What is considered low carb???

Options
Anyone know?

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It depends on your caloric goal but I always consider under 150gms for me at 1800 calories........so if you were eating 1200 calories closer to 100gms.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to share my input for any specific questions. I've spent quite a few years studying nutrition, and have over a decade of experience in chemistry, physics and biology.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It depends on your caloric goal but I always consider under 150gms for me at 1800 calories........so if you were eating 1200 calories closer to 100gms.

I try to stick to approximately 100 but even just getting that from fresh/raw veggies, yogurt, & a little bit of fruit seems tough (that's not my entire diet but just where I get most of my carbs from). How the heck do you do it?! :laugh: Personally, I find that doing it this way helps my stomach appear flatter and not as "poofy" or "pouchy" so I really would be interested to hear how you stick to that. Thanks!
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    I'd be happy to share my input for any specific questions. I've spent quite a few years studying nutrition, and have over a decade of experience in chemistry, physics and biology.

I guess, I really have no clue where to start asking, because i do not know the differences between good carbs, bad carbs, or if there is even a difference. Feel free to look at my food diary, any suggestions would be great!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com for one guideline for lower carb eating (Primal Blueprint).

I keep my carbs <100 g/day no matter what my calorie limit, follow MFP's calorie recommendations (at first 1.5-2 lb. loss per week, now 0.5 lb. loss per week), and eat my exercise calories. The weight started coming off right away and is still coming off steadily, though more slowly now that I'm nearing goal weight. It's taken 8 months to lose 64 lbs., but I haven't really had a plateau.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    A good carb is one that does not raise your insulin. So, as an example, fiber is a carb that does not raise your insulin. Technicaly speaking, any carbohydrate molecule that is too big to fit through your cell walls will be fine. This is the principal artificial sweeteners use to be sweet, yet not cause problems for diabetics. In reality, the number of carbs needed by the human body are zero. You can survive a long and healthy life without any of them. I know that seems like a radical statement, but you don't have to take my word for it, the science is out there. That being said, there are benefits to including certain ones found in leaf vegetables.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Even radically low carb diets don't recommend "no carb." They just substitute some carbs for others, and overall lower the amount. Yes technically your body doesn't need carbs in the same way as it does other nutrients, but suggesting that one would live a long and healthy life with no carbs is a little disingenuous and presumes a lot about an individual.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Whenever I feel like I want to cut a few carbs, I usually just limit my carb intake. Eating carbs for breakfast or lunch only helps.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    Even radically low carb diets don't recommend "no carb." They just substitute some carbs for others, and overall lower the amount. Yes technically your body doesn't need carbs in the same way as it does other nutrients, but suggesting that one would live a long and healthy life with no carbs is a little disingenuous and presumes a lot about an individual.

You'd be surprised, feel free to follow whatever rules you feel will be healthy. However this is what studies show. Most of the recent "shedding of light" on this topic is proving to unravel what I already have. Just take a look, its in a book ;) actually several.
  • MikeSEA
    Options

You'd be surprised, feel free to follow whatever rules you feel will be healthy. However this is what studies show. Most of the recent "shedding of light" on this topic is proving to unravel what I already have. Just take a look, its in a book ;) actually several.

As a point of clarification, were you suggesting that any information is valid because it calls itself a "study" or manages to get published?
  • digitalsteel
    Options

As a point of clarification, were you suggesting that any information is valid because it calls itself a "study" or manages to get published?

No, I understand your ideal, but I am not your typical "poser" poster. Like I said, the information is out there. Feel free to go over it yourself, you sound like you should be able to tell the difference.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    No, I understand your ideal, but I am not your typical "poser" poster. Like I said, the information is out there. Feel free to go over it yourself, you sound like you should be able to tell the difference.

Well, thanks, I suppose? :)

I guess my point is that the information I've read that even remotely comes close to what you're suggesting amounts to very poor science with questionable conclusions and sloppy methodology. Soooo...if you have something you'd like to share that isn't published by someone with a book or brand to sell, I'm all ears.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I don't know if this will be of help, but these are the journals I have read, I originally lumped them all together for someone else.

Arteaga, A. 1974. “The Nutritional Status of Latin American Adults.” In Nutrition and Agricultural Development, ed. N. S. Scrimshaw and B. Moises, pp. 67–76. New York: Plenum Press. Brownell, K. D., and G. B. Horgen. 2004. Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America’s Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do About It. New York: McGraw-Hill. Caballero, B. 2005. “A Nutrition Paradox—Underweight and Obesity in Developing Countries.” New England Journal of Medicine. Apr 14;352(15): 1514–16. Dobyns, H. F. 1989. The Pima-Maricopa. New York: Chelsea House. Goldblatt, P. B., M. E. Moore, and A. J. Stunkard. 1965. “Social Factors in Obesity.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Jun 21;192:1039–44. Grant, F. W., and D. Groom. 1959. “A Dietary Study Among a Group of Southern Negroes.” Journal of the American Dietetics Association. Sep;35:910–18.Helstosky, C. F. 2004. Garlic and Oil: Food and Politics in Italy. Oxford, U.K.: Berg Publishers. Hrdlika, A. 1908. Physiological and Medical Observations Among the Indians of Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. ——. 1906. “Notes on the Pima of Arizona.” American Anthropologist. Jan–Mar;8(1):39–46. Interdepartmental Commission on Nutrition for National Defense. 1962. Nutrition Survey in the West Indies. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. Johnson, T. O. 1970. “Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity Among Adult Subjects of an Urban African Population Sample.” British Journal of Preventive & Social Medicine. 24;105–9. Keys, A. 1983. “From Naples to Seven Countries—A Sentimental Journey.” Progress in Biochemical Pharmacology. 19:1–30. Kraus, B. R. 1954. Indian Health in Arizona: A Study of Health Conditions Among Central and Southern Arizona Indians. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.McCarthy C. 1966. “Dietary and Activity Patterns of Obese Women in Trinidad.” Journal of the American Dietetics Association. Jan;48:33–37. Nestle, M. 2003. “The Ironic Politics of Obesity.” Science. Feb 7;269(5608):781 Osancova, K. 1975. “Trends of Dietary Intake and Prevalence of Obesity in Czechoslovakia.” In Recent Advances in Obesity Research: I, ed. A. N. Howard, pp. 42–50. Westport, Conn.: Technomic Publishing. Prior, I. A. 1971. “The Price of Civilization.” Nutrition Today. Jul–Aug:2–11. Reichley, K. B., W. H. Mueller, C. L. Hanis, et al. 1987. “Centralized Obesity and Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Mexican Americans.” American Journal of Epidemiology. Mar;125(3):373–86. Richards, R., and M. deCasseres. 1974. “The Problem of Obesity in Developing Countries: Its Prevalence and Morbidity.” In Obesity, ed. W. L. Burland, P. D. Samuel, and J. Yudkin, pp. 74–84. New York: Churchill Livingstone. Seftel, H. C., K. J. Keeley, A. R. Walker, J. J. Theron, and D. Delange. 1965. “Coronary Heart Disease in Aged South African Bantu.” Geriatrics. Mar;20:194–205. Slome, C., B. Gampel, J. H. Abramson, and N. Scotch. 1960. “Weight, Height and Skinfold Thickness of Zulu Adults in Durban.” South African Medical Journal. Jun 11;34:505–9. Stein, J. H., K. M. West, J. M. Robey, D. F. Tirador, and G. W. McDonald. 1965. “The High Prevalence of Abnormal Glucose Tolerance in the Cherokee Indians of North Carolina.” Archives of Internal Medicine. Dec;116(6):842–45. Stene, J. A., and I. L. Roberts. 1928. “A Nutrition Study on an Indian Reservation.” Journal of the American Dietetics Association. Mar;3(4):215–22. Tulloch, J. A. 1962. Diabetes Mellitus in the Tropics. London: Livingstone. Valente, S., A. Arteaga, and J. Santa Maria. 1964. “Obesity in a Developing Country.” In Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress of Nutrition, ed. C. F. Mills and R. Passmore, p. 555. Edinburgh: Livingstone.Dansinger, M. L., A. Tatsioni, W. B. Wong, M. Chung, and E. M. Balk. 2007. “Meta-Analysis: The Effect of Dietary Counseling for Weight Loss.” The Archives of Internal Medicine. Jul 3;147(1):41–50. Howard, B. V., J. E. Manson, M. L. Stefanick, et al. 2006. “Low-Fat Dietary Pattern and Weight Change over 7 Years: The Women’s Health Initiative Dietary Modification Trial.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Jan 4;295(1):39–49. Maratos-Flier, E., and J. S. Flier. 2005. “Obesity.” In Joslin’s Diabetes Mellitus. 14th ed., ed. C. R. Kahn, G. C. Weir, G. L. King, A. C. Moses, R. J. Smith, and A. M. Jacobson, pp. 533–45. Media, Pa.: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Sacks, G. A., G. A. Bray, V. J. Carey, et al. 2009. “Comparison of Weight-Loss Diets with Different Compositions of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates.” New England Journal of Medicine. Feb 26;360(9):859–73. Stunkard, A., and M. McClaren-Hume. 1959. “The Results of Treatment for Obesity: A Review of the Literature and a Report of a Series.” Archives of Internal Medicine. Jan;103(1):79–85. Van Gaal, L. F. 1998. “Dietary Treatment of Obesity.” In Handbook of Obesity, ed. G. A. Bray, C. Bouchard, and W.P.T. James, pp. 875–90. New York: Marcel Dekker.Bennett, W., and J. Gurin. 1982. The Dieter’s Dilemma: Eating Less and Weighing More. New York: Basic Books. Bray, G. A. 1979. Obesity in America. Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, NIH Publication No. 79–359.
    Elia, M. 1992. “Organ and Tissue Contribution to Metabolic Rate.” In Energy Metabolism, ed. J. M. Kinney and H. N. Tucker, pp. 61–79. New York: Raven Press. Fogelholm, M., and K. Kukkonen-Harjula. 2000. “Does Physical Activity Prevent Weight Gain—a Systematic Review.” Obesity Reviews. Oct;1(2):95–111. Gilmore, C. P. 1977. “Taking Exercise to Heart.” New York Times. Mar 27:211. Haskell, W. L., I. M. Lee, R. R. Pate, et al. 2007. “Physical Activity and Public Health: Updated Recommendation for Adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association.” Circulation. Aug 28;116(9):1081–93. Janssen, G. M., C. J. Graef, and W. H. Saris. 1989. “Food Intake and Body Composition in Novice Athletes During a Training Period to Run a Marathon.” International Journal of Sports Medicine. May;10(Suppl 1):S17–S21. Kolata, G. 2004. Ultimate Fitness. New York: Picador. Mayer J. 1968. Overweight: Causes, Cost, and Control. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
    Mayer, J., N. B. Marshall, J. J. Vitale, J. H. Christensen, M. B. Mashayekhi, and F. J. Stare. 1954. “Exercise, Food Intake and Body Weight in Normal Rats and Genetically Obese Adult Mice.” American Journal of Physiology. Jun;177(3):544–48. Mayer, J., P. Roy, and K. P. Mitra. 1956. “Relation Between Caloric Intake, Body Weight, and Physical Work: Studies in an Industrial Male Population in West Bengal.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Mar–Apr;4(2):169–75. Newburgh, L. H. 1942. “Obesity.” Archives of Internal Medicine. Dec;70:1033–96. Rony, H. R. 1940. Obesity and Leanness. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger. Segal, K. R., and F. X. Pi-Sunyer. 1989. “Exercise and Obesity.” Medical Clinics of North America. Jan;73(1):217–36. Stern, J. S., and P. Lowney. 1986. “Obesity: The Role of Physical Activity.” In Handbook of Eating Disorders, ed. K. D Brownell and J. P. Foreyt, pp. 145–58. New York: Basic Books.Williams, P. T., and P. D. Wood. 2006. “The Effects of Changing Exercise Levels on Weight and Age-Related Weight Gain.” International Journal of Obesity. Mar;30(3):543–51.Du Bois, E. F. 1936. Basal Metabolism in Health and Disease. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger.Bergmann, G. von, and F. Stroebe. 1927. “Die Fettsucht.” In Handbuch der Biochemie des Menschen und der Tiere, ed. C. Oppenheimer, pp. 562–98. Jena, Germany: Verlag von Gustav Fischer. Jones, E. 1956. “Progressive Lipodystrophy.” British Medical Journal. Feb 11;4962(1):313–19. Moreno, S., C. Miralles, E. Negredo, et al. 2009. “Disorders of Body Fat Distribution in HIV-1-Infected Patients.” AIDS Review. Jul–Sep;11(3):126–34. Silver, S., and J. Bauer. 1931. “Obesity, Constitutional or Endocrine?” American Journal of Medical Science. 181:769–77.
    Mayer, J. 1954. “Multiple Causative Factors in Obesity.” In Fat Metabolism, ed. V. A. Najjar, pp. 22–43. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. National Institutes of Health. 1998. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report. NIH Publication No. 98–4083. Noorden, C. von. 1907. “Obesity.” Trans. D. Spence. In The Pathology of Metabolism, vol. 3 of Metabolism and Practical Medicine, ed. C. von Noorden and I. W. Hall, pp. 693–715. Chicago: W. Keener.Astwood, E. B. 1962. “The Heritage of Corpulence.” Endocrinology. Aug;71:337–41. Bauer, J. 1947. Constitution and Disease: Applied Constitutional Pathology. New York: Grune & Stratton. Lustig, R. 2006. “Childhood Obesity: Behavioral Aberration or Biochemical Drive? Reinterpreting the First Law of Thermodynamics.” Nature Clinical Practice. Endocrinology & Metabolism. Aug;2(8):447–58. Newburgh, L. H. 1931. “The Cause of Obesity.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Dec 5;97(23):1659–63. Rony, H. R. 1940. Obesity and Leanness. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger.
    Bergmann, G. von, and F. Stroebe. 1927. “Die Fettsucht.” In Handbuch der Biochemie des Menschen und der Tiere, ed. C. Oppenheimer, pp. 562–98. Jena, Germany: Verlag von Gustav Fischer. Björntorp, P. 1997. “Hormonal Control of Regional Fat Distribution.” Human Reproduction. Oct;12 (Suppl 1):21–25. Brooks, C. M. 1946. “The Relative Importance of Changes in Activity in the Development of Experimentally Produced Obesity in the Rat.” American Journal of Physiology. Dec;147:708–16. Greenwood, M. R., M. Cleary, L. Steingrimsdottir, and J. R. Vaselli. 1981. “Adipose Tissue Metabolism and Genetic Obesity.” In Recent Advances in Obesity Research: III, ed. P. Björntorp, M. Cairella, and A. N. Howard, pp. 75–79. London: John Libbey. Hetherington, A. W., and S. W. Ranson. 1942. “The Spontaneous Activity and Food Intake of Rats with Hypothalamic Lesions.” American Journal of Physiology. Jun;136(4):609–17.Mayer, J. 1968. Overweight: Causes, Cost, and Control. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall. Mrosovsky, N. 1976. “Lipid Programmes and Life Strategies in Hibernators.” American Zoologist. 16:685–97. Rebuffé-Scrive, M. 1987. “Regional Adipose Tissue Metabolism in Women During and After Reproductive Life and in Men.” In Recent Advances in Obesity Research: V, ed. E. M. Berry, S. H. Blondheim, H. E. Eliahou, and E. Shafrir, pp. 82–91. London: John Libbey. Wade, G. N., and J. E. Schneider. 1992. “Metabolic Fuels and Reproduction in Female Mammals.” Neuroscience and Behavioral Reviews. Summer;16(2):235–72.Bruch, H. 1973. Eating Disorders: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Person Within. New York: Basic Books. Mayer, J. 1968. Overweight: Causes, Cost, and Control. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall. Rony, H. R. 1940. Obesity and Leanness. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger. Silver, S., and J. Bauer. 1931. “Obesity, Constitutional or Endocrine?” American Journal of Medical Science. 181:769–77. Wilder, R. M., and W. L. Wilbur. 1938. “Diseases of Metabolism and Nutrition.” Archives of Internal Medicine. Feb;61:297–65.Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes Study Group. 2008. “Effects of Intensive Glucose Lowering in Type 2 Diabetes.” New England Journal of Medicine. June 12;358(24):2545–59. Berson, S. A., and R. S. Yalow. 1970. “Insulin ‘Antagonists’ and Insulin Resistance.” In Diabetes Mellitus: Theory and Practice, ed. M. Ellenberg and H. Rifkin, pp. 388–423. New York: McGraw-Hill.Fielding, B. A., and K. N. Frayn. 1998. “Lipoprotein Lipase and the Disposition of Dietary Fatty Acids.” British Journal of Nutrition. Dec;80(6):495–502. Frayn, K. N., F. Karpe, B. A. Fielding, I. A. Macdonald, and S. W. Coppack. 2003. “Integrative Physiology of Human Adipose Tissue.” International Journal of Obesity. Aug;27(8):875–88. Friedman, M. I., and E. M. Stricker. 1976. “The Physiological Psychology of Hunger: A Physiological Perspective.” Psychological Review. Nov;83(6): 409–31. Le Magnen, J. 1984. “Is Regulation of Body Weight Elucidated?” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Review. Winter;8(4):515–22. Newsholme, E. A., and C. Start. 1973. Regulation in Metabolism. New York: John Wiley. Nussey, S. S., and S. A. Whitehead. 2001. Endocrinology: An Integrated Approach. London: Taylor & Francis. Renold, A. E., O. B. Crofford, W. Stauffacher, and B. Jeanreaud. 1965. “Hormonal Control of Adipose Tissue Metabolism: With Special Reference to the Effects of Insulin.” Diabetologia.Rosenzweig, J. L. 1994. “Principles of Insulin Therapy.” In Joslin’s Diabetes Mellitus, 13th ed., ed. C. R. Kahn and G. C. Weir, pp. 460–88. Media, Pa.: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Wertheimer, E., and R. Shapiro. 1948. “The Physiology of Adipose Tissue.” Physiological Reviews. Oct;28:451–64. Wood, P. A. 2006. How Fat Works. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.Bluher, M., B. B. Kahn, and C. R. Kahn. 2003. “Extended Longevity in Mice Lacking the Insulin Receptor in Adipose Tissue.” Science. Jan 24;299 (5606):572–74. Dabalea, D. 2007. “The Predisposition to Obesity and Diabetes in Offspring of Diabetic Mothers.” Diabetes Care. July;30(Suppl 2):S169–S174. Dabelea, D., W. C. Knowler, and D. J. Pettitt. 2000. “Effect of Diabetes in Pregnancy on Offspring: Follow-Up Research in the Pima Indians.” Journal of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Jan–Feb;9(1):83–88.DeFronzo, R. A. 1997. “Insulin Resistance: A Multifaceted Syndrome Responsible for NIDDM, Obesity, Hypertension, Dyslipidaemia and Atherosclerosis.” Netherlands Journal of Medicine. May;50(5):191–97. Kim, J., K. E. Peterson, K. S. Scanlon, et al. 2006. “Trends in Overweight from 1980 through 2001 Among Preschool-Aged Children Enrolled in a Health Maintenance Organization.” Obesity. July;14(7):1107–12. McGarry, D. J. 1992. “What If Minkowski Had Been Ageusic? An Alternative Angle on Diabetes.” Science. Oct 30;258(5083):766–770. McGowan, C. A., and F. M. McAuliffe. 2010. “The Influence of Maternal Glycaemia and Dietary Glycaemic Index on Pregnancy Outcome in Healthy Mothers.” British Journal of Nutrition. Mar 23:1–7. Metzger, B. E. 2007. “Long-Term Outcomes in Mothers Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus and Their Offspring.” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dec;50(4):972–79. Neel, J. V. 1982. “The Thrifty Genotype Revisited.” In The Genetics of Diabetes Mellitus. ed. J. Köbberling and R. Tattersall, pp. 283–93. New York: Academic Press.Jenkins, D. J., C. W. Kendall, L. S. Augustin, et al. 2002. “Glycemic Index: Overview of Implications in Health and Disease.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Jul;76(1):266S–73S. Johnson, R. K., L. J. Appel, M. Brands, et al. 2009. “Dietary Sugars Intake and Cardiovascular Health: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association.” Circulation. Sep 15;120(11):1011–20. Mayes, P. A. 1993. “Intermediary Metabolism of Fructose.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Nov;58(Suppl 5):754S–65S. Stanhope, K. L., and P. J. Havel. 2008. “Endocrine and Metabolic Effects of Consuming Beverages Sweetened with Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, or High-Fructose Corn Syrup.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Dec;88(6):1733S–37S. Stanhope, K. L., J. M. Schwarz, N. L. Keim, et al. 2009. “Consuming Fructose-Sweetened, Not Glucose-Sweetened, Beverages Increases Visceral Adiposity and Lipids and Decreases Insulin Sensitivity in Overweight/Obese Humans.” Journal of Clinical Investigation. May 1;119(5):1322–34.
    Avena, N. M., P. Rava, and B. G. Hoebel. 2008. “Evidence for Sugar Addiction: Behavioral and Neurochemical Effects of Intermittent, Excessive Sugar Intake.” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 32(1):20–39. Le Magnen, J. 1985. Hunger. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Gardner, C. D., A. Kiazand, S. Alhassan, et al. 2007. “Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women: The A TO Z Weight Loss Study, a Randomized Trial.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Mar 7;297(9):969–77. Ornish, D. 1996. “Very Low-Fat Diets for Coronary Heart Disease: Perhaps, but Which One?—Reply.” Jounal of the American Medical Association. May 8;275(18):1403.Anon. 1973. “A Critique of Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Weight Reduction Regimens: A Review of ‘Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution.’ ” Journal of the American Medical Association. Jun 4;224(10):1415–19. Anon. 1995. An Eating Plan for Healthy Americans: The American Heart Association Diet. Dallas: American Heart Association. Apfelbaum, M., ed. 1973. Regulation de l’équilibre énergetique chez l’homme. [Energy Balance in Man.] Paris: Masson et Cie. Banting, W. 2005. Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public. 4th ed. London: Harrison. Republished New York: Cosimo Publishing. [Originally published in 1864.] Borders, W. 1965. “New Diet Decried by Nutritionists; Dangers Are Seen in Low Carbohydrate Intake.” New York Times. July 7:16. Bray, G. A., ed. 1976. Obesity in Perspective. DHEW Pub No. (NIH) 76–852. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.Bruch, H. 1957. The Importance of Overweight. New York: W. W. Norton. Burland, W. L., P. D. Samuel, and J. Yudkin, eds. 1974. Obesity. New York: Churchill Livingstone. Cutting, W. C. 1943. “The Treatment of Obesity.” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology. Feb;3(2):85–88. Dancel, J. F. 1864. Obesity, or Excessive Corpulence: The Various Causes and the Rational Means of Cure. Trans. M. Barrett. Toronto: W. C. Chewett. Davidson, S., and R. Passmore. 1963. Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: E.&S. Livingstone. French, J. M. 1907. A Text-Book of the Practice of Medicine, for Students and Practitioners. 3rd, rev. ed. New York: William Wood. Gardiner-Hill, H. 1925. “The Treatment of Obesity.” Lancet. Nov 14;206(5333):1034–35.Greene, R., ed. 1951. The Practice of Endocrinology. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott. Hanssen, P. 1936. “Treatment of Obesity by a Diet Relatively Poor in Carbohydrates.” Acta Medica Scandinavica. 88:97–106. Harvey, W. 1872. On Corpulence in Relation to Disease: With Some Remarks on Diet. London: Henry Renshaw. Hastings, M. 2008. Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944–45. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. Krehl, W. A., A. Lopez, E. I. Good, and R. E. Hodges. 1967. “Some Metabolic Changes Induced by Low Carbohydrate Diets.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Feb;20(2):139–48. LaRosa, J. C., A. Gordon, R. Muesing, and D. R. Rosing. 1980. “Effects of High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Dieting on Plasma Lipoproteins and Body Weight.” Journal of the American Dietetics Association. Sep;77(3):264–70. Leith, W. 1961. “Experiences with the Pennington Diet in the Management of Obesity.” Canadian Medical Association Journal. Jun 24;84:1411–14.Milch, L. J., W. J. Walker, and N. Weiner. 1957. “Differential Effect of Dietary Fat and Weight Reduction on Serum Levels of Beta-Lipoproteins.” Circulation. Jan;15(1):31–34. Ohlson, M. A., W. D. Brewer, D. Kereluk, A. Wagoner, and D. C. Cederquist. 1955. “Weight Control Through Nutritionally Adequate Diets.” In Weight Control: A Collection of Papers Presented at the Weight Control Colloquium, ed. E. S. Eppright, P. Swanson, and C. A. Iverson, pp. 170–87. Ames: Iowa State College Press. Osler, W. 1901. The Principles and Practice of Medicine. New York: D. Appleton. Palmgren, B., and B. Sjövall. 1957. “Studier Rörande Fetma: IV, Forsook Med Pennington-Diet.” Nordisk Medicin. 28(iii):457–58. Passmore, R., and Y. E. Swindells. 1963. “Observations on the Respiratory Quotients and Weight Gain of Man After Eating Large Quantities of Carbohydrate.” British Journal of Nutrition. 17:331–39.Pennington, A. W. 1954. “Treatment of Obesity: Developments of the Past 150 Years.” American Journal of Digestive Diseases. Mar;21(3):65–69. ——. 1953. “A Reorientation on Obesity.” New England Journal of Medicine. Jun 4;248(23):959–64. ——. 1951. “Caloric Requirements of the Obese.” Industrial Medicine & Surgery. Jun;20(6):267–71. ——. 1951. “The Use of Fat in a Weight Reducing Diet.” Delaware State Medical Journal. Apr;23(4):79–86. ——. 1949. “Obesity in Industry—The Problem and Its Solution.” Industrial Medicine. June: 259–60. Reader, G., R. Melchionna, L. E. Hinkle, et al. 1952. “Treatment of Obesity.” American Journal of Medicine. 13(4):478–86. Rilliet, B. 1954. “Treatment of Obesity by a Low-calorie Diet: Hanssen-Boller-Pennington Diet.” Praxis. Sep 9;43(36):761–63. Silverstone, J. T., and F. Lockhead. 1963. “The Value of a ‘Low Carbohydrate’ Diet in Obese Diabetics.” Metabolism. Aug;12(8):710–13.Spock, B. 1985. Baby and Child Care. 5th ed. New York: Pocket Books. ——. 1976. Baby and Child Care. 4th ed. New York: Hawthorne Books. ——. 1968. Baby and Child Care. 3rd ed. New York: Meredith Press. ——. 1957. The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care. 2nd ed. New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce. ——. 1946. The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care. New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce. Spock, B., and M. B. Rothenberg. 1992. Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care. 6th ed. New York: E. P. Dutton. Steiner, M. M. 1950. “The Management of Obesity in Childhood.” Medical Clinics of North America. Jan;34(1):223–34. Tanner, T. H. 1869. The Practice of Medicine. 6th ed. London: Henry Renshaw. Williams, R. H., W. H. Daughaday, W. F. Rogers, S. P. Asper, and B. T. Towery. 1948. “Obesity and Its Treatment, with Particular Reference to the Use of Anorexigenic Compounds.” Annals of Internal Medicine. 29(3):510–32. Anon. 1899. “The Month.” Practitioner. 62:369. Cited in R. N. Proctor, Cancer Wars. New York: Basic Books: 1995. Burkitt, D. P., and H. C. Trowell, eds. 1975. Refined Carbohydrate Foods and Disease: Some Implications of Dietary Fibre. New York: Academic Press. Cleave, T. L., and G. D. Campbell. 1966. Diabetes, Coronary Thrombosis and the Saccharine Disease. Bristol, U.K.: John Wright & Sons. Cordain, L., J. B. Miller, S. B. Eaton, N. Mann, S. H. Holt, and J. D. Speth. 2000. “Plant-Animal Subsistence Ratios and Macronutrient Energy Estimations in Worldwide Hunter-Gatherer Diets.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Mar;71(3):682–92.Donaldson, B. F. 1962. Strong Medicine. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday. Higginson, J. 1997. “From Geographical Pathology to Environmental Carcinogenesis: A Historical Reminiscence.” Cancer Letters. 117:133–42. Levin, I. 1910. “Cancer Among the North American Indians and Its Bearing Upon the Ethnological Distribution of Disease.” Zeitschrift für Krebfoschung. Oct;9(3):422–35. Pollan, M. 2008. In Defense of Food. New York: Penguin Press. Rose, G. 1985. “Sick Individuals and Sick Populations.” International Journal of Epidemiology. Mar;14(1);32–38. ——. 1981. “Strategy of Prevention: Lessons from Cardiovascular Disease.” British Medical Journal. Jun 6;282(6279):1847–51. Trowell, H. C., and D. P. Burkitt, eds. 1981. Western Diseases: Their Emergence and Prevention. London: Edward Arnold.
    Basu, T. K., and C. J. Schlorah. 1982. Vitamin C in Health and Disease. Westport, Conn.: Avi Publishing. Bode, A. M. 1997. “Metabolism of Vitamin C in Health and Disease.” Advanced Pharmacology. 38:21–47. Bravata, D. M., L. Sanders, J. Huang, et al. 2003. “Efficacy and Safety of Low-Carbohydrate Diets: A Systematic Review.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Apr 9;289(14):1837–50. Brehm, B. J., R. J. Seeley, S. R. Daniels, and D. A. D’Alessio. 2003. “A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women.” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Apr;88(4):1617–23. Calle, E. E., and R. Kaaks. 2004. “Overweight, Obesity and Cancer: Epidemiological Evidence and Proposed Mechanisms.” Nature Reviews Cancer. Aug;4(8):579–91. Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. 2002. “(Adult Treatment Panel III) Final report.” Circulation. Dec 17;106(25):3143–3421.
    Cunningham, J. J. 1998. “The Glucose/Insulin System and Vitamin C: Implications in Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.” Journal of the American College of Nutrition. Apr;17(20):105–8. ——. 1988. “Altered Vitamin C Transport in Diabetes Mellitus.” Medical Hypotheses. Aug;26(4):263–65. Ernst, N. D., and R. I. Levy. 1984. “Diet and Cardiovascular Disease.” In Present Knowledge in Nutrition, 5th ed., ed. R. E. Olson, H. P. Broquist, C. O. Chichester, et al., pp. 724–39. Washington, D.C.: Nutrition Foundation. Ford, E. S., A. H. Mokdad, W. H. Giles, and D. W. Brown. 2003. “The Metabolic Syndrome and Antioxidant Concentrations: Findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.” Diabetes. Sep;52(9): 2346–52. Foster, G. D., H. R. Wyatt, J. O. Hill, et al. 2010. “Weight and Metabolic Outcomes After 2 Years on a Low-Carbohydrate Versus Low-Fat Diet. A Randomized Trial.” Annals of Internal Medicine. Aug 3;153(3):147–57.
    Freeman, J. M., E. H. Kossoff, and A. L. Hartman. 2007. “The Ketogenic Diet: One Decade Later.” Pediatrics. Mar;119(3):535–43. Gardner, C. D., A. Kiazand, S. Alhassan, et al. 2007. “Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women: The A TO Z Weight Loss Study, a Randomized Trial.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Mar 7;297(9):969–77. Godsland, I. F. 2009. “Insulin Resistance and Hyperinsulinaemia in the Development and Progression of Cancer.” Clinical Science. Nov 23;118(5):315–32. Harris, M. 1985. Good to Eat: Riddles of Food and Culture. New York: Simon and Schuster. Hession, M., C. Rolland, U. Kulkarni, A. Wise, and J. Broom. 2009. “Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials of Low-Carbohydrate vs. Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Diets in the Management of Obesity and Its Comorbidities.” Obesity Reviews. Jan;10(1):36–50.
    Howard, B. V., L. Van Horn, J. Hsia, et al. 2006. “Low-Fat Dietary Pattern and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: The Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Feb 8;295(6):655–66. Katan, M. B. 2009. “Weight-Loss Diets for the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity.” New England Journal of Medicine. Feb 26;360(9):923–25. Kuklina, E. V., P. W. Yoon, and N. L. Keenan. 2009. “Trends in High Levels of Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in the United States, 1999–2006.” Journal of the American Medical Association. Nov 18;302(19):2104–10. Luchsinger, J. A., and D. R. Gustafson. 2009. “Adiposity, Type 2 Diabetes, and Alzheimer’s Disease.” Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. Apr;16(4):693–704. Maher, P. A., and D. R. Schubert. 2009. “Metabolic Links Between Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease.” Expert Reviews of Neurotherapeutics. Oct;111(2): 332–43. Neal, E. G., and J. H. Cross. 2010. “Efficacy of Dietary Treatments for Epilepsy.” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. Apr;23(2):113–19. Packard, C. J. 2006. “Small Dense Low-Density Lipoprotein and Its Role as an Independent Predictor of Cardiovascular Disease.” Current Opinions in Lipidology. Aug;17(4):412–17. Sacks, G. A., G. A. Bray, V. J. Carey, et al. 2009. “Comparison of Weight-Loss Diets with Different Compositions of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates.” New England Journal of Medicine. Feb 26;360(9):859–73. Samaha, F. F., N. Iqubal, P. Seshadri, et al. 2003. “A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity.” New England Journal of Medicine. May 22;348(21):2074–81. Seyfried, B. T., M. Klebish, J. Marsh, and P. Mukherjee. 2009. “Targeting Energy Metabolism in Brain Cancer Through Calorie Restriction and the Ketogenic Diet.” Journal of Cancer Research Therapy. Sep;5(Suppl 1):S7–S15. Shai, I., D. Schwarzfuchs, Y. Henkin, et al. 2008. “Weight Loss with a Low-Carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or Low-Fat Diet.” New England Journal of Medicine. Jul 17;359(3):229–41.Siri, P. M., and R. M. Krauss. 2005. “Influence of Dietary Carbohydrate and Fat on LDL and HDL Particle Distributions.” Current Atherosclerosis Reports. Nov;7(6):455–59. Skeaff, C. M., and J. Miller. 2009. “Dietary Fat and Coronary Heart Disease: Summary of Evidence from Prospective Cohort and Randomised Controlled Trials.” Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism. 55(1–3):173–201. Sondike, S. B., N. Copperman, and M. S. Jacobson. 2003. “Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss and Cardiovascular Risk Factor in Overweight Adolescents.” Journal of Pediatrics. Mar;142(3):253–58. Will, J. C., and T. Byers. 1996. “Does Diabetes Mellitus Increase the Requirement for Vitamin C?” Nutrition Reviews. Jul;54(7):193–202. Wilson, P. W., and J. B. Meigs. 2008. “Cardiometabolic Risk: a Framingham Perspective.” International Journal of Obesity. May;32(Suppl 2):S17–S20. World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research. 2007. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington, D.C.: American Institute for Cancer Research.Allan, C. B., and W. Lutz. 2000. Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life. New York: McGraw-Hill. Kemp, R. 1972. “The Over-All Picture of Obesity.” Practitioner. Nov;209:654–60. ——. 1966. “Obesity as a Disease.” Practitioner. Mar;196:404–9. ——. 1963. “Carbohydrate Addiction.” Practitioner. Mar;190:358–364. Lecheminant, J. D., C. A. Gibson, D. K. Sullivan, et al. 2007. “Comparison of a Low Carbohydrate and Low Fat Diet for Weight Maintenance in Overweight or Obese Adults Enrolled in a Clinical Weight Management Program.” Nutrition Journal. Nov 1;6:36.Phinney, S. D. “Ketogenic Diets and Physical Performance.” Nutrition & Metabolism. Aug 17;1(1):2. Sidbury, J. B., Jr., and R. P. Schwartz. 1975. A Program for Weight Reduction in Children. In Childhood Obesity, ed. P. Collip, pp. 65–74: Acton, Mass.: Publishing Sciences Group. Westman, E. C., W. S. Yancy, J. C. Mavropoulos, M. Marquart, J. R. McDuffie. 2008. “The Effect of a Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Glycemic Index Diet on Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.” Nutrition and Metabolism. Dec 19;5:36. Westman, E. C., W. S. Yancy, M. K. Olsen, T. Dudley, J. R. Guyton. 2006. “Effect of a Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Program Compared to a Low-Fat Diet on Fasting Lipoprotein Subclasses.” International Journal of Cardiology. June 16;110(2):212–16.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    I'm sorry, is a wall of text lacking any contextual analysis supposed to signify something other than you can use a search function?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    A good carb is one that does not raise your insulin. So, as an example, fiber is a carb that does not raise your insulin. Technicaly speaking, any carbohydrate molecule that is too big to fit through your cell walls will be fine. This is the principal artificial sweeteners use to be sweet, yet not cause problems for diabetics. In reality, the number of carbs needed by the human body are zero. You can survive a long and healthy life without any of them. I know that seems like a radical statement, but you don't have to take my word for it, the science is out there. That being said, there are benefits to including certain ones found in leaf vegetables.

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Good question! I like to think I am mostly low carb (I don't eat pasta rice potatoes etc) but I have read the atkins diet recommends about 50grams of carbs a day. I seem to average about 100! I don't know if I should be reducing my carbs, it just seems in order to do that I'd need to exclude some of the fruit & veg I am eating, and also milk (which would mean I'd have to give up coffee, which I'd find really really hard to do).
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any general consensus, even among the various low carb diet proponents, about what exactly is the cut off which make a diet "low carb". Many low carb diets start with an introductory period where you keep carbs at approximately 20 grams/day or less. You can then gradually move to higher levels according to what your metabolism can support. I think for most people 100 grams/day of CHO, which is 400 calories or about 25%of a 1600 calorie/day diet is still considered low carb.

I think equally important to the question of how many carbs you consume is the issue of the type of carbs you eat. Eating carbs like sugars and many starches which quickly raise your blood sugar and in turn cause insulin spikes is much worse for you, imo, than eating carbs in the form of green vegetables. For example, you can eat a huge amount of avocados, artichokes, and asparagus and not generate nearly the same level of insulin response as when eating a proportionally much smaller amount of white bread. </$.02>
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I'm sorry, is a wall of text lacking any contextual analysis supposed to signify something other than you can use a search function?

Wow, you really are not at the level I was expecting. How can you argue anything without understanding ALL the information. If I flip a coin 100 times, and withhold the answer half the time, I can convince you I have a coin with 2 heads. You need to be much better than that.
  • MikeSEA
    Options

Wow, you really are not at the level I was expecting. How can you argue anything without understanding ALL the information. If I flip a coin 100 times, and withhold the answer half the time, I can convince you I have a coin with 2 heads. You need to be much better than that.

You haven't presented any relevant sources of information yet. Quite frankly, given the formatting, I highly doubt you compiled that list yourself.

Have fun selling snake oil to the public, skippy.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Just as a point of clarification there is a pretty large and active group of zero carb dieters out there. If you check some of the low carb forums like lowcarber.org you'll find plenty of them (look for M Levac). The ones I've interacted with are perfectly happy with their WOE. I believe that you would be making a poor assumption to think that they have not studied the relevant research and understand the science of their diet choice.

I personally would not choose to go zero carb, but since your body has no physiological need for carbs is it definitely possible and many people do make that choice. I try to keep my carb total in the 20 to 100 gram range per day but typically it is in the lower end of the range.

Please feel free to now resume the p*ssing match with the other fellow.
This discussion has been closed.