Protien.

Options
I'm really new at getting into the habbit of good nutrition. What are some good sources of protien?

Replies

• andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Same problem here.....but I'm learning and so far I have found"

Lean meat
    Nuts
    Eggs/ Egg whites

lol Thats my list so far.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Take a look at mt food plan on my blog. Lots of good High protein ideas
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Fish & Tofu as well as what others have mentioned
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am under doctor's orders to eat at least 50g protein every 3 hours, which is HARD to do, so I have a nice long list for ya. :smile:

Snacks: hard-boiled eggs (eat the whole darn thing, not just whites, or you'll miss out on half the nutrients!), almonds, cheese wedges or cheese cubes, beef jerky.
    My George Foreman grill is my lifesaver: you can grill (or bake, if you don't have a grill): fish filets, shrimp kabobs (with mushrooms & peppers, mmm!), pork chops, chicken, or steak.
    Some people use beans and/or tofu for protein, but I can't eat those as they have too many carbs. Don't know whether you're watching your carbs or not.
    Some people already mentioned Greek yogurt: I usually get the plain kind (flavored kinds usually have too many sugars & carbs for me) but then you can add flavor using part of a Crystal Light packet or a scoop of flavored protein powder.
    Which brings me to protein powders: they are my other lifesaver. I throw a scoop in a glass of water and drink that with every meal or snack. You can get it in flavors from chocolate truffle to lemon tea to cappuccino. Just watch the carb counts; some are a lot higher than others.
    Good higher-protein, lower-carb veggies are spinach, mushrooms, asparagus.
    I work at the Renaissance Faire, and when I'm there I live on turkey legs (of course!), scotch eggs, grilled chicken sandwiches (without the bun), and sausage on a stick.
    I would NOT use any of those so-called "protein bars." Most of them are just well-marketed candy bars, they have a ton of sugars & carbs along with the protein. Even the ones that say "low-carb" have an awfully high definition of "low." :wink:

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I got alot of info from reading all of your post...thanks:flowerforyou:
  • kiever88
    Options
    thanks everyone! vey helpful!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am under doctor's orders to eat at least 50g protein every 3 hours, which is HARD to do, so I have a nice long list for ya. :smile:

Snacks: hard-boiled eggs (eat the whole darn thing, not just whites, or you'll miss out on half the nutrients!), almonds, cheese wedges or cheese cubes, beef jerky.
    My George Foreman grill is my lifesaver: you can grill (or bake, if you don't have a grill): fish filets, shrimp kabobs (with mushrooms & peppers, mmm!), pork chops, chicken, or steak.
    Some people use beans and/or tofu for protein, but I can't eat those as they have too many carbs. Don't know whether you're watching your carbs or not.
    Some people already mentioned Greek yogurt: I usually get the plain kind (flavored kinds usually have too many sugars & carbs for me) but then you can add flavor using part of a Crystal Light packet or a scoop of flavored protein powder.
    Which brings me to protein powders: they are my other lifesaver. I throw a scoop in a glass of water and drink that with every meal or snack. You can get it in flavors from chocolate truffle to lemon tea to cappuccino. Just watch the carb counts; some are a lot higher than others.
    Good higher-protein, lower-carb veggies are spinach, mushrooms, asparagus.
    I work at the Renaissance Faire, and when I'm there I live on turkey legs (of course!), scotch eggs, grilled chicken sandwiches (without the bun), and sausage on a stick.
    I would NOT use any of those so-called "protein bars." Most of them are just well-marketed candy bars, they have a ton of sugars & carbs along with the protein. Even the ones that say "low-carb" have an awfully high definition of "low." :wink:

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Let me suggest "Designer Whey" Protein 100 Cal shake mix. They make an AWESOME french vanilla, one scoop is only 100 calories, 3g of carbs, 18g of protein, 2g of fat... I make icecream with mine using frozen wild-berries (Wymans of Maine), Silk Light Vanilla Soy milk and some ice... OH MY GAWD, its AWESOME!!!!