HRM during strength training at home?

servilia
servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
I have an HRM and definitely wear it during cardio or circuit training, but what about when I'm just doing strength training with dumbbells? Is it worth using the HRM then?

Replies

• Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    I wore mine doing 30DS today, and I burned 351 calories, so I think it's worth it, definitely.
  • JosalynSmith
    JosalynSmith Posts: 20 Member
    I always wear my HRM, even if I'm just weight training. My heart rate does get higher when I'm doing some weight training. There seems to be a mild cardio effect when lefting weights. I just like to eat so I like to try and add those calories back into my diet :wink:
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    I recommend ensuring you do a good warm up (2 - 4 minutes cardio - eg. Skipping) before you do your weights and then you can lift your heart rate to make your weights work out more effective.
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    I recommend ensuring you do a good warm up (2 - 4 minutes cardio - eg. Skipping) before you do your weights and then you can lift your heart rate to make your weights work out more effective.
  • yeroc39
    yeroc39 Posts: 55
    Wearing a heart rate monitor while strength training gives you a much more accurate indication of the calories you burn than using a reference guide or standard meaurement for calories burned during activities. The other value is to use it instead of your timer to decide when to start the next set. This will make sure that you are really ready to start the next set. Sometimes using a static time, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, between sets can be too much time in the beginning of your workout and too little time later on.

I let my heart rate drop 20 beats or until it just stays at 1 number and doesn't drop anymore. Then I start my set. Its doing what the heart rate monitor was designed to do, give your body a voice and help you manage your exercise according to the impact its having on your body. Helps to avoid over or under training.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    HRM's are not accurate for strength training.

But if you're using the 5 & 10lb dumbells then I'd hazard a guess that your training is more aerobic in nature anyway.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Thanks for your input everyone. Yes Chris I use the 5 & 10lbers lol Sometimes I combine them for bigger moves, like I'll use both 10lbers together for deadlifts. But I need to get some heavier ones!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    i use my HRM for weight training, but then i will only log 3/4 of the calories burned just to be on the safe side.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Wearing a heart rate monitor while strength training gives you a much more accurate indication of the calories you burn than using a reference guide or standard meaurement for calories burned during activities. The other value is to use it instead of your timer to decide when to start the next set. This will make sure that you are really ready to start the next set. Sometimes using a static time, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, between sets can be too much time in the beginning of your workout and too little time later on.

I let my heart rate drop 20 beats or until it just stays at 1 number and doesn't drop anymore. Then I start my set. Its doing what the heart rate monitor was designed to do, give your body a voice and help you manage your exercise according to the impact its having on your body. Helps to avoid over or under training.

Great post!