Vitamins

Options
Maybe a stupid question but does taking a daily vitamin help you lose weight. What vitamins do you take daily? Right now I have multivitamins and calcium supplements but im really bad at remembering to take them.

Replies

• himiller3
    Options
    Vitamins always come back with mixed results.. The latest studies are showing that people who take them that don't need them, are actually doing more harm than good.

Though there isn't much consensus on a final determination, the easy answer would be to only take them if you need them (ie. you have a deficiency of some kind). If you eat the proper foods, you shouldn't need a multi vitamin.

However, the calcium supplements have never shown to do harm. Though a serving of fat free yogurt that has active cultures will be more beneficial.
  • StoneWorks
    Options
    I take a single multi vitamin (Centrum) every morning with breakfast as backup. If I don't happen to make the RDI (recommended dietary intake) of a particular vitamin or mineral, chances are the multi vitamin will help fill the gap.

From what I've read, you can overdose on certain minerals or vitamins, but you have to be trying hard. Selenium is the only one I know of that too much of can be seriously bad for you.

My personal opinion is that a multi vitamin is good, but it won't help you lose weight... only stay healthy.
  • mamakeke22
    mamakeke22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have taken a multi vitamin before along with others for hair and skin (such as cod liver oil, msm, evening primrose oil and biotin) but only did it for health reasons, not weight loss. I honestly doubt i could get every single little thing I need without a multi so I take one for backup and I like the other vitamins for certain things.

I am taking evening primrose oil again (for lady time issues), and want to take msm again (along with helping my hair, my joints didn't creak as much) and a cod liver oil or flaxseed oil.

I don't think they help for weight loss though. Just for health and whatnot.