How do you deal with stress/big workloads?

Options
Hey everyone! So I have been eating REALLY badly the past couple weeks...since august, I have gained back 10 of the 16 lbs i lost and probably even more this week. basically i am really discouraged and frustrated. i really want to fix this, so i started looking at when and why i binge eat, hoping to find solutions, and i think i finally have it. every day when i get home from school, i have a snack and go on the computer. the goal is to start the homework around 3...however, its 4:50, and nothing's been done yet. instead, like every other day, i have been fooling around on the computer and pigging out. i have no idea WHY i'm doing this, considering i have a BUNCH of homework and i really don't have time for messing around. however, i have realized that my issue may be that when i have so many things to do (which happens pretty much every day) i get discouraged and pretty much shut down. so i'm wondering: how do you guys deal with stress or days when you have a lot to do? i try making checklists, but just looking at how much i have to do makes me even more upset. i don't have a whole bunch of time after school, so going for a walk, taking a nap, watching tv, etc. is pretty much out for me. i guess i just need something to do that will relax me and get me focused, so that instead of eating and procrastinating, i can get stuff done!

Replies

• cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Getting exercise first thing in the morning is good.

When you get home - some controlled deep breathing and some stretching is good also.
    A couple of stretches works wonders and doesn't take much time.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I just take it one thing at a time.
    If you try to take it all in at once it is too much. If you focus on just one thing, and get that done, move on to one other thing, and so on. You can only do one thing at a time anyway, so why worry about all the rest?

Multi-tasking is a myth created by bosses who want to over work their employees.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that's a common problem. I do the same when I get home from work. Computer and a snack. I've been trying to start by not eating at the computer, ever. And it's hard. I keep forgetting! But breaking that association is step number 1. You might be still wasting time, but at least you aren't getting fat doing it. Never eat anywhere but at the table. No exceptions. The other thing might be to set a timer at your laptop and allow yourself a half hour or whatever time you think is an appropriate enough stress buster and then get up when it goes off. I know, I wish I could help more, but I do the same damn thing only it's not homework, it's housework. I have to get a handle on it, I just hate it so much that I waste so much time.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My first year of grad school was 70 hours a week on campus and only coming home to crash. I'm still pulling 50-60 hours per week of worktime.

As hard as it is, you need to budget your time and include workouts even if it's 10-15 minutes per day and schedule your meals. Do yourself a favor and buy a crock pot. I crock pot at least 3 meals a week for me and my husband. It's so quick and easy and the leftovers are usually very tasty as well. It takes all of like 10 minutes to load it up with whatever and let it go. You come home to delicious home-cooked meals. There's some great crock pot recipes online if you search. It's not just for soups and stews!

The hardest part of a busy schedule is time management. Make time for you and you will find that your time working is far more productive, and your stress level will come down as well.

Hang in there!
  • ElynnPittman
    ElynnPittman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing for as long as I can remember. I have no idea if this could be part of the issue, but I found out at about 22, that i have ADD. It causes me to seek something comforting (food, mindless tv/computer) to avoid having to concentrate. It may be something else entirely different for you, but it'd be worth checking out! I started seeing a therapist and taking medicine and I feel so much better.
  • tiffinanne11
    Options
    Try making smaller lists and incorporate exercising into your daily routine for example when cleaning try adding some music and incorporate a few stretches or moves into it. Remember small dose is good, one pound at a time - Tiffin

:bigsmile:
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    this is me...i find going out for a walk declutters my mind and i also try to make sure my room is clean so then when i walk in it doesnt look so messy and hopefully motivates me a little to do something