Sure I am gonna get ripped apart..but so what?

Options
2»

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Just venting. I am by no means excusing jerks or mean ppl. But here's what I don't understand. When u sign up for a weight loss website ppl are trying to lose weight right? So why wouldn't you take the avdice of someone that is where u wanna be. I just saying Everybody doesn't sugarcoat. that doesn't mean you should blow them off. They might know some useful info.

#just wondering or wandering to be honest I really suck at english and don't know the difference.

I think people will CONSIDER ADVICE, but there are a LOT of people that ACTUALLY Believe that THEIR WAY is the RIGHT Way and ONLY Way. They are extremely Narrow Minded. See, the UNIQUE thing about the Human Body is that the "System" functions basically the same but the RESULTS are as Unique as each of our Finger Prints. So, no matter how someone puts it out to you, some people still don't understand Weight Loss, Healthy Eating/Living, people health issues and health issues they are trying to avoid, Health Goals, Maintenance, Activities, Active Lifestyle, and /or Exercise Routine are VERY Individual (If I ate back My exercise routine calories I would NEVER lose a pound or if I had an exercise routine more than 3 times a week, I would be in great pain and I would actually gain weight because I would get toooo hungry and go off of My Eating Plan...)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    For some reason, when I read "I am gonna get ripped apart" I thought of:

w221950346.jpg

Anyway, for the most part, those who want immediate answers to their questions, without prior research, seem to get the most asinine of answers. The way I see it, one receives the same amount of effort, in response to that question, that they put forth into asking.

Simply put: ask an unintelligible question, get an unintelligible answer.

I like to answer with pictures. Makes it easier to read.
    That is a really funny picture.
  • getitamb
    Options
    You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Chin up! If they don't want your advice, it's their loss :happy:
    thank you. How did you do that with your avatar? That is cool.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I wander a lot

then I wonder why I wander a lot?

LOL

Now my 2 cents:
    I love this quote: "Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more then its worth". -Sunscreen song -Baz Luhrmann

Everyone has to travel their own journey. The great thing about advice is that you can take it or leave it. If someone is saying "Look at me, do as I do" I would consider some of the things they say. But if we are talking about “sugar-coating” it, I think a lot of people who have been successful sometimes have selective memory. I am sure they had setbacks and made mistakes along the way and that was part of their learning process. I also understand they have great intentions when they are trying to teach others to not make those same mistakes...but again, its part of that person's journey. If you take that away then maybe they wont learn and or stay successful.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that some people who have big muscles or lost a lot of weight have no clue what they're talking about. There was a guy in here not that long ago saying that eating 3 meals a day instead of 6 was why the US had an obesity problem. The guy was in good shape too. Moral of the story:

-Anyone can get into good shape
    -You can't fix stupid

If you post advice for people that is well backed by literature, science and common knowledge.....well, you did your part. If people don't listen then they're most likely waiting for the "take this pill and it'll fix your problems" approach. In that case, run away as quickly as possible.

See, to Me, YOUR response is just as BAD as the Person you are talking about...There is NOT a lot of anything DEFINITIVE in Nutrition. Truthfully, if I REALLY wanted to learn about GOOD Nutrition the LAST place I would look to is the USA. One thing you are right about...WE/USA have a lot of Literature on the subject...AND that is what it is "a bunch of written JUNK!" There are "Diets" up the wazzooo, "Nutritionist galore, Exercise Gurus...ALL Marketing JUNK for AMERICA, even the Foods we buy are a Marketing Ploy. Do you know why some people began eating 6 small meals...because they had ulcers or hernias or diverticulosis or other digestive/colon problems that out of NECESSITY they have to eat that way; Do you know where the 3 Squares come from>>>The Agrarian Age, when people/cultures worked like Beasts of Burdens in the fields and needed that nutrition and calories just to sustain them. "We" sit our fat azzez in a chair all day and have an exercise routine 3-5 days a week for an hour or two and we eat 2000-2200 calories per day OR MORE and think we are going to be or Remain slim and healthy.

GET REAL, YOU nor anyone else have any REAL Knowledge about Nutrition...People should find what fits for them and LOOK at OTHER HEALTHY Cultures/Countries and see what THEY are doing. The Know it all American/Western European FAT Cultures know SQUAT about Nutrition and Preventative Health. Think about this, IF YOU TRAVEL>>>I have Never seen a FAT Jamaican IN Jamaica or a FAT Chinese person in Beijing...BUT if they come to American and Buy into "Our" Culture and eat "our Food" they will BLOW up in less than 2 years.

So YOU ain't passing no knowledge, all you and the other THINK-They- Know- It -Alls are passing on is a Confident level of IGNORANCE that May work for YOU Right Now!
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a philosophy when it comes to giving advice, if it is something I have experienced for myself I will tell you I tried this and it either did or didn’t work for me. If it is something I have read but have no personal experience with I will tell you that as well. If it is an opinion you are looking for I will give it and state that it is mho and it and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. If you take my advice and it works for you, Great; if you take my advice and it doesn’t work… well it came with no guarantee. If I tell you something is hot and you touch it… well I’ll say see I told you it was hot, but will I get upset that you do or don’t follow my advice… No! I have too much going on in my life to get bent out of shape over being ignored. Sooooo all in all… live life, be happy and if you give advice and it helps someone then awesome, if you give advice and they don’t take it… don’t get upset, just smile and say thanks for asking…
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    See, to Me, YOUR response is just as BAD as the Person you are talking about...There is NOT a lot of anything DEFINITIVE in Nutrition. Truthfully, if I REALLY wanted to learn about GOOD Nutrition the LAST place I would look to is the USA. One thing you are right about...WE/USA have a lot of Literature on the subject...AND that is what it is "a bunch of written JUNK!" There are "Diets" up the wazzooo, "Nutritionist galore, Exercise Gurus...ALL Marketing JUNK for AMERICA, even the Foods we buy are a Marketing Ploy. Do you know why some people began eating 6 small meals...because they had ulcers or hernias or diverticulosis or other digestive/colon problems that out of NECESSITY they have to eat that way; Do you know where the 3 Squares come from>>>The Agrarian Age, when people/cultures worked like Beasts of Burdens in the fields and needed that nutrition and calories just to sustain them. "We" sit our fat azzez in a chair all day and have an exercise routine 3-5 days a week for an hour or two and we eat 2000-2200 calories per day OR MORE and think we are going to be or Remain slim and healthy.

GET REAL, YOU nor anyone else have any REAL Knowledge about Nutrition...People should find what fits for them and LOOK at OTHER HEALTHY Cultures/Countries and see what THEY are doing. The Know it all American/Western European FAT Cultures know SQUAT about Nutrition and Preventative Health. Think about this, IF YOU TRAVEL>>>I have Never seen a FAT Jamaican IN Jamaica or a FAT Chinese person in Beijing...BUT if they come to American and Buy into "Our" Culture and eat "our Food" they will BLOW up in less than 2 years.

So YOU ain't passing no knowledge, all you and the other THINK-They- Know- It -Alls are passing on is a Confident level of IGNORANCE that May work for YOU Right Now!

It sounds like I struck a nerve. I'll try to decipher your message here but I'll be honest, it's hard to do because I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll use bullet points though:

a) If you want nutrition knowledge, the last place to look is the USA? What does that even mean? So because we have an obesity problem, we don't lead the world in science? Crazy concept of the day: There are hundreds of universities that are constantly running scientific studies on nutrition and exercise. These studies then get posted and reviewed by other universities that have similar studies. When enough studies come out that point to the same thing, we get an idea on how something works. This is the basis of science. A hypothesis followed by observation.

b) No one is talking about junk diets when suggesting that you read the literature. I like your extremism though. Because there are crappy books out there that spout nonsense, we should ignore authors who know what they're talking about. Sounds legit.

c) The last part of your first paragraph sounds like some sort of zealot ranting. Who cares if people eat 3 or 6 meals a day? If you read my actual post....let me say that again....IF YOU READ MY ACTUAL POST, you'll see that the reason I brought it up was because eating 3 vs 6 meals a day isn't the cause of obesity.

d) Get real, I, nor anyone else, has any real knowledge about nutrition? Ok....except I went to school for exercise and nutrition and got a degree in it. Does that make me an expert? No. However, it does arm me with the knowledge on the basics of how the body works and reacts to certain things. That beats the "hey, I cut out X food from my diet and lost 50 pounds so it MUST work" approach to dieting.

e) Your culture rant doesn't really mean anything either. Cool, there are less fat people in other countries. So? People in other countries eat less and are more active. It's not rocket science, this is basic common sense.

f) I'm not sure how you got the idea that I'm some sort of know-it-all when I suggest that people follow a scientific approach to their diet. If anything, it's anti-know-it-all because it suggests that people follow the advice of the broader scientific community as opposed to what I might happen to think. The only "IGNORANCE" here so far is your rant-worthy post that has nothing of substance whatsoever.

edit: And for the laughs, your profile picture says "love"

So where's the love?
  • getitamb
    Options

It sounds like I struck a nerve. I'll try to decipher your message here but I'll be honest, it's hard to do because I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll use bullet points though:

a) If you want nutrition knowledge, the last place to look is the USA? What does that even mean? So because we have an obesity problem, we don't lead the world in science? Crazy concept of the day: There are hundreds of universities that are constantly running scientific studies on nutrition and exercise. These studies then get posted and reviewed by other universities that have similar studies. When enough studies come out that point to the same thing, we get an idea on how something works. This is the basis of science. A hypothesis followed by observation.

b) No one is talking about junk diets when suggesting that you read the literature. I like your extremism though. Because there are crappy books out there that spout nonsense, we should ignore authors who know what they're talking about. Sounds legit.

c) The last part of your first paragraph sounds like some sort of zealot ranting. Who cares if people eat 3 or 6 meals a day? If you read my actual post....let me say that again....IF YOU READ MY ACTUAL POST, you'll see that the reason I brought it up was because eating 3 vs 6 meals a day isn't the cause of obesity.

d) Get real, I, nor anyone else, has any real knowledge about nutrition? Ok....except I went to school for exercise and nutrition and got a degree in it. Does that make me an expert? No. However, it does arm me with the knowledge on the basics of how the body works and reacts to certain things. That beats the "hey, I cut out X food from my diet and lost 50 pounds so it MUST work" approach to dieting.

e) Your culture rant doesn't really mean anything either. Cool, there are less fat people in other countries. So? People in other countries eat less and are more active. It's not rocket science, this is basic common sense.

f) I'm not sure how you got the idea that I'm some sort of know-it-all when I suggest that people follow a scientific approach to their diet. If anything, it's anti-know-it-all because it suggests that people follow the advice of the broader scientific community as opposed to what I might happen to think. The only "IGNORANCE" here so far is your rant-worthy post that has nothing of substance whatsoever.

So where's the love?
    I noticed the love thing too. I thought it was really funny.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have been here very long to have seen some of the people that some people call mean or harsh have developed their style for a reason.

People will, with hair on fire, beg for help and state they've "tried everything" someone will look at their diary and see they ate nothing but a McDonald's hot fudge sundae and an organic nut butter sandwich for three successive days, or they'll declare that they're only gonna drink protein shakes. They'll ask for advice about these assinine behaviors. Then people will respond. I have made friends who are snarky through these threads. Because my friends would answer reasonably and caringly but also with a mirror to say this id the crazy thing you're doing. Look how crazy it is!

Then all heck breaks loose because though they asked for advice and input, who are you to give me advice and inpit I don't like? . Then they start calling names and people get huffy and everyone is attacking me. Its madness and it gets deleted.

Then the next day or the day after someone starts a thread like that again then again. And then again
    Answers get more and more blunt. Or funny because we've been to this dance befor. Is it sometimes a little harsh? Perhaps. But then someone comes on and tsk tsks people for answering the question not as solicitously as they think should have been and feed into the person's hair on fire drama. Which adds to the frustration, and maybe fuels more snark than would've been.

Me? You ask a question don't blame me if the answer isn't what you'd hoped. Or ask the question and indicate what answers are allowed. But truthfully, sometimes the answer to our problems lies within ourselves.
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    I don't sugar coat anything. Too many carbs...

Haha.... truth!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    People make posts and only listen to the answers they wanna hear. Makes no freaking sense.
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options

So where's the love?
    I noticed the love thing too. I thought it was really funny.

Hahahhahahahha