flipside of boys acting masculine, girls acting feminine?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it as long as it's what the girl wants and not what they feel like they are supposed to do because they are women.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    I dont fault people either way ... My wife worked before the kids came along and made the choice to be at stay at home mom.. Both paths have different rewards and challenges. In addition to staying home weve chosen to home school our 2 girls ( 8 and 11) so shes as busy as she would be working a 9 to 5 .. it all comes down to what you want to work towards..
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    ladies, does it bother you when you hear a woman aspire to be a stay-at-home mom instead of working a career? several of my friends feel offended by it because 'it's not the 50s; women can do more than that now'. how do you feel about schools teaching girls how to cook and sew (a lost art)?

The beauty of modern day is that I think women can choose to do what they wish to do and it seems to me that many different lifestyles are being accepted now. A woman can choose to stay home with kids or work and it seems to be okay (by the general masses).

I think what's important is that a woman never gets so comfortable as to ever completely depend on a man monetarily. Nothing is guaranteed in life, I say that having been married to my husband for 10 years. A woman should never be in a position to feel like if her husband/man left or if she wanted out, that it would ruin her life's stability.

What she said.

As far as schools teaching sewing and cooking, as far as I know they still do. My son took home ec classes in high school even though he already knew how to cook (he's 25 now). He enjoyed sewing. I wish my daughter could be a stay at home mom and home school her kids but unfortunately both her and her husband have to work.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Before I had my 2nd child, I always thought that I could NEVER stay home. I was literally going crazy after 4 weeks of maternity leave. Checking my emails constantly, calling coworkers several times a week. I needed the adult interaction. Now, however, I feel like my kids need me. I don't think I'd be able to stay at home full time, I'd need to stay busy maybe volunteering at my kids school, but I'd love to be able to pick them up from school and spend some quality time together. Now it's hurry up and do homework, hurry up and eat dinner, hurry up and take a shower and go to bed. I'm not enjoying my kids and I really wish I could.

I think if someone has the option to stay home and they want to, then that's great, regardless of which parent it is. As far as the whole home-ec topic, I think everyone should learn everything. All kids should learn to cook, clean, do laundry, balance a checkbook, change the oil, change a flat, etc. I fully believe in having the ability to be independent.

Now all I need is to win the lottery so I can work part time and be able to pick up my kids right after school. :smile:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I wanna be a trophy husband!!! Does that count?

With biceps and abs like that, it shouldn't be a problem....:smile:
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    ladies, does it bother you when you hear a woman aspire to be a stay-at-home mom instead of working a career? several of my friends feel offended by it because 'it's not the 50s; women can do more than that now'. how do you feel about schools teaching girls how to cook and sew (a lost art)?

I figure that we now have a choice, and that's what is important. Do what you want, not going to bother me.

And honestly, I think it would have been great to have had those classes when I was in school. I'm a horrible cook and I can barely sew a button. Just makes me feel useless. (However, I can bake like a pro :wink: )
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    To those of you who have mentioned that a woman shouldn't be totally financially dependent on a man for finances, the key to that is to keep him totally dependent on you for sandwiches.

(And yes, I'm joking)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I think it would be great for schools to teach girls to cook and sew ... but only if they teach the boys, too.
    Those are skills that EVERYBODY needs ... plus laundry, budgeting, credit cards, basic car maintenance, basic carpentry, etc.

Our high schools should make a basic life skills class mandatory for graduation.
    We are pushing all students to learn calculus (which is great, but rarely real-life useful), whereas they'd be way better off if we taught them to understand credit and credit ratings or how to evaluate buying a car vs. leasing, etc.

This!
    Spot on!
    When I went to school we did learn some basic cooking, sewing and carpentry skills and it has helped me no end. I am super handy around the house, but it took me 8 years to learn how to budget, and of course I am suffering for that now!

The class should be called "how to not need your mommy to take care of you in your 30s - 101"
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would loooooove to be a stay at home mom, but that's just not realistic at this point in my life. I was a single mom for 8 years so I had no choice but to work. I just got married this year, but my husband does not make enough to support us all at this time so I still must work. I'm ok with that for the time being, but I want to have another child and I don't want to figure out child care for me to return to work. So that being said, when a woman talks about being a stay at home mom it does kind of bother me... because I'm jealous of her. But I'm still happy for her that she's able to do that.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I wish that they taught everyone to cook, sew (just the basics), balance a checkbook and basically do those day to day chores that ALL grow-ups have to do. They could call it Real Life 101
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I think people should be allowed to aspire tobe whatever they want to be. As for teaching girls how to cook and sew,well I think that dependes on if thats what they want to learn to do,girl or boy
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Anyone and everyone who lives on their own or with a family unit should know how to cook AND clean. Unless you can afford servants to cook and clean .. you better find a way to learn these skills or you will be a complete mess in the adult world. THAT goes for both men and women. What ever happend to co-ed home education?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Men that are stay at home dads (the term actually makes me want to vomit) have absolutely no testicles.

Isn't there something inside you as a man that needs to provide for your family?

It depends on the man. Most men simply couldn't live with an arrangement where he stayed home with the kids while his wife earned a living to support the family. I understand that, and I don't think it's sexist. I think it's natural.

However, there are some marriages where the wife makes considerably more money than the husband and is more likely to increase her earning potential. If they have young children and decide that one parent needs to stay home with the kids, it would be financially stupid for the wife to give up a lucrative career that would provide a comfortable life for her family. Obviously, if the husband isn't okay with being the stay-at-home parent, then it's not going to work, but if he's willing to swallow his pride and make the best decision for the family, I don't think that makes him less of a man. There's more than one way to take care of your family.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just something about it does not sit right with me. A man letting a woman provide for him? How does that guy even achieve and maintain an erection?

This pisses me off.

In case you haven't noticed, it's no longer 1950. A woman can provide for her family just as well, or even better, than any man could.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    What my parents did was that my dad worked days and my mom worked nights. Both got to get out and work, but still felt like stay-at-home parents too...best of both worlds! I loved having my mom and dad equally involved in my lives.