Protein Shakes

Options
I have some doubts over how protein shakes work. I usually drink one in the morning after my workout and to substitute a breakfast every once in a while. Still, I've been told that protein shakes are used to "make you fat" in order to build muscle I suppose. I'm afraid that if I do drink them, I will just end up gaining weight instead of losing it as is my goal. Any ideas?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yes protein shakes added to a high calorie diet will make you gain weight. Add it to a low calories diet and it will help you lose weight.
  • sarah829522
    Options
    I like articles on Bodybuilding.com site, such as this one that explains that there are differences in the way your body is able to use protein...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-bio-availability-explained.htm
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you're usin it from a tub...make sure its 'whey protein' and not 'weight gainer'....they'll look quite similar.
  • Juana_Pedroza
    Options
    Does it matter what kind of protein shake ? and also should we just add it to a low caloric diet or should we try and reduce the intake of anything else specific in our diet like carbs, or fats
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    They only help you gain weight if you buy the type that are used to gain weight.....

It's just like any food -- read the label.

My typical protein shake is 150 calories, 3g carb, 0g sugar and 28g protein -- I drink 2-3 a day and feel full all day.
    They sure don't make me gain weight.

If I bought a protein that was 300 calories a scoop -- I sure couldn't drink 3 of them a day.

EDIT: You want a good whey protein isolate (not concentrate) if you get a choice.
    There are a million brands out there --- no one can tell you what will taste good to you though -- test a few.
    Avoid the pre-mixed crap -- most of them are concentrate and not worth the extra money. Buy a 2lb jug and make them yourself.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to have same doubt, there is a way one must consume protein shake. If your idea is to lose weight then first thing in the morning if you have protein shake (whey protein) mixed with water, it will start burning fat.

Even, after workout Whey protein helps recovery process and releases Amino Acids.

I have been drinking protein shakes for past 3 months and have seen very positive effect on my body! Lost almost 22 pounds and built muscle.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    I used to have same doubt, there is a way one must consume protein shake. If your idea is to lose weight then first thing in the morning if you have protein shake (whey protein) mixed with water, it will start burning fat.

Even, after workout Whey protein helps recovery process and releases Amino Acids.

I have been drinking protein shakes for past 3 months and have seen very positive effect on my body! Lost almost 22 pounds and built muscle.

Most protein tastes like crap just jmixed with water -- so if you don't like it with water, try mixing it with part water and part soy milk or almond milk....or other things like cold coffee or diet v8 splash or crystal light --- they don't have to be made with just water.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    having a protein shake post workout will help the mouscles recover. faster recovering muscles means less muscle loss and more fat loss. for people losing weight this is a good thing. on a calorie deficient diet they will help you stay fuller longer and prevent snacking.

for people on a calorie excessive diet, usually people trying to gain lean muscle weight, the protein will help increase muscle size while limiting fat gains.

so no, drinking a whey protein shake that is low carb and low fat combined with a calorie deficient diet wont make you put on weight.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i am post op, gastric bypass. i used two prtotein shakes a day, to replace breakfast and dinner, pre-op and lost 88.5 pounds in about a year. now i have a 1 scoop/12 oz. skim milk shake for breakfast, most mornings. with quick weight loss i have to really make sure that i am losing fat, not muscle and in order to asure that, i have to have, at the bare minimum, consume at least 60 grams of protein a day...that is nearly impossible for me to do without a protein shake a day.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    i am post op, gastric bypass. i used two prtotein shakes a day, to replace breakfast and dinner, pre-op and lost 88.5 pounds in about a year. now i have a 1 scoop/12 oz. skim milk shake for breakfast, most mornings. with quick weight loss i have to really make sure that i am losing fat, not muscle and in order to asure that, i have to have, at the bare minimum, consume at least 60 grams of protein a day...that is nearly impossible for me to do without a protein shake a day.

60g is not enough --- and especially not as post-op gastric bypass since you don't absorb the same way.
    Whey protein isolate is most easily absorbed but your goal should be about double what it is. The default MFP settings are too low for most people -- and especially for post-op gastric bypass. You can change your goals...
  • Guerita83
    Options

What type of protein shake did you take or keep taking?? Would like to know, on a weight loss mission and any help, helps :)