Why am I NOT losing weight?!

Options
I'm 144ish pounds and about 5'6 in height. For well over a month I've been doing everything! I've counted calories, tried eating less, tried eating 6 meals a day. Now I'm trying to do a cleansing diet. I wake and exercise everyday. I'm even taking cardio class twice a week!
I lost about a measly pound ONCE but it came back in less than a week! I'm so upset that I want to just stop eating altogether!
Can anyone help?!!!

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Gonna need more info. What are you eating, how many calories a day are you eating? How old are you? What's your workout routine?

..... Opening your diary may help.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

jack-20nicholson-20truth.jpg
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Do you have any other symptoms? I struggled with the same thing (at a much higher weight) and later found out I have hypothyroidism. Once treated, most people can start to lose weight, normally, again. Chat with your doctor about the possibility--my one suggestion, take your base temperature every day for a week or so before you go. I have always blood-tested within acceptable limits, but my base temperature was waaaaay low.

Measure your base temp by taking your temperature when you first wake up--don't move around or anything prior to taking your temp. I kept a thermometer by my bed (digital) so I didn't even have to shake the solution down. Record that temperature--it would be good for your doctor to see.

Good luck!!!
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You are taking cardio class twice a week? Does that mean you are only doing high-cardio twice a week? And for how long?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    How about your measurement? how does your clothes fit now?
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i dont know how many cals your eating or how much your burning in your worouts but maybe you arnt eating enough cals and puting your body into starvation mode
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Diary is locked and not enough info. You only have 5 pounds to lose according to your ticker this won't be a fast loss when you only need to lose that little amount of weight.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    All of the above comments apply! Hope you figure it out. ;-D

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I once hit a plateau after losing 20lbs. At the time, I was jogging several miles 3 to 4 times a week and was eating right and hitting the gym. I decided to change up my workout. Instead of jogging, I switch to interval sprints. Did the trick! I lost another 20lbs.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It seems that you don't have much to lose to begin with. At 144 pounds and 5'6", your BMI calculates to 23.2, which is well into the normal range. How much are you aiming to lose? Since you are already at a "normal" weight, you will lose VERY slowly. Maybe instead of focusing on the scale, focus on your measurements. Work on toning and getting healthy and forget the numbers on the scale at this point.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    It seems that you don't have much to lose to begin with. At 144 pounds and 5'6", your BMI calculates to 23.2, which is well into the normal range. How much are you aiming to lose? Since you are already at a "normal" weight, you will lose VERY slowly. Maybe instead of focusing on the scale, focus on your measurements. Work on toning and getting healthy and forget the numbers on the scale at this point.

What she said. Once you're in the normal range (hoping to be there soon too) your body has a much more harder time losing. Not much to lose there.

I also agree with other people that you need to be more specific about how long you do cardio for. You have to go at least 30 minutes to get your heart rate up to a decent level for that length of time in order to help burn calories.

Have you tried changing up your work out routine? How are you doing on water intake?
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    I run or bike everyday as well.
    The class is just about an hour long so we spend about 40 mins of cardio and then weight training or toning.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try eating some fruit and vegetables.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    My clothes fit normal. I think I convince myself that they feel a little looser but its probably just my imagination.
    I'm eating fruits more and salads. There really aren't veggies to eat on my college campus.
    I cut out soda and alcohol too.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    When I hit my plateau (10 weeks)...a simple changing from working out in the AM to the mid afternoon and eating about 400 more cals is what helped me see the scale move again.