering around 280 give or take 2-3 lbs a week...Has been that way for the last 2 months with or without exercise...I just can't seem to drop anymore and it's really getting frustrating as he11.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am so ADD sometimes, LOL. I have no idea what I just read. MFP says my goal is 2600, but I try to stay under 2K....that sound about right?

Ha ha! Actually your right. Anything under the calories needed to maintain your current weight should result in weight loss. You want to make sure that you don't go too extreme though or you'll throw your self into starvation mode and plateau or gain.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused also,but glad to see I'm not the only one...I have been noticing alot of change in my structure here as of late...The weight came off fast to start with,now it appears to be maintaining itself...I'm hovering around 280 give or take 2-3 lbs a week...Has been that way for the last 2 months with or without exercise...I just can't seem to drop anymore and it's really getting frustrating as he11.
    I know, I'm in EXACTLY the same boat. I actually went up a couple lbs - even though the caloric intake doesn't justify the body weight gain. I'm up 6 lbs from my low point - and I don't understand why.

Still, I know that this is a healthier way to eat, and I have no problem living with this restricted calorie intake - I think it may just be a matter of time before I resume the downward drop. But the first 2 months were really great!
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking to read later
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump
  • clockenddan
    Options
    Does the MyFitnessPal app use the Schofield equation? Based on the equation, at my weight of 85.6kg and age 39, I make this 11.5 x 85.6 = 984.4, add 873 = 1,857.4 calories at rest. If I then multiply this by an AMR of 1.3 (sedentary) I get 2,414.6 calories to maintain my weight.

To lose weight I should apparently eat my BMR (1,857.4) + 300Kcals which would be 2,157.4).

However the MyFitnessPal app says I should be looking to consume 1,270 kcals if I want to lose 2lbs per week. That's a big difference, can anyone advise if I am doing something wrong please?

Thanks for reading!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm good at maths - and I simply can't follow that equation

so basically my category is 30 - 59 years 8.3 x W + 846 SEE = 112 11.5 x W + 873 SEE = 167

the first part gives me 8.3x 78.9+846 = 1500 (is that supposed to be my BMR?)

what's the rest of it? why is there 112 then a space - what do you do with the 112?

11.4x78.9+873 = 1780 (what's that number?)

where's my activity level ?

huh? :confused:

(My TDEE is 2200 on average - mapped against daily recording using pedometer / HRM for 6 months)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Y'all know this is an old thread, right?
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @clockenddan and @rabbitjb - I sent both of you a message to clarify the math. I didn't want to post it here and stir up too much topic as Lasmartchika says, this is an old thread and should go back to the grave.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    auticus wrote: »
    It's helpful but misleading. It's a good base point but everyone's body is different.

For example per that formula, I require 11.5 * my weight of 225 to maintain. Reality is if I go over 1800 calories in a day I gain weight. I have charted this for myself extensively to find my basic metabolic resting rate.

It does show that as you get older your body slows down so it's important to note that.

Nvm. Zombie thread :(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm good at maths - and I simply can't follow that equation

so basically my category is 30 - 59 years 8.3 x W + 846 SEE = 112 11.5 x W + 873 SEE = 167

the first part gives me 8.3x 78.9+846 = 1500 (is that supposed to be my BMR?)

what's the rest of it? why is there 112 then a space - what do you do with the 112?

11.4x78.9+873 = 1780 (what's that number?)

where's my activity level ?

huh? :confused:

(My TDEE is 2200 on average - mapped against daily recording using pedometer / HRM for 6 months)

(8.3*78.9)+846 then plus or minus 112 depending on your own personal experience.
    It is calculating your BMR only, not your activity level, so you'd have to add that too.