Apple Cider Vinegar for weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    it cleanses your liver and gallbladder of sludge and stones... thats your weight loss benefit
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I took apple cider vinegar twice a day for over a year and I didn't lose an ounce. My reasons for taking the vinegar weren't weight loss, it was acne. It cleared my face up quickly and kept the new breakouts at bay.

Great stuff!

Now this has me wanting to try it... maybe I'll buy some tomorrow.
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can buy it at some Wal-Marts (but in the pharmacy section) and GNC I know carries it. I loved doing it. I put it in a little glass of water and drank it every morning. It does help with Blood sugars!!!!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No. Snopes debunked it.

I can't find that on Snopes, can you provide it?

Also, raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the "mother" has been proven time and again to lower blood sugar levels, resulting in people eating less. It also has a ton of other beneficial health properties.

I have been sipping diluted Bragg's twice a day for a few weeks now and love it.

You're right. I was thinking of the snopes forums. I found this, though:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17216979&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Says weight loss was not a side effect. Actually, organs enlarged causing slight weight GAIN.

There may be benefits to consuming it but there is nothing special about drinking it with honey in water or any other beverage concoction. Just use it in salad dressing every now and then for the same benefits.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    No. Snopes debunked it.

I can't find that on Snopes, can you provide it?

Also, raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the "mother" has been proven time and again to lower blood sugar levels, resulting in people eating less. It also has a ton of other beneficial health properties.

I have been sipping diluted Bragg's twice a day for a few weeks now and love it.

Read this - long, but the gist of it is near the end

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

Medical research

Given the scientific implausability behind most of vinegar’s claims, not surprisingly, there is no scientific evidence that it has any medicinal properties. The FDA has even issued warning letters to nutraceutical companies selling apple cider vinegar products for making unsupportable claims that it reduces cholesterol levels or hardening of the arteries; lowers risks for heart disease, heart attacks or strokes; or is effective for conditions ranging from obesity to arthritis. Even the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), a division of the National Institutes of Health specifically tasked to investigate natural or unconventional modalities, has found no studies to support vinegar.

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, concludes there is no evidence of any benefit of vinegar for:

Acne, amino acid source, anti-aging, antiseptic for gastrointestinal tract, appetite suppression, arthritis, asthma, bladder cleanser, bowel stone prevention in horses, circulation improvement, colitis, dandruff prevention, decongestant, dental conditions, detoxification, diarrhea, digestion aid, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, flavoring agent, food poisoning, hair loss, hair rinse, hay fever, headache, hearing impairment, heartburn, hemorrhage, hiccoughs, high blood pressure, household sanitizer, high cholesterol, immune enhancement, infections, insect bites, insomnia, itchy scalp, kidney cleanser, leg cramps, menstruation regulation, mental alertness, mineral source, nail problems, nervousness, nose bleeds, obesity, osteoporosis, queasy stomach, scurvy prevention, shingles, sinus congestion, skin toner, sore eyes, sore throat, strength enhancement, stuffy nose, sunburn, tired eyes, vaginitis, varicose veins, viral hepatitis, vitamin source, or weight loss.

While apple cider vinegar is relatively harmless for most people as normally consumed, believing it can cure, prevent or treat health problems also puts people at risk who are deterred from seeking needed medical care for serious health issues. M.D. Anderson, according to Natural Standard Monograph (2007), also warns that theoretically, long-term use could diminish bone mineral density and interact with and increase the risk of toxicity of cardiac glycoside prescriptions, such as digoxin; and potentiate the potassium-lowering effects of insulin, laxatives and diuretics, such as Lasix.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What are you going to do on this 30 day test run?

Gag a lot is my guess.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    it cleanses your liver and gallbladder of sludge and stones... thats your weight loss benefit

Fascinating.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    No
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a stint where I drank 1 tbsp in 12 oz of water each day but not for weight loss purposes. I was trying to get my digestive system back on track (I wasn't regular and was lucky to have a BM once or twice a week!!). I saw a naturopath who recommended I use this as a cheap but effective means for improving/adding enzymes to my weakened digestive system. This, coupled with a gall bladder/liver cleanse (which was nasty), did WONDERS for me and got me back on track to daily pooping (sorry if that's TMI). Once I became regular enough for a couple of months I stopped the awful Braggs ACV....I hated the smell and had to plug my nose every time I drank the stuff. Nasty. I could see how the smell alone might kill your appetite and help ya lose a little weight, LOL! Ohhh, and I've had hormonal acne for years now and NOTHING has worked (aside from accutane in the 4th-6th months but even the effects from that wore off after a couple of months). Braggs didn't touch it. :o/ So for those of you looking for acne help...I guess it won't hurt you to try it if you can commit to drinking that nastiness for six weeks or so. (The only thing that has helped with mine is taking spironolactone - classified as a "water pill" but when taken in low dosages operates on the hormone that causes hormonal acne in women. Your primary care doc can prescribe this for you...or you can see a dermatologist if you are already seeing one and ask him/her about it.)